It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition: The Banning of ALL GM FOODS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

To: US Department of Agriculture and US Congress

We, the Undersigned, request that the US Department of Agriculture and US Congress:

(1) The banning of production of GM (Geneticaly Modified) foods.
(2) The banning of sale of all GM foods.
(3) Aid for those who have been medically harmed by GM foods.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

I made this petition, get everyone you know to sign it.

UPDATE: Temporarily down, I need to make a new one without my email address showing.
Maybe someone else can make it: www.petitiononline.com...

[edit on 24-5-2005 by invader_chris]

[edit on 24-5-2005 by invader_chris]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
? Why? GM food is good. The man who started it has gone to Mexico, India, Africa(the parts they let him) and when he won the Nobel Prize they commended him with saving a BILLION lives. So, why would I kill a billion people? And note, not million with a m, but Billion, with a B.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Have a grapple before you sign the petition. They're pretty good.

banning terminator seeds is one thing and creating studies to examine the potential hazards is fine, but to ban them at this point? I'm not sure I see why. Maybe we should start with the stuff that we KNOW is hurting us and is not doing any good- like trans-fat in the cookies you feed your kids, flouride in the drinking water, and severed fingers in fast food.

The only harm I've ever heard of from GM food was that 18 year old guys had better start carding their dates to make sure that they aren't undressing an over-developed 13 year old.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
petitions in the first place are completely worthless and meaningless.

On-line petitions make regular petitions look like constitutional law.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I will not sign such a petition even though I am opposed to what companies like Monsanto are doing. GMOs can potentially help us quite a bit, but as with all things they need to be thougholy tested before they are cleared for sale. I wasn't aware of such testing for well any GM product on the market in Foodcenters today. I WILL sign a petition to have mandatory labelling on all affected products. Thats it.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sorry invader_chris, but I won't sign your petition, my position is quite the opposite... Not only do I want my food genetically modified, but I would like the same for myself. I figure I'm one mad scientist away from being human.

Best of luck to you anyway, but my money is on progress.

Genetically Modified Monkeys, not just for "B" horror flicks anymore...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Funny, BS with Penn and Teller did a show a year ago on this. Greenpeace wants to murder a billion people. They say GM food isn't tested/observed by any government group, but they are, like the FDA, USDA, American Health Association, FFA, and is thee most studied of anything we have today.

And again, the man who first started the GM foods won a nobel prize after saving a billion people. And that was a few years ago. Who knows how many more billions he has saved.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Honestly, I am personally, all for GM foods. The benefits seem to outweigh the possible (and as yet largely unknown) negatives. Here, I've found a few articles regarding GM foods. Have a read:

www.ornl.gov...
www.newscientist.com...
www.ncbe.reading.ac.uk...
home.howstuffworks.com...
www.sirc.org...
www.actionbioscience.org...
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.maf.govt.nz...

After reading these links, all illustrating both sides of the issue, don't you agree that it's a little soon to be trying to start banning GM foods, and perhaps more reasonable to label GM foods as such, and wait until labratory testing on such foods has come back with accurate and reliable results as to the benefits or harms of GM foods?

From what we know now, there's no reason to ban GM foods. Labelling them is probably a good idea. That way we can let the consumers decide for themselves. More drastic action can be taken as needed once we know more about any possible detrimental effects caused by GM foods.

Jumping the gun only leads to a false start.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by obsidian468
Honestly, I am personally, all for GM foods. The benefits seem to outweigh the possible (and as yet largely unknown) negatives. Here, I've found a few articles regarding GM foods. Have a read:

www.ornl.gov...

In 2003, about 167 million acres (67.7 million hectares) grown by 7 million farmers in 18 countries were planted with transgenic crops, the principal ones being herbicide- and insecticide-resistant soybeans, corn, cotton, and canola.

This is the main problem that I have with GM foods.
Modifying crops to be resistant to pests and diseases is fine but most crops are modified just to resist chemical herbicides so farmers can just spray their entire fields with herbicides like Round-UP.

When you consume GM foods you are also consuming Round-UP and other chemicals that were sprayed on these crops.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Modifying crops to be resistant to pests and diseases is fine but most crops are modified just to resist chemical herbicides so farmers can just spray their entire fields with herbicides like Round-UP.

When you consume GM foods you are also consuming Round-UP and other chemicals that were sprayed on these crops.

if you spent anytime on or near farms you'd know thats why you thoroughly wash whatever comes out of the field. Besides using GM crops yield more and prevent loses by insect consuming them.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
At the risk of getting told off for not strictly observing the thread's topic, this is an excellent, funny little presentation whichever side of the GM fence you reside on.

