It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Streaming OS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
At the moment we are using an analogue connecting for out internet access, and we currently use a maximum of 5% of the bandwidth. ISP's throughout Britain are currently attempting to switch to digital so they can use 95% of the bandwidth.

This would mean standard speeds of around 80-100 MBPS. With this kind of speed would it be possible to not even have an OS installed on a computer, and just stream it from the web?

Just a thought...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
With a 100 Mbs connection, not at all. Thats just LAN speed and it can be painfully slow at times. You'd need a much faster connection to do as you imagine. Maybe a 1,000 Mbs connection would be able to do it with no lag time, but I'd have to see it too believe it as NETWORKS can be finnicky at the best of times. Wireless is even more of a headache as you have to deal with dropped connections every now and then.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yes but if we can change to digital we could actually reach speeps of 100 MBPS. That is enough to load an OS and steam it.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
At the moment we are using an analogue connecting for out internet access, and we currently use a maximum of 5% of the bandwidth. ISP's throughout Britain are currently attempting to switch to digital so they can use 95% of the bandwidth.

This would mean standard speeds of around 80-100 MBPS. With this kind of speed would it be possible to not even have an OS installed on a computer, and just stream it from the web?

Just a thought...

It's called a "dumb terminal" (yes, really) and was popular back in the days of the "big iron" (mainframes.) Basically you get stuck with whatever they foist off on you and you can't install your own programs.

And you can't take it anywhere.

Now... you might really really like that. I've been there. I programmed that. My not-so-scientific reaction is "ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!"

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Oh yeah Dumb Terminals. I remember them lol. They were horrible and slow to boot. Allthough I do seem to remember that it's OS was in the form of Firmware and everything else was streamed. Man it was such a long time ago, I'm glad it went out of style.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I can't imagine a single reason why you'd want to do that, so I assume you're just kind of asking if it's possible with those speeds. Really, streaming information over a network is just adding another bottleneck to your computing speed - you're already slowed down by your processor, cache, memory, hard drive speed, etc. This might take some of the load off of your processor, but the load still has to go somewhere, and that somewhere would be an expensive server at the other end of the line.

Why would you want a remote computer, run by faceless admins, having complete control over what your computer does?

Zip

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hmm, on the other hand, I can think of some beneficial applications of this method of computing, as far as, for instance, kiosks at computer shows, ATMs, and any other type of terminal that must be either tightly controlled or often updated, but I don't think the home user would really be benefitted.

Zip

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion

Just a thought...

I dont like it because if the OS fail or is down, everybody's computer will be down as well.

It would be kind of unefficient to do so.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well, I don't think the future OS will be streaming (they are too big and are going even more comlex and bigger with each new version).

But this technology can be used to fight software piracy. Imagine program which has most of the parts (99%) downloaded on your harddrive, but the small critical parts are stored on the server and you need to be connected to the server in order to be able to use the software.

new topics

top topics

join