It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic expansion and dark matter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Chime in kids - no conspiracy, sorry, just a brain teaser....

We now have the announcement last week of the test to look into the expansion thing (they think they can distinguish between dark matter and Einstein flaw):

Scientists propose new way to probe dark energy

... but I have another thought.

If the energy release at big bang really has us moving outward in all directions (at near light speed - whoohooo....) like the old "surface of the balloon" analogy used in textbooks, aren't we just seeing the effect of the gravitational masses becoming further apart and hence less "glue" to keep them from speeding up?? The same expansion energy is there, just less pull and no missing dark matter to worry about or is this just the flaw thing they talk about in the gravitational constant..??

apc

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Ah yes personally Ive never bought the whole "Dark Matter" bit... it may fit the facts but so does a man sized walking sea monkey that steals everyone left socks... It doesn't make any sense.
I believe that the inconsistancies and anomalies explained using Dark Matter are actually the impact of a much more significant underlying factor, which by the sounds of it, appears to be the direction the community is headed.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Uhh don't you guys mean "Dark Energy"? I thought all Dark Matter, is just regular matter that doesn't react to any light frequencies we can detect as of yet, or so goes some theories I have read in the past.

apc

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Yeah but according to the article Dark Energy is being defined to explain this accelerating expansion that Dark Matter doesnt seem to... so if there's no Dark Matter then Dark Energy is just "huh?" Another unobserved physical dimension, as the article talks about briefly, is a better explanation in my opinion.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Personally I think Dark Energy is just something these Theorists invented to make current theories make sense with current observations. Checking out the article now.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You all mean dark energy...dark matter could be a number of things, maybe neutrinos (now that we know they aren't massless). Anyhow...

Scientists come up with things all the time to coincide with observation and experiments, such as virtual particles. I would rather them have something than nothing, personally. I think String Theory is ridiculous, but I'm glad people are working on it, because in the long run it'll help.

top topics

join