It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dangers of Splenda and other Artificial Sweeteners!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Splenda is a very popular sugar substitute, used in "diet" sodas, low calorie foods and also Atkins diet. So many people use it, so WHAT CAN BE HARMFUL ABOUT IT?

"Sucralose (Splenda) is a chlorocarbon. The chlorocarbons have long been known for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. It should be no surprise, therefore, that the testing of sucralose reveals that it can cause up to 40 percent shrinkage of the thymus: a gland that is the very foundation of our immune system. Sucralose also causes swelling of the liver and kidneys, and CALCIFICATION of the kidney. Note: if you experience kidney pain, cramping, or an irritated bladder after using sucralose in Splenda, stop use immediately.."

Sucralose can cause:
# Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40 percent shrinkage)
# Enlarged liver and kidneys
# Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
# Increased cecal weight
# Reduced growth rate
# Decreased red blood cell count
# Hyperplasia of the pelvis
# Extension of the pregnancy period
# Aborted pregnancy
# Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
# Diarrhea

www.mercola.com...

Recently, I've visited this website and it was so surprising to read HOW DANGEROUS sucralose can be! There is also a link from this website to get the list of the main products using sucralose.

There are also many testimonials about bad experiences with Splenda.

www.mercola.com...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I just think that it is amazing how many people will eat this stuff just to keep their carb count low. Personally, I would prefer to eat sugar and risk the addition of a few pounds to my gut than all the side effects you listed. Seems that everyone's top priority is not health these days, it is being skinny, even at the expense on ones health.

There was that potato chip, I have forgotten the name of it, that had no fat. However, it caused ANAL LEAKAGE.

Hahaha. If someone ate more than just a few of these, they would "leak" all day. Now, what do I prefer, eating potato chips that have a lot of fat (shouldn't eat those anyways) or runny underpants? Hmmmmmmm. ..... Hard choice.

Pretty soon they will have to put warning labels on food. How sad is that?

pao

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
haha those olestra chips? i think it was called that. I dont know why people want altered food. the pursuit of beauty is too much for them, so they'd risk their lives.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
yes.....these artificial sweetners eat HOLES in your brain that will not regenerate. Does almost the SAME dang thing....as CRACK. Yet it is sold to anybody! Pushed on us in FEAR of being overweight........!

Why is steviea not leagel in the USA? Gads we have to order it from Canada, 'land of the free' I guess........

DONT DRINK DIET SODA!
(that's all I am sayin)

[edit on 26-5-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnight_fairy
Splenda is a very popular sugar substitute, used in "diet" sodas, low calorie foods and also Atkins diet. So many people use it, so WHAT CAN BE HARMFUL ABOUT IT?

"Sucralose (Splenda) is a chlorocarbon. The chlorocarbons have long been known for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. It should be no surprise, therefore, that the testing of sucralose reveals that it can cause up to 40 percent shrinkage of the thymus: a gland that is the very foundation of our immune system. Sucralose also causes swelling of the liver and kidneys, and CALCIFICATION of the kidney. Note: if you experience kidney pain, cramping, or an irritated bladder after using sucralose in Splenda, stop use immediately.."

Sucralose can cause:
# Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40 percent shrinkage)
# Enlarged liver and kidneys
# Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
# Increased cecal weight
# Reduced growth rate
# Decreased red blood cell count
# Hyperplasia of the pelvis
# Extension of the pregnancy period
# Aborted pregnancy
# Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
# Diarrhea

www.mercola.com...

Recently, I've visited this website and it was so surprising to read HOW DANGEROUS sucralose can be! There is also a link from this website to get the list of the main products using sucralose.

There are also many testimonials about bad experiences with Splenda.

www.mercola.com...

Regular sugar does affect a person's brain (memory)...in some form or another.

However, imagine the impact that artificial sugar would have on person's brain...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Eight essential sugar compounds function individually as building blocks to assemble a nearly infinite variety of complex molecules known as glycans or sugar chains.

Regular sugar has in fact good effects on the brain and is also very important for normal functioning of the human body.

Sugar chains play a vital role in nearly every physiological process, including immune system response, tissue regeneration and cell replication. One of the most important functions of glycans is the facilitation of brain functions. For instance, serotonin and other neurotransmitters require glycan receptors in order to bind to the surface of nerve cells. Memory, stress response and other critical brain functions may become debilitated without the adequate assistance of glyconutrient sugar chains.

www.hsiealert.com...

but then again, too much from good has bad side effects too.
sucralose is unnatural and also bad for health, since it is a chlorocarbon (the 3 hydroxy groups on sugar have been replaced by chlorine) -> which doesn't even sound healthy.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

Why is steviea not leagel in the USA? Gads we have to order it from Canada, 'land of the free' I guess........

DONT DRINK DIET SODA!
(that's all I am sayin)

[edit on 26-5-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

I had use stevia before I used to get it from the health food store, at least in California, I am going tomorrow and see if they sell it here in GA.

The only thing about it was the after taste. Al least for me.