Store Wars

Personally for me the jury is still out. I think that it is important to examine the far reaching effects of what GM foods will do to us, but I think the research is important as well.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I am very wary of GM crops. Anything that is breed specifically to be resistant to what should be the natural law and order of nature concerns me. Like so many things that appear to be a ‘good idea’ at the time end up being dangerous to our health at some point in the future.

Of greater concern, in the short term, is the control that companies such as Monsanto will have over the food chain. I fear we will rue that day we embraced GM crops.

My vote – NO WAY.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   

flouride in the drinking water

Vegabond, I thought flouride in drinkind water was good especially for teeth cuz it helps to keep em white and kinda clean. In places where there is no flouride in water like Japan, PI, and Thailand people have jacked up teeth. Just wondering man.....
...how is it bad?

Sorry to get off topic

[edit on 25/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

I thought flouride in drinkind water was good especially for teeth cuz it helps to keep em white and kinda clean. In places where there is no flouride in water like Japan, PI, and Thailand people have jacked up teeth. Just wondering man.....
...how is it bad?

There is a plethora of research that shows that contrary to the story being peddled by supporters of fluoride that it is fact very dangerous. As with all things one must reach their own decision however fluoride is linked to: Increased hip fractures in seniors, decreased birth and sperms rates, there is research available that also shows that rather than decreasing tooth decay fluoride in drinking water can in fact increase the rate of decay. There are also links to behavioural disturbances and impaired cognitive function (fluoride crosses the blood-brain barrier) plus rare forms of cancer particularly in young boys. As stated any volume of research shows that artificial fluoridation is not an answer to tooth decay and that it carries significant health risks.

Often in places like Thailand the high levels of tooth problems are related to diet n ot the lack of fluoride. That said, some people are happy to pump poison into their system.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Yeah I wansnt really sure if fluoride in drinking water is good or bad....thanks for clearing it up

[edit on 25/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
James the Lesser, you can say it was tested all you want, but frankely I doubt it. By testing I was talking about tests conducted BEFORE they went on the market, this new trial highlights the fears of alot of people.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

In 2003, about 167 million acres (67.7 million hectares) grown by 7 million farmers in 18 countries were planted with transgenic crops, the principal ones being herbicide- and insecticide-resistant soybeans, corn, cotton, and canola.

This is also a problem with non-modified crops. Remember the whole issue with DDT in the 70s? This is why I have been taught from as early as I can remember to wash any produce I buy. In addition, many pesticides and herbicides have been engineered to affect only the targeted group of plants/animals, and not affect the desired crops. You are familliar with the practice of crop dusting, right? This practice of spraying crops with pesticides from aircraft has existed since long before we started laboratory engineering of foods. So, even without genetically enhancing foods, we still have crops covered in pesticides when we buy them at the store. The solution is simple - wash your food before you eat it.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hahahaha! I got you on this one Sardion! Be right back....

Started by Norman Borlog, the Nobel Prize winner for saving a Billion lives, GM, or GE crops are safe! Or else you would have a billion dead people, not a billion saved people. I think if a billion people ate it, you would have noticed side effects, but there aren't. ALso, I know you think(keyword, think) They just one day said "Hey, lets splice human DNA with a tomato and sell it to people." But that isn't what happened.

"You can't build a world of Peace on empty stomachs and human misery." Norman Borlog, Nobel Prize Winner, Savoir of a billion people.
BTW, he won it in 1970, so he probably has saved another billion lives by now.
THEY ARE TESTED! Don't listen to Greenpeace, they want to commit mass murder on over a billion people. GE crops are the MOST Tested/scrutinized(think that's the word) crops EVER! Wanna know who tested/researched them?

EPA-Regulates if pesticides are involved
USDA-Where they are grown and how the Enviroment will be affected
FDA-FOOD SAFETY!!!!!!
FFA-Basic Agriculture
AHA-Affects on Humans, which is NONE!

They go through many MILLIONS of dollars worth of testing a year to be approved as a commercial crop. Sorry, Greenpeace/other idiot activists may want to kill a billion+ people, but until you find a billion+ people willing to starve to death, SHUT UP! These foods feed A BILLION+ A YEAR! China was starving, but Norman Borlog comes in and saves the day with GE rice that quadruples the amount made.

So, until you are starving to death, don't tell others what they can and can't eat.

Who is Monsanto?
You posted while I was adding the rest.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Besides using GM crops yield more and prevent loses by insect consuming them.

Yeah but for how long? It's no surprise that insects can resist insecticides, are we only creating future super resistant insects. GM crops also tend to rob the soil of its nutrients after harvests.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Hahahaha! I got you on this one Sardion! Be right back....

James make sure it's in Peer reviewed format from a reputable journel. I will not accept any studies done by Monsanto

scholar.google.com...

Whatever you find be sure to post it though as I've only seen studies done after the fact they became commersialized.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join