It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian switchblade equivalent concept

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here's Russia's very own switchblade concept :

pictures are small ; no need to resize them

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here are pictures of the American Switchblade :

go read more about it at and look at more pictures here

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
From the side view tableau that you posted are we to take it that this is a Sukhoi design?

It is actually a quite different concept from the Switchblade patent as it transforms from a straight wing to an X-wing and the leading and trailing edges are constant whereas the US design transforms into a delta and the leading/trailing edges are reversible.

As far as I can tell the Switchblade never progressed beyond the patent (unless you count the "F/A-37" which has never flown anyway). This Russian scheme (even if it is official) probably stands just as little chance because what is it useful for? With the wings out straight it would be good for take off's, landings and low speed manoevres but with them splayed apart I would be very wary of trying anything fancy in case they broke off.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think tis russian website has all the details, but i cant read whatever language its written in.

Link

can some russian ATS member translate this ?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Is anyone acquainted with any free online translation services, because i really want to know more details of this russian double swing winged jet.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
From what I see, this seem to be a Sukhoi desing bureau study... But not sure of what I read

Nice fnd, stealth.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Going by the way it looks and comparing them with other PAK_FA designs, it might not be impossible that this thing may be the PAK-FA

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
take a look at the the other PAK-FA designs at www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Well, the fuselage does look like the PAK-FA prot... But those always look alike each other, so hard to tell...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
A very basic translation/synopsis:

the first part of the article just laments the old Soviet war machine that genrously funded weapon systems development.

Then the second part talks about the PAK FA and a large bomber called the T-50 OKB and their possible characteristics.

The article goes on to discuss future programs and what would constitute a 6th Gen aircraft - It says that such aircraft would probably be unmanned and that any manned 6th gen aircraft would most likely be an "airborne command post" directing the unmanned aircraft (UCAVs) to their targets.

The reference to the swing-wing configuration says this:
"For the purposes of flight service at low altitudes and for short takeoff and landing, the Multi-Purpose Fighter could be equipped with a variably swept wing."

Also the aircraft will allow for supercruising very efficiently.

At the end of the article it says that these aircraft projects stand "zero" chance of being built as it stands now, but even so optimistically places them entering service around 2020.

**thanks to intelgurl for a quick 2 minute translation over the phone while eating a granola bar in a hangar with lots of jet engine noise in the background which kept me from understanding some of what she said.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
looks kind of funny to me.. All these switchblade things do.. remind me of those X wing fighters from star wars..

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
I think tis russian website has all the details, but i cant read whatever language its written in.

Link

can some russian ATS member translate this ?

This site can do Russian to English (among others), and its free.(as its name applies)

www.freetranslation.com...

edit: that one had a few errors when i used it, so heres another/different one.
world.altavista.com...

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bios
At the end of the article it says that these aircraft projects stand "zero" chance of being built as it stands now, but even so optimistically places them entering service around 2020.

How typically Russian.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
typically... a not-to-be-seen date

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Did you go some Chinese BBS to get this pics?

But that BBS just found these PICs from www.abovetopsecret.com...
Dima: posted on 13-12-2004 at 12:08 Post Number: 1025752 (post id: 1047645)
Do you really consider that X-plane could be push in to the sky?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Looks horribly complex for a combat aircraft. TWO sets of wings for things to go wrong with? Nah...not the Russian KISS style. This looks like an American boondoogle all the way.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Did you go some Chinese BBS to get this pics?

But that BBS just found these PICs from www.abovetopsecret.com...
Dima: posted on 13-12-2004 at 12:08 Post Number: 1025752 (post id: 1047645)

Nope i found it myself through a link from Vernik's russian tech site.

Do you really consider that X-plane could be push in to the sky?

If the Switchblade could, i bet this thing could as well (subject to funding
)

top topics

join