It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Have any of you heard of the new planet that NASA spotted using the all new high power telescope? It is in another galaxy, but it has the same exact make up of Earth, it has oceans, blue skies, clouds, and land masses. I am excited to see what will come of this.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Do you have a link about this. Where did you hear this, as I would like to know more. Thanks

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Do you have any links about it? Keep us informed.

-Annanuki Goddess-

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kamikazi
Have any of you heard of the new planet that NASA spotted using the all new high power telescope? It is in another galaxy, but it has the same exact make up of Earth, it has oceans, blue skies, clouds, and land masses. I am excited to see what will come of this.

ehm..i doubt that any high resolution telescope is able to actually "see" a planet, that orbits somewhere in another galaxy. most extrasolar planets are detected by looking at side effects, like the gravity of a planet causes the star it orbits to "wobble" ( it does rotate around the center of masses in the stellar system, like our sun does. this is only possible if planets or other huge masses cause the CoM to be a bit of the center of the sun ) even if they were able to spot this planet in visible light spectrum, you wouldn't see oceans, clouds, etc. at this distance. furthermore nasa would bring it on their webpage as soon as this "fantastic" discovery has been confirmed.

in fact a new extrasolar planet has been discovered, it's mentioned at the space.com page :

May 23

Astronomers Detect New Extrasolar Planet

An international team of professional and amateur astronomers has detected a massive planet circling a star some 15,000 light-years away from Earth.

Using a method called gravitational microlensing, astronomers not only found the planet, but determined its size – about three times the mass of Jupiter. Microlensing observes the brightening of distant stars by the gravitational effects from massive objects passing in front of them from Earth’s vantage point.

link : www.space.com...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yeah, I heard of this. They never used a telescope to look at it, just looked at the side effects of gravity on distant stars, calculated their wobbles.. etc.

Till they find a similar planet to earth in it's orbit, I think they found a few but most were to big or to close I think. Still I think I heard that one of them were really similar to earth, meaning it "probaly has oceans and the same atmosphere" I don't think they know yet.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
From what I have read in numerous places we currently lack the capabilities to see what you've described.

While it will soon be possible to locate earth sized planets (there were articles about this recently) finding their atmospheric makeup, and land vs. ocean makeups would be impossible. Our current telescope capabilities do not allows us to view earth-sized planets in mapquest.com detail. You probably heard a theory of such a thing, and I assume that with the trillions of stars we will find some that fit that description, but there wouldn't be a way to confirm yet.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Nasa has made no such discovery.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Here is a link that I think you are looking for
Hunt for extrasolar planets turns to Earth-size worlds

None have been found yet, but astronomers believe that they will do so within the next 10 years or so.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
sorry about this guys, my wife told me about this last night, so I guessed I jumped the gun. But after researching it, she misintupreted an article she read on MSNBC.com in the scicence news. Oh, and Nasa is in the works of creating a telescope that can see that far, I will try to find it again.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Oh, and Nasa is in the works of creating a telescope that can see that far, I will try to find it again.

Totally understand the misunderstanding part....but I still have not found any information on NASA.GOV or JPL.GOV referring to this new telescope that they are working on to 'optically capture' an image of an extrasolar planet. As awesome as the Hubble Telescope was at capturing images of large intergallatic structures such as Galaxies, Nebula, etc, it could still only manage to produce a 'white ball' image of Pluto which is relatively in our backyard.

Do you have a link to this new Telescope Project?

W.E.S.B.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Here is the links to the new Telescope:

Spitzer Space Telescope News Artical

Spitzer home page

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

(...)
It is in another galaxy
(...)

Well, if it is indeed in another galaxy, then we likely can't see it, I'm 99.99% sure of it.

The 0.01% remaining is the part of me that can still accept that some super-duper-telescope, state of the art, exists, that we don't know of it now, and that it is used by NASA to check individual stars in other galaxies... Must be a hell of a telescope!

At the most, we are able to detect the presence of a planet and estimate its size and composition (giant gaseous planets for the most) because of the effect the planet has on the light that we receive from the parent star. Given what we can see inside the other galaxies, I highly doubt that this is true.

But hey, anyone can be wrong, and if it is me, then well, ok!

top topics

join