It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dangers of Splenda and other Artificial Sweeteners!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Violent chick says:

At a temperature of 86 degrees the wood alcohol in Aspartame converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid which then causes metabolic acidosis.

Let's see: You say it's bad.

Snopes says it isn't.
The FDA says it isn't.
The AMA says it isn't.
The legal system says it isn't, since none of the anti-aspartame guys have been able to mount a successful lawsuit.

Nothing personal, chick, but I think I'm going to go with the professionals on this one.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I stay away from Splenda now.

I use Stevia in my decaf coffee--I get it at Ritzman Pharmacy in Medina County, OH--they sell health food stuff there too. It has to be marketed as a supplement and not a sweetener for some stupid reason.

I have the kind with fiber added. I heard fiber will help you lose weight.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
How does Stevia taste?

My mom is such a diet soda addict. She has a lot of bodily pain, my guess is this could be part of it. Drives me nuts, she takes headache pills with a diet soda that potentialy causes headaches?

I've stripped some of the crap from my diet, and it does seem beneficial to do so. That more or less speaks for itself.

And I don't care how many stamps of approval the FDA puts on it, or how many freakin hearts the Heart Association puts on it, crap is crap. A polished turd is still a turd.

Troy

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I buy Stevia in liquid form at Safeway's here in Canada in the Vitamin section,and yes its sold as a diet aid but cheaper than the health food store.It was about $4 cdn for maybe an ounce.I don't think it tastes as bad as the powder form.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the info colsislander.

Troy

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well, where I'd use about seven packets of sugar in a cup of coffee, I use only 4 packets of Stevia. And I like how it tastes.

I've also made Kool-Aid with it.

Only place I can find it here is in Medina County...I need to look in my county. A box of 50 packets costs around $7-8 there. Like I said before, I get the kind with fiber added.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Well, where I'd use about seven packets of sugar in a cup of coffee, I use only 4 packets of Stevia. And I like how it tastes.

I've also made Kool-Aid with it.

Only place I can find it here is in Medina County...I need to look in my county. A box of 50 packets costs around $7-8 there. Like I said before, I get the kind with fiber added.

I'm seeing some irony there... Kool-Aid isn't exactly a natural product

(no, I'm not being antagonistic - just noting the use of a more natural sweetener to make up a product that's decidedly less than natural...)

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
When a company like Mc Neal Industries faces it's downfall due to true facts or just some kind of smear campaign, of course they're going to deny it. It's just what companies do in their position, they put out this garbage saying that their product is safe and you should buy it, this is mainly because they want the money. Plain and simple.

You know, some one should really do some tests on this stuff. That way we can see which side is lying and which is telling the truth here. Heck who knows some one could be doing tests right now on us
! Because, I mean, it's being put in everything and most of the people out there are using unaware of the risks that it is said to cause or what it's said to be made out of.

On the subject of 'life saving drugs', there are plants out there that do the exact same thing if you look for them most of them. Most of those plants though are banned in the US and/or abroad or are actually illegal drugs themselves (If you don't know I'm mainly speeking about Marijuana and Tobacco when I say that). And besides, some of those same so called 'life saving' drugs have negative side effects that can actually kill a person who's taking them. But yet, just like splenda, they're 'safe' (Yeah right
)

I just want to make this clear; I'm actually one of the ones who HAS a problem with Splenda, Aspartane (sp?), and Nutrasweet. Whenever I drink/eat something with the stuff in it, I start to get chest pains and sometimes I start sweating and get headaches along with the chest pains, it accualy feels like I'm dieing. So, not all people out there who say they are actually having a problem with the stuff are lying or are 'fake' cases....so I tend not to believe the words coming from major conglomerates.

I’m not trying to change anyone's views on what they want to do with their bodies. I mean it's their choice what they want to eat/drink/do. I just wanted to state my opinion, and one coming from someone who actually has a problem with the stuff to boot.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
AFAIK marijuana cannot actually cure anything. In certainly can help with symptoms, but not cure.

Pharma companies generally have a long, expensive wait before a drug is approved; the cost runs into millions. They have to make up that money somehow, and the circle begins.

Cost to develop ---> approval -----> drug is priced to help recoup R&D costs and enable further testing for new drugs.

No money = no more new drugs.

If it makes it easier, here's a very quick summary of how drug trials work (this applies worldwide).

Phase I - This is the initial introduction to humans. This study concentrates on how the drug is absorbed, metabolized, and excreted, and the number of subjects is between 40 and 80; the patients do not have the disease for which the drug is indicated.

Phase II - Similar to phase I, but this time in patients who do suffer from the disease. As a general rule, this group rarely exceeds 1200 or so in number. In addition, most phase II studies are randomized trials. One group of patients will receive the experimental drug, while a second "control" group will receive a standard treatment or placebo and these studies are also usually "blind"-- neither the patients nor the researchers know who is getting the experimental drug.

Phase III - After efficacy has been established, the drug is then given to a larger number of patients (usually around 3000) in different clinical settings to determine its safety, effectiveness and appropriate dosage. Assuming the drug is considered safe (in addition to being effective), it's after this phase that the drug is submitted to the FDA for approval. Again, this phase is randomized and blinded as a rule.

Phase IV - After approval, the pharm. company will continue testing the study drug or treatment to collect information about their effect in various populations, any side effects associated with long-term use, and its impact on quality of life.

It's generally only during (and after) Phase IV trials that we begin to see the long term effects. Also, the FDA can make a conditional approval - that is, the drug will be approved only if company promises to run Phase IV studies afterwards .

Now...I'm the first to agree that drugs are still grossly overpriced; but the above might help understand at least part of why they cost so much.

If anyone is looking for information on how different countries do testing on herbal products, you can find the German Monologues (widely considered to be the "bible" of herbal products) online.

Back to the question though - what does marijuana actually cure?

And a question of my own

We generally obtain a second opinion if we're told we need surgery. Yet we rarely ask for a second opinion if we're prescribed a drug. Why is this?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Sucralose is not an artifical sweetner.It is real sugar processed in a manner different from the regular sugar we normally refer to as table sugar.While it may have its problems, it is an excellent product for use by diabetics.It does not raise the blood glucose levels like other sweetners can and it does not have the adverse effects that products such as aspartame and saccarhin.I would take this over a product listing phenols any day of the week.In fact I do.We have been using it for some time now and have not encountered any of your problems.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

not only diet soda. No soda of any kind will prolong your life.Try soda to clean the toilet
It cleans better than any cleaner because of chemical it contains.Just imagine what it will do to your system.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
HOOOOOOOO BOY ! ! ! !

I had a BIG laugh, a few minutes ago.

I have seen an add or publicity of Splenda WITH VITAMINS ! ! !
B-) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) TOTALY LAUGHABLE ! ! !

" **It** will be better for your metabolism" they say ! ! !

! ! ! ! HARRRRR HARRRR HARRRRR ! ! ! !

Blue skies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join