It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now sunshine prevents cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
First eggs are good for you. Then they are bad for you.
Now they are good for you again. Then it was hot dogs.
They were good for you, bad for you, and now some are
saying they are good for you again.

Looks like sunshine is the latest to go from bad to good
to bad and now back to good. I knew that sunshine
helped with the vitamin D production, and thus decreased
your chances of getting Rickett. Now 'they' are saying that
the vitamin D production helps fight cancer.

So .. it looks like you should take the sunscreen OFF a few
times a week and let the sun shine on ya'.
Don't abandon
the sun screen all together ... MODERATION is the key word.

apnews.myway.com...

Excerpt

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE

(AP) Scientists are excited about a vitamin again. But unlike fads that
sizzled and fizzled, the evidence this time is strong and keeps growing.
If it bears out, it will challenge one of medicine's most fundamental beliefs:
that people need to coat themselves with sunscreen whenever they're in
the sun. Doing that may actually contribute to far more cancer deaths than
it prevents, some researchers think.

The vitamin is D, nicknamed the "sunshine vitamin" because the skin
makes it from ultraviolet rays. Sunscreen blocks its production, but
dermatologists and health agencies have long preached that such lotions
are needed to prevent skin cancer. Now some scientists are questioning
that advice. The reason is that vitamin D increasingly seems important for
preventing and even treating many types of cancer.

In the last three months alone, four separate studies found it helped
protect against lymphoma and cancers of the prostate, lung and, ironically,
the skin. The strongest evidence is for colon cancer.

Many people aren't getting enough vitamin D. It's hard to do from food and
fortified milk alone, and supplements are problematic.

More info at the article -
apnews.myway.com...

More info from the gov't-
ods.od.nih.gov...

[edit on 5/23/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Can't "they" make up their stinkin' minds?

I find it more and more difficult to believe our governments "health" findings with each passing day. How many OTHER health issues are "they" wrong about?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I found that an interesting read as I did already know about sunlight being good for at least one form of cancer. My mum has a rare form of skin cancer called fungoides mycosis, which can be helped to stay dormant by UV light treatment, but as she also had an abnormal mole removed before she was diagnosed with the FM which turned out to a different form of cancer, (and surprised the doctors by apparently starting to heal itself), she has to stay away from too much sunlight. What heals one, could bring on the other.
Luckily there is also a lotion which she uses as an alternative to UV treatment , which seems to be working to keep things under control.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I have found the best policy in life is to follow a plan of moderation. For example, if you like sweets, in my opinion, they won't harm you if consumed in moderation. It is the extremes that can cause harm. If one enjoys time out in the sun, then that's fine, just don't let you skin get burned and begin to resemble rawhide. Use your head and don't go overboard.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Because of their constant jerking from one side to the other on things such as this, I generally just ignore the stuff that researchers say on matters such as this.

As skychief said, a plan of moderation is the best guide. I agree with that very much

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I always figured the amount of skin cancer in Australia could have had more to do with sun lotion than SUN light.

I mean, sure, they are the whitest compared to like Papua New Guinea, so we can expect them to have more cancer, but it is like astronomical to compare the two.

And South Africa alternatively at the same time that Australia was having skin cancer problems, whiteys in South Africa were not faring any worse, so it was not just skin/amount of sun-related.

Being in the sun always made me feel great. Then moving to where there is seasonal 24 hour darkness just RE-INFORCES every idea I have had about sunlight energizing people.

I mean, until you have seen the difference 24 hour sunlight vs 24 hour darkness has on an entire town, and its health, you really cannot say on a large-scale the importance of the sun, and its relation to mental health. But I HAVE seen it, and it is drastic. Thats why I prefer to go back during 24 hour sunlight, thank you very much!

And yeah, use lotion in moderation, everyone generally knows when they have been in the sun too long. People just haven't got a CLUE when they haven't been in the sun ENOUGH!

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This is probably 'their' way of saying that the chloro-fluorocarbon abatement programs (freon) have accomplished their purpose. Without of course further bashing the fluorocarbon companies.

Now if they would get the mercury out of the fish...

new topics

top topics

join