It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars 3 Accused Of Republican Bashing (from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:52 PM
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith has been labeled an "anti-Republican diatribe" and politicians on both sides are debating the political message it contains. The undertones of a corrupted democracy and a fear-mongering leader are clear and both sides are trying to use it to their advantage. Lines in the movie are reminiscent of George W. Bush's own speeches including "If you're not with me, you're my enemy" to which Obi Wan replies "Only Sith deal in absolutes".
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A year after Michael Moore weighed into the 2004 presidential campaign with "Fahrenheit 9/11," both sides of America's partisan divide are debating the political messages of a far different movie -- "Star Wars."

Even before it opened in theaters last week, some observers were drawing unflattering parallels between the story of interplanetary treachery in "Star Wars: 'Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" and the Bush administration's war on terror and its decision to invade Iraq.

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas has insisted that his themes of corrupted democracy and the rise of a fear-mongering tyrant were outlined decades ago, informed by Watergate and the Vietnam era, as well as Hitler's rise to power, rather than today's politics.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I must say that these are exactly the thoughts that went through my head whilst watching this movie. Until I actually gasped when Anakin said "If you're not with me, you're my enemy" a clear swipe at George W. Bush.

To me, to see this kind of message embedded into a pop-culture icon such as Star Wars is amazing. Although Lucas has distanced himself from those claiming its leveled at Bush the parallels are apparent.

When Padme says "This is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." I could only think of the Patriot Acts. The basis of the Chancellor seeking more and more executive powers are the same, security. Anakin even tries to defend the new laws as saying that giving up our freedoms can only "shorten the War" completely in tune with those whom view the Patriot Act as nothing more than a security blanket.

Fascinating that this made the news, I thought I was just reading something into this movie that I wanted to see.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:57 PM
Although I noticed such similarities, the groundwork for this was laid years ago, long before the Bush administration. I don't really think it's an anti-Bush movie.

Just a quick fact, when Palpatine states "I am the Senate", thats probably not a Bush reference. It's actually closer of a reference to King Louis XVII, the sun king if I'm not mistaken. King Louis once said "I am the state". Sounds a lot like a French monarchy reference if anything to me.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:00 PM
I have a related discussion thread here: Is Star Wars III Anti-Bush?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:04 PM
There's already a thread on this subject at ATS....And I must admit that this is one of the lamest attempts at news I've seen recently, amongst a crowd of other such examples....

What's the point? Where is this going? And why should a matter of opinion on an artistic form of expression be deemed a newsworthy event? It's an attempt to create a fuss about nothing and it's done a good job so far....

I've yet to hear a suitable argument.....

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:12 PM
How about the fact that the Republicans are trying to get this movie boycotted because they automatically assume it is bashing Bush. Just exactly why do they fear this movie? If they have nothing to hide then this movie should be like water off a ducks back.

But no, we see attempts to get this movie banned.

Also the fact that news outlets are giving lipservice to the supposed undertones of probably the highest grossing movie of all time is important. The cultural implications of this are there and should be allowed to be discussed.

I also think how vociferous the GOP is about this "apparent" slight against Bush smacks of a guilty conscience and fear. A fear that history will repeat itself and even the most unengaged lay-person will put 2 and 2 together and see how bad giving up your freedoms for personal security can end up. Just look at Vader they'll say!

[edit on 24/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:16 PM
I think the best part of this article was left out - Perfectly fits my opinion on this subject matter:

But Paul Levinson, a communications and media scholar at Fordham University in New York, disagreed with the analysis of "Revenge of the Sith" as an anti-Republican diatribe.

Instead, he saw the film in terms that Bush supporters could rally around -- a cautionary tale about the menace posed by evil if not fully eradicated, as in the resurgence of Darth Vader after his inconclusive battle with Obi-Wan.

Applied to current events, he said, the message could be: "When we're confronting terrorism we have to do more than wound it -- we have to completely annihilate it ... because if even one drop of it survives, it could regain its power and do us enormous damage again."

Levinson said the politicization of "Star Wars" is a reflection of the highly charged partisan climate that persists after last year's bitterly fought presidential contest.

In the absence of an overtly political film like "Fahrenheit 9/11," Moore's scathing anti-Bush documentary, "people are seizing on something that has some political content and making the most of it."

Damn skippy....

Also the fact that news outlets are giving lipservice to the supposed undertones of probably the highest grossing movie of all time is important. The cultural implications of this are there and should be allowed to be discussed.

If that where the subject of the MEDIA and not the people who see PAST the media, then that would mean a bit more....As it stands, there are few people who have minds of their own left in the US - The rest are in a perpetual state of fear and nod their heads at every word they hear.....

[edit on 5/24/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:17 PM
oh yeah? well, when I play my records backwards they tell me to do horrible things.

must... obey...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:20 PM
No GOP group is trying to get this banned! The only thing I saw was a call from a fringe group that hates EVERY Hollywood movie.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:22 PM
Either way, it is newsworthy.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:26 PM
I just saw the movie. I did not perceive any relevant political bias. There were political scenes which stuck out like sore thumbs, but not because they were intended to be relevant to the current political situation. George Lucas is a terrible writer. I love Star Wars but God that man can't write lines.
In the words of Harrison Ford, "**** it George maybe you can write that stuff but you can't say it!"

There might be more of a case to be made if this movie was written before the fillibuster issue came to the forefront, but the bottom line is that G-dub has not made analogous moves to undermine the senate (something that Emperor Palpatine has been doing since 1970 something when "A New Hope" came out- its not like this is really a new plot line!).

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:31 PM
Look, I'm a Republican and I love the Star Wars saga since I first saw it in New Hampshire in 1977. Everything have to do with Star Wars in my upbringing predated my political leanings.

