It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunlight makes me sneeze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I have an odd and rare condition in which i sneeze whenever i walk under direct sunlight. It is really no big deal, but it has been a mystery to me for some time. Could someone please help me identify what it is that makes me sneeze whenever i walk into the sun.
Of course i joke about it all the time telling people that it is because i am so evil (i am not the least bit evil), but i would really like to know.
=tom

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Why does sunlight cause sneezing?

Up to 25% of us can't escape it. We walk out of a dark movie theater into the bright sunlight, and then it happens: "Ah choo!" This sneeze reflex is a genuine phenomenon. So what causes it?

Close association between the eye’s optic nerve and nerves causing the sneeze reflex may explain why an estimated 5-25% of people sneeze with sudden exposure to bright sunlight or other light sources.

Sudden bright stimulation of the eye that occurs after a person has become adapted to darker surroundings is thought to bring on the condition, known as photic sneeze reflex. The reflex also is called Autosomal Dominant Compelling Helioophthalmic Outburst Syndrome, known by the acronym ACHOO. (Not making this up. Really.)

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
You a half vimpire half human? could be hehe, since vimpires no like suns. and since you are half vimpire the sunlight won't do as much damage to you if you are a full vimpire hehe

of course i can be wrong

:bnghd:
*ulshadow hits himself into the wall to make some sense out of himself

[edit on 24-5-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well, don't poke fun at me for calling this rare. I could be in the slightest amount of shade, like a tree or something, and i walk out. Boom! Sneezing fit. Really, it gets some strange looks. So, even though everyone does this, i am what you would call hyper-sensitive. I never knew that it had anything to do with the eyes. Thanks for the info.
And about the vampire thing...

Run, i'm hungry.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Not poking fun.
Just saying you're not alone. You may be super sensitive to it though or have an advanced case of Autosomal Dominant Compelling Helioophthalmic Outburst Syndrome (ACHOO).

Love that name.

Wait. That acronym wouldn't be ACHOO. Stupid scientists!

[edit on 24-5-2005 by RANT]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I like the way you think. ANyway, i always thaught that it had something to do with the sun's radiation and particles in the nose. Don't know where i got that idea though.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Don't worry Tom...I get the exact thing. I asked my Dr. about it and he kinda chuckled...he said don't worry about it...he called it photo sensitivity.
Sometimes when i feel a sneez comming on and can't quite get it out all I have to do is stare at a light bulb (turned on of course) and out it comes!
Just keep a lot of tissues with you!!!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The same thing happens to me. It's kind of funny, though, and never really bothers me. I only sneeze once or twice, never a real sneezing fit because of it. More until I'm used to the light.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
sometiems i need to sneeze, so i glance up at the sun and it charges me with a solar sneeze, ah the power of fire

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have this condition.
And brown hair to boot..Quite a rarity I am..

I have a better term for it BTW..

Sunsnots..

heheheheahchoo! dammit

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We are the few....The proud....

I first noticed it when I was pretty young....I'd tell people to look at a light when they were trying to sneeze - They'd look at it for a bit, then look back at me and call me crazy - lol

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
And brown hair to boot..Quite a rarity I am..

I have a better term for it BTW..

Sunsnots..

heheheheahchoo! dammit

Sunsnots? hahahaha

Why is it a rarity to have brown hair and sneeze in the sun?

I have brown hair as well, I believe Enron does, too, and I think Lysergic does, too.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
solar sneezer UNITE

Solar Sneeze power ACTIVATE!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Sunsnots? hahahaha

Why is it a rarity to have brown hair and sneeze in the sun?

I have brown hair as well, I believe Enron does, too, and I think Lysergic does, too.

Oh, I was just being sarcastic..
See the opening post, then Rants first post..

then, check this out:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Oh, I was just being sarcastic..
See the opening post, then Rants first post..

then, check this out:

Ah, gotcha!
(silly me
)

*itchy nose*

join