It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN voting comment and question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I am pretty sure that I will be told this was covered in this thread by SO

www.abovetopsecret.com...

but in light of all the articles that sit in ATSNN for a long time without being voted up or down I thought it should be brought up.

Why can't there just be a NO vote like there is a YES vote -- leave the options if someone wants to pick them but also have just a plain NO vote that doesn't go to the person who wrote the article. I have seen a few articles that I didn't want to vote Yes on but I also didn't want to use one of the options. I know that the thinking is that this following button covers a NO vote but I don't feel that it is what most of us want to use.

Story Use this button to vote no, and send the author an anonymous message that you either do not like the story, or think it is inappropriate for the news portal of ATS.

I really feel that just having a plain old NO button would move things along better and we wouldn't have the stagnant articles waiting for that final vote. Anyway just a thought from a person who reads ATSNN everyday and votes on most everything -- except the ones I just want to put NO with no reason -I can't be the only one who feels that way can I?

edited to take out one of the questions in my subject line

[edit on 24-5-2005 by justme1640]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I certainly understand the frustration. I try to vote on these stories often. Some are clear-cut YES stories.
The NOs are a bit harder. The closest thing we have to a plain NO is the NO-story. That's the one I use the most. I think it's a kind of catch-all if no other NO works.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
DTOM I agree that the story one is a catch all No -- but I think that more people would vote if there a plain NO with nothing to go with it just like the Yes vote. Like I said I sometimes don't vote because I want to vote NO but I don't want to use the no story one -- I'm sure there are lots of other peole who don't vote for the same reason. I just think that it might be one of the causes of things staying on so long without being voted up or down. I was thinking it might be one of the quickest fixes to try before going into some harder option. Of course not being a computer person like SO what I think might be easier might be just as hard as any other fix.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Completely agree with the author. There are just a multitude of ATSNN submissions literally floating on the system. If you see a story that has a (submission) tag, don't ignore it. Vote for it

EDIT:
Just wanted to point out that today (May 24th) there have been 2 approved stories and 18 submissions that are still floating around. People, just vote.

[edit on 5/24/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Completely agree with the author. There are just a multitude of ATSNN submissions literally floating on the system. If you see a story that has a (submission) tag, don't ignore it. Vote for it

I don't know if I've taken the right attitude or response. I was voting originally because I would get ATS points and it was my way of participating in the community.

Now I go twice or three times a day and vote yes on those I feel are most worthy. I don't vote on those I don't feel worthy. Reason? Because members are complaining on the "No" votes.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sosuemetoo

I don't know if I've taken the right attitude or response. I was voting originally because I would get ATS points and it was my way of participating in the community.

I may be wrong, but I think the "Vote for Points" scheme has been discontinued..

Also, I would anytime prefer a reason why people voted NO for my story. At least I get to laugh about it. There has been an instance where I was voted "No source" when the story screamed of BBC as primary and Telegraph as the secondary source. Henceforth, I have decided only to use "The Royal Press of Timbaktu" as a source

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Quake]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Whenever an ATS member looks at a news item that still needs vote, a popup should come up saying.
VOTE OR YOU ARE A JERK

No but seriously, there should be a popup about voting, like after 20 seconds (so you have the time to read)
We only use popups for commercials, a missed chance if you ask me.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sosuemetoo

Now I go twice or three times a day and vote yes on those I feel are most worthy. I don't vote on those I don't feel worthy. Reason? Because members are complaining on the "No" votes.

I know when I would get a "No Story" vote in my u2u box I would generally figure that the person who sent it was using it as a catch-all but there was also a tiny part of me that thought they were just plain ignorant too. So I know I'm not going to use that one
But a "No" vote that doesn't go to the submitter is just like a "Yes" vote that doesn't go to the submitter. I like having the options that are there if I feel they apply I do use them but I sometimes just want to vote "NO"

Also I totally understand what you said about the points. I know that the points are not worth anything except some cool stuff you can get in the ATS store but I did feel that they showed that I was participating in the community.. Maybe they could bring back the points but only make it 1 point per vote like you get if you post in some forums.

I truly feel that both of these options either used together or one or the other might help things move along in the submission process.

I love ATSNN and it is just sad when articles stay up with a submission note for a long time -- sometimes I try to vote on them in the hopes it needs one more vote but I usually find that I have already voted on it. (Hey I never said I had a good memory
)

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Everytime you don't vote, a puppy dies.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Oh geeze Amory now everytime I don't vote because I want that one plain NO vote I will think about the puppies.
And I vote most of the time -- think it will work on some of the people who never vote

I don't mean to harp on this, but if we get enough people agreeing with having a simple no vote maybe we can get it added. And if all else fails maybe they could reinstate the point per vote making it just a single point.

There was an article on today that I didn't vote on because I didn't like the options for the no votes -- so I am left either hoping that it is voted up or down without my vote. And I actually feel bad that I didn't vote (and that was before Amory saying a puppy would die
)

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

There are just a multitude of ATSNN submissions literally floating on the system. If you see a story that has a (submission) tag, don't ignore it. Vote for it

I was just about to start my own thread whinging about this very same thing when i came accross this one!

Im so sick of seeing submissions with 150 views that still have not been voted 'up or down'!

All it takes is one click, and if you dont know what reason to give for saying no, just choose either 'not right' or 'story'!

Glad i got that off my chest at last!!!

Mic

top topics

join