It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Bacteria Eating Away at Otzi the Iceman?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ötzi the Iceman, the 5.3 thousand year old mummy that was found in 1991 is now showing signs of ecomposition according to the latest tests done on the body. The proof that the caretaker, Eduard Egarter Vigl, is basing this on is due to x-rays done on the knees of the corpse.
There are "gray" areas that have changed aspect over time. This may be an indication of bacteria or gas bubbles in the knee

dsc.discovery.com
Concerned that bacteria could damage the mummy, Egarter Vigl suggested a needle biopsy in order to analyze the "bubbles". He also advised tissue samples be taken.

He warned that the mummy is dehydrating, dangerously losing weight by water evaporation despite an igloo-like refrigerated cell which recreates the conditions in the Similaun Glacier where the mummy was found.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This would be a great loss for science. According to the article, the body is also drying out inspite of attempts to re-hydrate it.
One thing I wish they had left out is at the end of the article, they make reference to a curse of the iceman. I would have expected the Discovery Channel would be better than this

Edited to correct the age of the mummy. Thanx for the catch!

[edit on 23-5-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The mummy is 5300 years old, not 5.3 million years old.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Just to let everyone know, This article was submitted under the science news, but for some reason it is showing up under terroranalysis forum. I have asked that the mods look into resolving the problem

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I am surprised at the lack of response to this posting.
I would have thought that it would have sparked at least a little bit of interest ince many here promote the prior civilization theroms, others the evolution theory, etc.
I still think that the loss of the iceman will prove to be a blow to science and may go to show that we may want to leave things as they are. The iceman's body survived 5,300 years. Now through our intervention and inspite of our efforts, the body is decomposing and we may lose it for good.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The article is showing up that you submitted it under sci/tech -- it shows in your headline but everything comes up in ATSNN under the Terroranalysis.com I think.

I agree that it is a shame this is happening -- I hope they can figure out a way to stop it but they have learned a lot so far. But one way to look at it is -- if they had left it where it was it would have decayed completely already without learning anything as it was exposed.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This mummy just needs some Gatorade! That always helps me when I'm dehydrated. This would be bad news for science of the body gets in any worse shape. That being said, I don't know how much more they can learn from the Ice Man than they already have. Of course, technology is growing and changing everyday. I just don't know what other unanswered questions they have that they think could ever be solved through technological advancements. Maybe it's time to give the Ice Man a proper burial anyway. He is, after all, a human being who never volunteered his body to research.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
well, it's nice to know, that stuff decays even when properly stored and frozen. I can justify the occasional miasma emanating from my freezer!

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
probably a bacteria created by the government to keep people from researching and finding out where man truly came from

new topics

top topics

join