I just focus on the classic good-vs-evil story with strong mythological-inspired figures, religious correlations and even political undertones which are secondary elements to the story (in other words, useful tools to relatively enhance and dramatize the story efficiently). Star Wars saga's special and visual effects are awesome to watch, a feast for the eyes and the minds.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:48 PM
I think the fact that George Lucas based his Star Wars series in a historical basis, and not current events, is why the GOP wants this movie to be rated R and not PG13.

If this movie had explicit criticism of Bush the Republicans could rebuff it as one mans biased political rant. But because Lucas has so diligently based his movie on our common history the ending is unrefutable and the similarities are there. History, not Star Wars, is telling us how this will end.

Let me reiterate that, history - not Star Wars, is showing us what giving up more and more freedoms for a sense of saftey ends up as. An absolute dictatorship.

Even the most unengaged lay-people can see the result of what happens when you do this. Its so easy to understand in movie form and so many millions will see this. This is what is scaring the hell out of the GOP.

Santayana said it best when he said "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". Im sure you can find millions of Germans who believed Hitler had their best intentions at heart. I bet the Bolsheviks thought they were doing the right thing as well. And on and on. Santayana went on to say, with utter clarity:

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness…. when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual.

This is the condition of children and barbarians, in whom instinct has learned nothing from experience."

[edit on 24/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 07:46 PM
you underestimate the light side of the force......

i just LOVE this. george lucas wants to make a movie that illustrates how a democracy is arrested into a dictatorship. he uses all of human history as his paradigm.
the bushes watch the movie and get angry how transparent the parallels are, and then, they blame lucas for making an 'anti-bush' movie.

i'll repeat the last sentence.....

the bushes watch the movie and get angry how transparent the parallels are, and then, they blame lucas for making an 'anti-bush' movie.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:14 PM
The only people who will benefit by attributing more to this movie than is really there is George Lucas and anyone with royalty rights. Everyone else is just blowing hot air.

Contrary to the odious Michael Moore, Lucas doesn't claim that Star Wars is a documentary. Boy, that would really get Byrd exercised. The best Lucas can claim is that it is an allegory, and even then he will only acknowledge the he was influenced by the US role in Vietnam.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:42 PM
It is a movie. It is part of a 6 movie franchise that something like a billion people have enjoyed over the years.

It's not changing to R. It's not being taken off the market.

A record setting opening weekend shows me that this attempt by politicians to continue to invade every single aspect of our lives has failed.

Regardless of the chatter of whiny politicians, this movie will be seen by all its fans and tragically for the politically inclined, life will go on, whether they like it or not. Not everything is about them.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 09:11 PM
I have always loved Star Wars, ever since i was a kid, but after all it is a movie.

What i find hilarious is that some people have to use a sci-fi movie to further their political agenda.... They are that desperate...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:03 AM
I heard some political banter about this before I went and saw it last night. I saw nothing that makes me think it is anti republican or democrat. I will say that Lucas is really not terribly smart. The movie was intellectually sophmoric at best. I would accuse him of hubris but in doing so I guess I would be displaying that myself. I've had a few rums so cut me some slack

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Apoc]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:10 AM
Think of Star Wars in its entirety, all its episodes or chapters. It is a modern morality play that derives from thousands of years of the observation of human nature. The way that the hooded figures operate as the Sith is the same grim reaper as the myth of a death oriented mythology. It is not about political parties, it is about human nature. What happens in Star Wars is what happens over thousands of years of history.

People become compacent and death dealing people arise into former positions of power, power meaning offices that operated in the past in a noble commonwealth. What you have from a cult of death, never mind the outward trappings of Yale University in its "Skull and Bones," fraternity if you will. We are talking about a lifelong group of elite people who engage in bizarre ceremonies emphasizing much more than simply Halloween horror. It is an "order of death," a division 322, and its goal is not charity and good will, it is the advancement of its members strategically into positions of what was once power, but is now simply the exploitation of the ghost of it. That ghost of what was once good is command and control, and it has devolved into a downward spiral. Such things never I mean never establish themselves forever, tyranny sows the seeds of its own downfall. Face it, Hitler was a loser, Stalin was a loser, but the price ordinary people had to pay was far too high. Think in the Star Wars extension of that very human mythology, the very fact that the Republic was so strong and good established a host for what was evil. Men who never could have built such an excellent State, simply drop themselves into a critical mass of power leverage.

If Republicans think that this story is simply "Bush bashing," they are looking only on the most superficial and near blinded level of things. Should the New World Order recover its senses, and see the loser of a position they have delineated, then the nation and world may recover. If such things continue through the technologies that good people have brought into force, it will be difficult or next to impossible to erase the damage of those who advantage all that invention to narrow vision of so called wealth.

Only a form of repentence and a turning towards the true Heavenly Father in grace can move away the mountains of death dealing syncophants who would know better and do what is right. Only the persistent ascendence of moral character proving itself daily as evidence, can reverse this tide of sin and death.

Bush laughing at Carla Fay Tucker should have been a clue enough to the lack of character, and contempt even for the plea of the Holy Father on that matter alone. Is actual repentence possible for our national leadership? We must all hope so on the evidence of future actions from such a step towards sobriety and sanity.

If the Republican leadership thinks Star Wars is Bush bashing, they have no clue whatsoever to the actual symbolisms of the story.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:21 AM
At least the Bush supporters understood one thing : They're the bad guys.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:29 AM

I loved your post.

After all the babble and counter-babble above your post hits the nail right on the head.

No matter what the movie may or may not say, one fact remains. The Bush Administration are the bad guys.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>