It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution Vs Intelligent Design

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
In my AP US History class (college level us history taught in high school), I will be debating with a girl about evolution vs intelligent design. Because I don't yet know which side I will be debating, can you post information that would help either side of the debate along with links if you can get them?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
15 Answers to Creationist "Arguments"

www.evolutionhappens.net...

Here you go, sort of one sided but I'm sure the Creationists will come foward with thier own links.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Probably the most complete stating of ID theory i have found:www.ideacenter.org....
Answers all the stuff your likely to get from an evolutionist(ie is it a real theory, testable).

Another good place for ID info: reasons.org

Also: God and science.org

hope this helps

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Here is an excellent site for the intelligent design point of view. Hope this helps but be forewwarned: the evidence provided here is verrry compelling!

www.scientificcreationism.org...

Enjoy

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Simple, if you get the ID side, just say god did it. When they ask questions or whatever, just tell them god did it, now go to hell. If they keep wanting proof, facts, reality, just keep saying god did it.

If you get evolution, tell the truth. They have proof, there is no debate amongst science on it, it is real. If they say "It's only a theory" tell them gravity is only a theory and ask if they are willing to jump off the Empire State Building because gravity is only a theory.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Gravity is not just a theory, it's the law!. Really, come on now, lets get serious for a minute: Evolution has not been proved to be true; how many times do you know of where evolution has been empirically shown to be true? You can't prove it ; only hypothasize it. There has been no evidence in modern archeology showing a link from lower forms of life to higher.

However, archeology has shown that a vast amount of biblical evidence for the creation of the earth is valid.

www.evidenceofgod.com...

www.christiananswers.net...

Above are a two of the numerous websites available that take on the
debate between evolutiuon and creationism (or intelligent design).

They are worth looking at; keep an open mind. I used to be a firm believer in Darwin and evolution but not anymore.

Be well,

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Also, please excuse the "tongue" smiley. It was not intentional-sorry.

Lightseeker

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Or you could go on the 3rd side; Evolution is intelligent design
Which is my opinion anyway.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
If you get evolution, tell the truth. They have proof, there is no debate amongst science on it, it is real. If they say "It's only a theory" tell them gravity is only a theory and ask if they are willing to jump off the Empire State Building because gravity is only a theory.

Do you ever open real books and read them?

"there is no debate amongst science on it, it is real."

First, science itself has hundreds of theories on how the world came to be as it stands today. Darwin’s THEORY of evolution is just one of many scientific evolution/creation theories.

Scientists do not agree on evolution. When most people here the word evolution they instantly think Darwin and are seemingly unaware that there are hundreds of other real scientific theories behind evolution and creation. Many scientists can’t even agree on how long evolution takes.

Of course, I really should not have to point this out because common sense and some basic education should cover it, BUT Darwin’s THEORY is a scientific THEORY and not a fact – otherwise it would be called Darwin’s LAW of evolution.

“tell them gravity is only a theory and ask if they are willing to jump off the Empire State Building because gravity is only a theory.”

I guess that is probably why we do not call it the THEORY of Gravity – we call it the LAW of Gravity.

Anyway, to the original posters…do a search…there are probably a thousand of these threads already started in ATS.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
Or you could go on the 3rd side; Evolution is intelligent design
Which is my opinion anyway.

So, God with his vast intelligence used billions of years of death and suffering to create all life on Earth? That doesn't exactly fit well with the scripture does it?

I was under the impression that sin and death entered into the world when man disobeyed God. After much study it seems to me that the whole message of the bible depends on this fact. I am constantly rereading the books so I will try to keep my mind open to the possibility you suggest.

Steve

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
In my AP US History class (college level us history taught in high school), I will be debating with a girl about evolution vs intelligent design.

Why, in the world, is something like that being discussed in school, let alone a history class? Evolution is science. Intelligent Design is theology. Neither should be in an AP US history class.

