It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discoverers of things lost?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It always makes me feel a little sad when i think about 'discoverys' in modern times.

Ive always thought i should have been born 200 odd years ago....so that i could have travelled the jungles of south america or the deserts of Egypt and North Africa...searching for lost cities and acient artifacts to suprise and amaze the civilised parts of the western world.

You dont seem to have adventurers as in the sterotyped 'indianna Jones' anymore....these days its scientists with goverment grants and backing looking to piece a missing link to an already old and well exploited mystery......obviously their work is of value....but it doesnt capture that spirit of adventure that you got the first time you went camping in the nearby hills as a boy.

As some of you know im very lucky having the job that i have asides from my own buisnesses in the computer industry.....but i kind of earned that...maybe not in schooling and qualifications...but instead with my lust for adventure.

Basically in this post i would like to pay homage to the adventurers, scientists,explorers and Hell men and women Everywhere that ultimatley have given us many of our most exciting discoverys all over the globe.

Whos your favourite Adventurer and why? what did they discover?

I have 2 major ones....present day=Richard Branson.

and from the past Captain Cook......lol..he discovered the cook islands (and some other stuff).

Regards.

bring it on ....temples ,chicks and cute but rather annoying oriental side kicks!

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
i thought i would have had a bit more of a pssionate response than this?

but never mind...this guy seems like a bit of inspiration!

premierespeakers.com...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Whos your favourite Adventurer and why? what did they discover?

I think it´s Optimus Fett. He discovered ATS once upon a time.

There are some others like the "Wildboys" or "Wildboyz"? (MTV)

No, I respect Marc O Polo and Magellan, they done a great contribution to the humanity

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

You dont seem to have adventurers as in the sterotyped 'indianna Jones' anymore

Paul Sereno, imo, fits the bill on that. He's a paleontologist who had saved up and spent a large sum of his own money ot have an expedition into the sahara. They were in North Africa making preparations to go when a war of some sort broke out, rather than leave, they had to hole up in the city and brave the war, and then go out into the desert.

There are new big discoveries made in modern times. I recall and entire city was found in the brazillian jungles in the past decade or so. And entire civilization, with roads and a network of cities, was discovered in central asia in the past several years. The December Tsunami uncovered part of a temple complex, which certainly was part of an entire city.

Anyone who says that there is nothing new under the sun is wrong. True, research scientists have to fill out grant applications. But this lets them get teh job done. Indianna Jones had to do the same thing, and for every hour he was in the field recovering lost relics and punching out nazis, he'd've spent days in the library and office. The movies themselves make that clear.

Even today there are archaeologists and paleontologists and geologists who go deep into what are now tribal wastelands, risking their lives, clashing with bandits and struggling against sandstorms and wild animals, to do their scientific work.

Tho I notice you list branson as the type you are interested in. True, he's an adventurer, but he's not a scientist. Indianna Jones, tho fictional, was a man of science, not an adventurer, he didn't go out looking for trouble, he unfortunately would get caught up in it. Guys like Branson would be the bad guys in a Jones movie, recklessly risking their life and others, usually making a profit, and taking artifacts to put them on display in their homes.
Not sayin branson does that, but to talk about Indianna Jones and then Branson of Virgin Inc is sorta strange.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

I recall and entire city was found in the brazillian jungles in the past decade or so. And entire civilization, with roads and a network of cities, was discovered in central asia in the past several years. The December Tsunami uncovered part of a temple complex, which certainly was part of an entire city.

Yes! I totally forgot this...Do you have any external sources and/or more info´s on this?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I didn't see the reports in detail, but I am pretty sure that this is it
www.upennmuseum.com...

On the city, I wish I could recall detail about it, I think that this site is refering to it, but I can't find much more info on it, since I don't recall the name
www.rickrichards.com...

In 1984, the lost city of Ingrejil was discovered in the northern Ingrejil mountains of Bahia state

Maybe someone reading this is familiar with this? That site above seems a bit whacky and, of course, doesn't give any sort of citation or good information.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Gosh, there are so many. Here's the first guy I thought of.

Heinrich Schliemann (sp?) - An uber rich guy who was into archaeology as a hobby. He discovered the city of Troy after studying ancient literature such as the Iliad & Odyssey, and comparing the geographical descriptions to reality. Everyone thought he was full of crap, but he proved them all wrong.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

TextHeinrich Schliemann (sp?) - An uber rich guy who was into archaeology as a hobby. He discovered the city of Troy after studying ancient literature such as the Iliad & Odyssey, and comparing the geographical descriptions to reality. Everyone thought he was full of crap, but he proved them all wrong.

wow...really?......now thats what im talking about.......bring it on!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

www.upennmuseum.com...

On the city, I wish I could recall detail about it, I think that this site is refering to it, but I can't find much more info on it, since I don't recall the name
www.rickrichards.com...

In 1984, the lost city of Ingrejil was discovered in the northern Ingrejil mountains of Bahia state

Maybe someone reading this is familiar with this? That site above seems a bit whacky and, of course, doesn't give any sort of citation or good information.

Yes, thats what I wanted to know, thanks for the quick response and the information!

regards

dacruz

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Ingrejil Pics
img360.imageshack.us...

www.upennmuseum.com...

www.rickrichards.com...

top topics

join