It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pluto's destruction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
i was in science todya and i learned that pluto has another axis of orbit with the sun, and sometimes comes closer to the sun then neptune. this got me thinking. "well chances are pretty slim that they keep the same course each time, so whats stopping them from colliding?"

such a blast would create meteors that could travel closer to the sun then pluto was traveling, and eventually hit the earth.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
You're thinking two dimensional, that's the problem. If you think three dimensions, you'll know that inclination is also a factor. That is why they will never collide.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Pluto and Neptune will never collide.

If you want to know why not look at this!

www.nineplanets.org...

and read this

www.nineplanets.org...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Remember you heard it here first...I was told this in the 80's.
Pluto is not a planet.

www.space.com...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
One of my favorite things to do in Grade school was point out to everyone that Pluto wasn't the farthest planet out when they tried to say it was. I even confused a teacher by saying "As it is now, or the way it normally is?"

Well, you need to define "Planet" first. since there really hasn't been any defined "size" for planets. Only other way is to limit it by where it's orbit is.

What if we ever find that fabled planet X?

[edit on 5/24/2005 by Jehosephat]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone
Remember you heard it here first...I was told this in the 80's.
Pluto is not a planet.

Pluto IS a planet

originally from nineplanets.com
There are some who think Pluto would be better classified as a large asteroid or comet rather than as a planet. Some consider it to be the largest of the Kuiper Belt objects (also known as Trans-Neptunian Objects). There is considerable merit to the latter position, but historically Pluto has been classified as a planet and it is very likely to remain so.

Quote From Here!

Although Pluto is not very large and is only slightly larger than some of the objects in the Kuiper Belt, it is still a planet.
The thing that makes it a planet for me is the fact that it has its own moon (Charon).

Some people even like to think of Pluto and Charon as a double planet as Charon is unusual in that it is the largest moon with respect to its primary planet in the Solar System (a distinction once held by Earth's Moon).

originally posted by jehosephat
One of my favorite things to do in Grade school was point out to everyone that Pluto wasn't the farthest planet out when they tried to say it was. I even confused a teacher by saying "As it is now, or the way it normally is?"

This is very true.
For 20 years at a time Pluto is closer to the Sun than Neptune is (as it was January 1979 thru February 11 1999). But like was said before by T_Jesus, Pluto and Neptune paths will never cross if u think of the solar system in a 3-dimensional sense.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Pluto is only considered a planet for the sake of tradition. It's considered a Kuiper Belt Object by most astronomers/astrophysicists nowadays.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus
Pluto is only considered a planet for the sake of tradition. It's considered a Kuiper Belt Object by most astronomers/astrophysicists nowadays.

But how many other Kuiper objects have their own moon???

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
How many kuiper belt objects have thier own moon? we don't know.

the question "Is pluto a planet" has been debated since it was first discovered. Tradition says it is, but scientific nomanclature says it isn't. The Asteroid Ceres is another good "psuedo-planet" canidate. as well as mercuray.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Gravity / Planetary magnetic fields. The "Pull" and "Push".

[edit on 25-5-2005 by White Widow]

top topics

join