Did you take the AP Test yet? Shouldn't you guys be prepping for that??

edit: BTW,

you're supposed to be an AP student, and yet you need ATS to do your homework for you??

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Our Origins lie in the past. History is study of the past. It makes sense to me.

Steve

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
you're supposed to be an AP student, and yet you need ATS to do your homework for you??

Hey, I didn't think of that. When I was in Highschool we didn't even have the internet. I feel so used!

AP Humanities was the coolest class. Too bad I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have at the time.

Steve

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Evolution is intelligent design

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

You can't prove it ; only hypothasize it.

en.wikipedia.org...

A hypothesis (= assumption in ancient Greek) is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon.

en.wikipedia.org...

In the sciences, a theory is a model or framework describing the behaviour of a certain natural or social phenomenon. Theories are formulated, developed and evaluated according to the scientific method.
There are two uses of the word theory; a supposition which is not backed by observation is known as a conjecture, and if backed by observation it is a hypothesis. Most theory evolves from hypotheses, but the reverse is not true: many hypotheses turn out to be false and so do not evolve into theory.

A theory is different from a theorem. The former is a model of physical events and cannot be proved from basic axioms. The latter is a statement of mathematical fact which logically follows from a set of axioms. A theory is also different from a physical law in that the former is a model of reality whereas the latter is a statement of what has been observed.

Theories can become accepted if they are able to make correct predictions and avoid incorrect ones. Theories which are simpler, and more mathematically elegant, tend to be accepted over theories which are complex. Theories are more likely to be accepted if they connect a wide range of phenomena. The process of accepting theories, or of extending existing theory, is part of the scientific method.

Please do not mix the two definitions up, A theory is not just a fancy word for guess you know.

Evolution is intelligent design

Even though you are saying that based on faith at least you aren't twisting and perverting science to fit your world view.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
You know if am facisanted by the new aproach to bringing religion in the classrooms in the name of fair debate.

I like it and I think it will open the eyes of many as what they should be able to learn and believe.

Some of you have given very good advise, I hope everything comes out ok, and do not end on a preaching feud.

Keep us post on the results of it.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Hey, guy who said gravity is a law, you are wrong, it is only a theory. Sure it is the truth/reality, but only a theory. So again, if they say "It's just a theory" tell them the truth, gravity is only a theory, and ask if they will jump off the ESB cause gravity is only a theory.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sntx
So, God with his vast intelligence used billions of years of death and suffering to create all life on Earth? That doesn't exactly fit well with the scripture does it?

I was under the impression that sin and death entered into the world when man disobeyed God. After much study it seems to me that the whole message of the bible depends on this fact. I am constantly rereading the books so I will try to keep my mind open to the possibility you suggest.

Steve

To be honest I think Genesis is just metaphoric story. Im sure there was a first man that evolved, Adam if you will, and Im sure he commited the first sin which was defying God, and here we are today. If evolution is how God really made us then Im cool with it. I dont mind.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Hey, guy who said gravity is a law, you are wrong, it is only a theory. Sure it is the truth/reality, but only a theory. So again, if they say "It's just a theory" tell them the truth, gravity is only a theory, and ask if they will jump off the ESB cause gravity is only a theory.

Tangential forces pulling me away from topic.
Gravity is not a theory, I think I know what your trying to say, but the wording is misleading. Gravity is a law, the forces of nature are laws. You cannot escape gravity, it is impossible. Many many laws are stemmed from the basic newton law of gravity. Say for instance, you believe gravity is a theory, then centers of mass have to be theory, that does not make sense. Also if gravity was a theory, your weight would only be theory also, also does not make sense. Kepler's Laws, based from gravity. Laws of magnetism based from gravity, many many.

Maybe if you look at things from like matrix viewpoint, then everything is theory, but gravity is law.

Very in-depth, but not laymen's, is that how you spell?

www.grantchronicles.com...

<<   2 >>

join