It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colonel offers uplifting take on war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Lt. Col. Tim Hill of Huntington said he felt the media was presenting the public with an incomplete picture of the conflict by focusing on the insurgency that began in the wake of the end of major combat operations.

The problem with that type of coverage, according to Hill, is that it gives the impression that the majority of Iraqi citizens are against the Americans. He said that in his experience, nothing could be further from the truth.

www.dailyindependent.com... onel24.txt

Hill said he was always treated favorably by the locals, including the youngsters who would crowd around him and clamor for the candy they knew he always carried in his pockets.

He showed a slide of a photo taken during his duty of two young girls, their faces beaming.

Hill compared Iraq to an abused child whose citizens were cowed from years of living under the brutal regime of Saddam Hussein.

"We are a nation who believes 'In God We Trust.' They were a nation that believed 'In Saddam We Fear,'" he said.

This story appeared in my home town news paper, I wantd to share it with those who are supporting our troops, so that you could see that we are doing some good in Iraq.

[edit on 24-5-2005 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Is this from the war two years ago? The war wa over march 2003, its takin this long to get something uplifting, sad.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I guess I didn't realize that he might have been there in 2003, besides it doesn't matter when he was there, he went and did his job.

If you read the article, it's in the context that he decided to come forward and tell his story now, due to the kind of coverae the war is getting and the way that the U.S. is being portrayed over there.

It hasn't taken this long to get a good story... you're just looking for something to pick at here... thats all....

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
you're just looking for something to pick at here... thats all....

I dont understand why you are always negative toward me.

I just think its a shame that he waits two years later whe there are problems to give an uplift.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
not necessarily negative directly at you, that would have been posted regarldess of anyone who pointed out the negative in this thread...

thats all... its all good...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think it's ridiculous to interpret the fact that not 100% of Iraqis don't hate us, as some kind of uplifting news. I don't see anything uplifting, except for the lifting force of the shockwave, coming out of the recent salvo of car bombings, suicide bombings and other types of slaughter happening in this sad country.

Givernment officials are routinely killled on the way to or from work. Society isn't really functional. What's uplifting in that?

Children asking you for some candy... That's a big freaking achievment.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Children asking you for some candy...

Probably because they had nothing else to eat. How can this be uplifting news is what I want to know as well. I've actually spoken to some Canadian contractors setting up payroll systems in Iraq and the picture they painted for me was not pretty at all. I say it's the opposit, the News Media isn't really telling us just how bad things are over there right now. Iraq is close to a Civil war and there isn't much we can do to stop it. Hell we cannot even stop the Insurgency who's supposedly a bunch of Ragtag terrorists who aren't even Iraqi. Yeah right. There is no such thing as the Insurgancy just different factions all vying for control of this crippled country.

new topics

top topics

join