It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Hybrids save America from foreign oil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
www.csmonitor.com...

i dont believe it would relieve America from foreign since many people who bought their cars and are keeping them for another 5 to 10 years so thats one problem. the whole entire population aint switchin hybrid in the next day aniways. another is that even with hybrids we still be importing oil. also hybrid is still expensive tech so many people cant afford it.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
www.csmonitor.com...

i dont believe it would relieve America from foreign since many people who bought their cars and are keeping them for another 5 to 10 years so thats one problem. the whole entire population aint switchin hybrid in the next day aniways. another is that even with hybrids we still be importing oil. also hybrid is still expensive tech so many people cant afford it.

I disagree. As has been reported, there are huge waiting lists to acquire hybrid vehicles. The resale price is often higher than the MSRP!!! Not enough are apparently produced. Also, Toyota is for some reason destroying the electric vehicles when the owners return them after the lease is up. They would like to keep those, but Toyota won't let them.

I'm not saying there is a wide conspiracy, but given the huge demand, it's hard to explain why the production hasn't been adjusted, to allow for more novel vehicles to be built.

Fice years isn't that great period of time. If we consume 50% less oil in 5 years, that would be a huge progress. Heck, even 10% would make a huge difference. It also could give a boost to the economy.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
"It also could give a boost to the economy."

Could? It WILL give a boost to the economy as people paying less for gas = more money in thier pockets for other things.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Just found this story at this Link that puts things into perspective a bit. GM's debt rating is now "Junk" status due to eroding sales of its SUV lineup. Can anyone say I told you so GM?

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fitch Ratings on Tuesday cut General Motors Corp.'s (NYSE:GM - news) debt ratings to "junk," becoming the second agency to rate the world's largest automaker below investment grade as high gasoline prices erode its SUV sales.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Absolutely. Hybrids are a great way to go, the only problem is that the average American wants a 'real' car with 'get up and go'. To get Americans to switch from gas to hybrid will take some work, such as providing good tax incentives, access to HOV lanes (such as what is going on in Virginia) and other 'rewards' so to speak.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Actually DC the new accord hybrid has 15 more HP and 20 more lbs of torque than the top gas model.It is faster 0-60 and about the same 1/4 mile with an extra 9mpg city and 7mpg highway.

Alot of the other companys are following suit with there current or future models with equal power and extra gas mileage,alot of extra gas mileage for the new SUV hybrids.

The Ford escape hybrid is in the 35-40 mpg range with the same power as the V-6 model.Not bad for an SUV!l

[edit on 26-5-2005 by TahoeSkiBum]

pao

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm definately going to try to get a hybrid. Gas prices being up, i cant afford gas to and from work, plus other trips. Since im not getting a cost of living raise or anything, hybrid is definately for me.

new topics

top topics

join