It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Operating System (OS)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I've heard alot of rumors about this and I hear that google are secretly trying to build a super computer and an online operating system, so you don't need windows anymore because your computer can act as a terminal and access googles super computer grid like system.

Read more about it:-

www.gooos.org...

For english writing scroll near to the bottom of page or get a translator for the rest.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wow, I'm really glad you found that! Interesting but also kind of scary. Imagine the power you could have in processing if you could use part of that power for home computing. Obviously for games and such the time delay with the connection would be detrimental but for pure computing power the ideas are awesome. Google are indeed the company to watch it would seem.

Almost makes me think "Skynet" though! Lol.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slashpepper
Google are indeed the company to watch it would seem.

I think that too but not for the good reasons, I dont trust them one bit and wouldnt be surprised if they share all their info with the government, this OS would be a perfect backdoor into everyone computer.

I know they are built into all windows systems but at least you can take steps to protect you, this is like giving up all your privacy and documents to the governement. 1984, here we come!

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Give me a break. Stop the paranoia, please show me a respectible documented account of Google doing something against the best wishes of the public. Thats why their where they are. I know this is AboveTopSecret, but not everything is a conspiracy. Know your limits.

apc

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Sound like USNet to anyone else?
You get a $150 dumb terminal. Everything is online. Choice is not an option.

>When was the last time a perfectly innocent startup (like Google) was bought by a not-so innocent corporation? They are a publicly traded company I wouldn't doubt the possibility of this happening.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by apc]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
More info:-

www.osnews.com...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

When was the last time a perfectly innocent startup (like Google) was bought by a not-so innocent corporation? They are a publicly traded company I wouldn't doubt the possibility of this happening.

That will not happen for a long time, I can assure you. The way Google set up there IPO is that they have two share classes. Class A which gets 1 Share = 1 Vote and Class B shares which gets 1 share = 10 votes. Most if not all Class B shares are held by the Top 3 people in Google and have no intention of selling anytime soon. They are richer beyond their wildest dreams already.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by sardion2000]

apc

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

They are richer beyond their wildest dreams already.

hehehe well yes but so was WhatsHisName that started PayPal. Got rich, sold it to eBay, got even richer, started a private space agency (created Spaceship One). I agree Im sure this would not happen any time soon, but everybody does have a price.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

They are richer beyond their wildest dreams already.

hehehe well yes but so was WhatsHisName that started PayPal. Got rich, sold it to eBay, got even richer, started a private space agency (created Spaceship One). I agree Im sure this would not happen any time soon, but everybody does have a price.

Uh paypal? Are you certain it was that company? I thought Paul Allen the Co-Founder of Microsoft funded SS1?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I've been hearing this for years, yet nothing has happened. I don't know how I feel about it really, I guess I'm kind of neutral. It seems like a reasonable idea, but I'd have to use it before making judgment (security too).

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It seems like a great compy, yet I'm a suspicious person.But I'd try it out, the possibilities are enticing...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus
I've been hearing this for years, yet nothing has happened. I don't know how I feel about it really, I guess I'm kind of neutral. It seems like a reasonable idea, but I'd have to use it before making judgment (security too).

Google doesn't really announce things until they are ready to be deployed, they have mutiple features like Google Groups and Google News that are still in beta testing for years.

So until there is an official announcement it's just a rumor.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well, I didn't mean specifically Google. I heard other companies were interested in this type of topic, as well as doing away with hard drives completely within a few years.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well if they are working on anything I would think it may be patented.

You could look here.

patents

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
or trademarks

trademarks

apc

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Uh paypal? Are you certain it was that company? I thought Paul Allen the Co-Founder of Microsoft funded SS1?

Erm my mistake I got the two guys crossed.. PayPal was Elon Musk, who is backing Space Exploration Technologies, and running against Paul Allen on some Defense Department bids.
Meaning doesnt change tho... Dot Com startup, made lots of money, sold for lots and lots of money, now corrupt and shady.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
i hear they are planning on doing free hosting in the near future, and thats not just for simple little mom and pop sites. it will pretty much drive every web host out of the business in the near future....

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Dot Com startup, made lots of money, sold for lots and lots of money, now corrupt and shady.

I agree with Paypal, but not Google.....yet. Don't worry just keep your eyes peeled to www.slashdot.org . As soon as Google violates their motto of "DO NO EVIL" then that crowd will be all over 'em. They still seem very positive towards Google though, with some trepidation with good reason.

i hear they are planning on doing free hosting in the near future, and thats not just for simple little mom and pop sites. it will pretty much drive every web host out of the business in the near future....

Uhh where did you hear that? Now that might prompt an Anti-Trust suit, but we all know how well that worked against M$. All I heard Google was doing was buying up dark fiber and creating this new caching service to speed the internet up 2 fold. I doubt they would be able to put all the hosting services out of business either, they havn't done so to Yahoo, AskJeeves etc. in the Search Business. Doesn't seem very likely they will do so either. Look at all the good things Google has done, they have forced old stodgey Yahoo to actually improve their service after years of stagnation. I'm not willing to call google an Evil Corp as of yet, as I don't see an inherint conflict of interest as they still have a stranglehold over their own company. 90% of the voting shares are held in 3 peoples hands(I think it was 90% might be a bit higher as 1 Class B share equals 10 votes, most of the institutional ownership is limited to Class A shares I believe)

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
im not a fan of google, but it will be interesting to see what they do with the company.

they seem to like buying companies......

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
In reference to earlier comments about "SkyNet", sure that would be kinda like it...but don't you think that could already be happening? Almost every program you use asks for internet access already. And as for 1984, the government could easily control what information you see - filters on the internet/TV/newspaper. Newspapers used to be the governments' main propaganda in World War II and recently the British government has declared a limitation on 'copycat rating-chasing programs'.
If there's a conspiracy, it's already out there. I trust Google. Plus I'd love someone to shove Microsoft over in the OS market finally.

join