[edit on 26-5-2005 by marg6043]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I get stevia in the Health Food Store - btw if you get Stevia Plus it doesn't have the aftertaste -- comes in little packets I think. Haven't had it myself (the Plus) but that is what I have heard.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It is kind of odd, that stevia hasn't been FDA approved, since no side effects have been reported and many other countries have been using this natural sweetener for years.

well, i guess the u.s. is affraid of competition (having all those other artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose). there is something fishy about all this.

you can still buy stevia in health food stores as a dietary supplement. the funny thing is, it is alright to sell it, unless it is labeled as a sweetener. LOL

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well thanks I think I am going to try it again is been about ten years since I use it.

That was when my husband and I were station in 29 palms.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I am wondering who is the manufacturer of this artificial product or who is making the profit? I'm wondering if it's the same company that produces MSG for use in so much of the food supply. I have been avoiding artificial sweetners and artificial additives especially MSG since I discovered it was making me sick.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If the same company is producing all of these substances, we might have another conspiracy on our hands.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Wow, what a suprise. Chemicals might be dangerous, who'da thunk it.

This just in: Scientists reccomend that you do not breathe, drink, or eat as air, water and food have been found to contain substances that can cause illness and death.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I have heard of artificial sweetners causing tumors. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
There are millions of Americans (like my wife and me) who have been using artificial sweeteners for at least ten years with no side effects whatsoever.

If artificial sweeteners were as bad as some of the people like Mr. Mercola would have you believe, where are the millions of dead Americans with "holes in their brain", etc?

If you choose not to eat something, that certainly is your right; but I will treat my body the way I choose, thank you very much. Furthermore, I will rely on my particular choice of healers (i.e., physicians with 8 years of college and medical school plus years of practice or nurses with four years of college and years of practice) for most of my medical advice.

Meanwhile, if you come along with some statistics about the millions of Americans who don't eat the way you do and died because of it, I'd appreciate if you shared that data with the rest of us.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I did not say that it was true just something i had heard.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnight_fairy
"Sucralose (Splenda) is a chlorocarbon. The chlorocarbons have long been known for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage

Splenda isn't just a 'chlorocarbon'. Its silly, and borderline fraudlent, for someone (who should know better, liek a 'dr') to claim that because many chlorocarbons are dangerous that therefore they all are dangerous.

Well, research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems

Research in animals can also show that water can kill you. 'Research in animals' is pseudo-scientific talk to make things sound bad. That pages also notes 'anecdotes' about 'bad reactions to sucralose' as 'evidence', which is absurd. Show us testing, in independant labs, that has been critically analysed, that demonstrates sucralose being dangerous.

ahaha. If someone ate more than just a few of these, they would "leak" all day

Absolutely untrue. Olestra was a type of fat that is molecularly 'too big' to be absorbed and digested. This meant that it passes thru the system, rather than being taken into the body. This did not mean that you'd poo globs of fat and grease. It meant that there was a potential for loose stools and such. I've never known anyone that had problems with olestra.

I had use stevia before I used to get it from the health food store, at least in California

Stevia is sucralose [edit: isn't it??]. Sucralose, unlike other artificial sweeteners, is regular sugar, thats had chlorine (no, not gobs of it, and whats it matter? Oxygen and Hydrogen are deadly and explosive. Yet thats all that water is made out of, the makeup, in and of itself, isn't the problem) added to it, so that its not metabolized like sugar. Rather than take industrial chemicals and create fake sugar, they've twisted up regular sugar so it still tastes like sugar, but isn't metabolized into calories.

xphilesphan
I have heard of artificial sweetners causing tumors.

Cooked meat causes cancer. Vitamins can poison you. Avoid neither.

I am aware of not a single study that demonstrates that normal usage of artificial sweeteners in humans 'causes cancer'.

I don't think off the street was specifically talking at you btw.

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Nygdan]

[edit on 27-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
If artificial sweeteners were as bad as some of the people like Mr. Mercola would have you believe, where are the millions of dead Americans with "holes in their brain", etc?

My thoughts exactly. Every day it seems some food deemed to be "healthy" or beneficial is found to be harmful and something thought to be harmful is found to actually be ok for you. I use splenda because I'm hypoglycemic and sugar sends me on a rollercoaster. I've tried the "natural" replacements and IMO they all taste like crap.

People who spend their entire lives worrying nonstop about things like this still die anyway. Hell maybe the lifetime of chronic worrying about being poisoned even knocks a few months off their lives too. If people start dropping dead from this stuff at an alarming rate from putting a packet in their tea every morning then I'll get concerned.

Weren't there some of these "lab tests" done on rats with apspartame that had people freaking out and it turned out the rats were being fed massive doses of the stuff. As was said feed rats enough water and they will have big problems too.

Reminds me of "studies" I've seen where some "expert" exposes the so called hazzards of a product and then reccomends another "safer" alternative. Purely for the good of humanity of cour$e.

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Veltro]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I ordered some stevia seeds this spring and they are sprouting now, can't wait!
There is one hell of a thread on here on Aspartame.
A couple more related...

This is totally my opinion but I'd say, having researched this a little, that causing Microscopic holes in the brains of mammals is a pretty serious side effect.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
thanks for the threads twitchy, good find!!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Oh great, after i invested $7.00 on a bag of Splenda

Thanks for the info..I'll use regular sugar and feed the splenda to my company..LOL

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join