It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concern over rise of 'happy slapping' craze (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The new Hit among the youth in England is so called "Happy Slapping" - recording and distributing video tapes, of violent attacks on random and innocent pepople. "Happy slapping" has apparently spread from the UK garage music scene to school playgrounds and is now taking the nation by storm.

www.guardian.co.uk
In one video clip, labelled Bitch Slap, a youth approaches a woman at a bus stop and punches her in the face. In another, Knockout Punch, a group of boys wearing uniforms are shown leading another boy across an unidentified school playground before flooring him with a single blow to the head.

Welcome to the disturbing world of the "happy slappers" - a youth craze in which groups of teenagers armed with camera phones slap or mug unsuspecting children or passersby while capturing the attacks on 3g technology.

In London, British Transport police have investigated 200 happy slapping incidents in the past six months, with eight people charged with attacks at south London stations and bus stops in January alone.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Apparently the new technology in mobile phones, also means the modernization of "bullying", since it is now or a whole new level.

I have seen this video tapes, and I must admit I find them sickening, when watching this young "bullys" using violence upon innocent and random people - sometimes Men, sometimes Women.

16-year old Becky from Blackley at Machnester, was beaten up so badly, that she had temporal paralysis.

Worse attack happened, when two 18-year olds, attacked a 41-year old man, who almost died when they tried to burn him up. They were sentanced to six and a hald years in prison.

Related News Links:
news.scotsman.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.nbc10.com

[edit on 23/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Don't jail them, give them a free ticket to Florida and a brand new video camera. We're allowed to kill them here.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
mythatsabigprobe - great solution to the Problem!

Anyway, I am a bit too late with this story, since it has been covered before on ATS.

Here are some links to previous threads:

Newest Fad - Happy Slapping!

WTF is the world coming to? horrible video.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
It’s sad to see society has dropped to this new low. I read a story in the guardian where ~19 people happy-slapped a 16 year old girl, one after the other, leaving her nearly blind in one eye. The problem with this is not just the activity itself, but the amounts of people. The offender may feel the responsibility has been diffused among them as there are so many, I don’t think so.

The fact is that the people doing this are dangerous people, willing to hurt innocent people, just because they can. There is no other reason. The law is meant to protect innocent people from dangerous people. However, because of the sheer numbers involved in some innocents, sending all these people to jail would put a huge burden on an already overcrowded prison system.

The solution? Kill them. I am not a violent person and I do not agree with killing. But I don’t think any person deserves to live if they go around hitting people, simply because they can, I don’t see there is any other way. These people are evil and do not deserve to live.

Bring back capital punishment, or society will go down the drain. This problem is only going to get worse.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Heh, I think there might be other strategies available, beyond execution of the offenders, to combat this concern...

How about a little self defense? Apparently these people are happy slapping those who cannot fight back. Maybe they would think twice before happy slapping someone if a possible outcome is testicular bruising or facey-gunshots.

Zip

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hey - I dont seriously think that killing them will solve this problem.

Would make a great example to others tho...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This kind of craze obviously began from some government sponsored perpetrators who know the "monkey see monkey do," phenomenon. Now we are going to see more new laws passed, as if what is happening was not already blatantly illegal. It is more of the same Hegalian "problem-reaction-solution," with a new label called "happy slapping," courtesy of the growing blob of facism ruining our otherwise wonderful world. Naturally the design is more dividing and conquering. I am bored with this idiocy from all sides.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I stand by my views.
Kill them.
All.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman:
This kind of craze obviously began from some government sponsored perpetrators who know the "monkey see monkey do," phenomenon. Now we are going to see more new laws passed, as if what is happening was not already blatantly illegal. It is more of the same Hegalian "problem-reaction-solution," with a new label called "happy slapping," courtesy of the growing blob of facism ruining our otherwise wonderful world. Naturally the design is more dividing and conquering. I am bored with this idiocy from all sides.

Brilliant!!!!

You have voted SkipShipman for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I don't think I've read a post that I agree with more. It's too bad that more people don't see things the way you do Skip.

I'm just wondering if this violent lunacy is ever going to take off in the states. Like a member had mentioned before about Florida, start doing this crap down here in Texas and we'll give you a one-way ticket to the morgue.

Peace

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Dr Love]

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This "craze" began in the garage music scene. People have been filming their stupid antics for decades. This is not a government development, guys, this is a result of freakin' Jackazz (EDIT it censored the word of the television show) and CKY and camera phones and hooliganism...

Zip

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
right on, skip shipman. i agree. copycatting is a well-known phenomena. there is also a rash of self-abuse that is spreading amongst the 'goth' community. cristina ritchie(sp?) and angelina jolie have turned it into a cool thing to do by professing that they did it, and they liked it. jolie almost died from having her neck cut too close to the jugular during 'sex play'. people just can't be trusted with themselves. they're animals, and need to be kept in tiny pens. it's obvious.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by billybob]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
A knee jerk reaction here. This crime, while shocking, is no more serious than aggrevated assault or murder. These crimes have existed forever. The response should be the same, find these criminals, arrest them and let the courts sentence them.

No special treatment, a criminal is a criminal.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The problem is, the one most foreigners don't see about England... is that there are more rules for defending criminals than to prosecute them. here, the law is, to put it blunty f**ked up. life sentences can be a minimum of 5 years. no offense to any american, but i'm not too fond bout certain aspects of your country, as u probably are of mine. but i soooooo admire how u deal with criminals. it makes me wanna move over there
we could learn a hell of a lesson from u in crimefighting! police here have more rules against them than for them. so if someone hit someone randomly, without direct evidence they couldn't even ask the suspects about it. absolute bull. thanks for ur time
just thought i'd get that point across

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
You refering to me? I live in Cumbria and know our current laws work just fine.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Sounds a bit like the movie "Clockwork Orange" to me! I wonder if this movie is a cult favorite with the "Happy Slappers?"

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ishes
I stand by my views.
Kill them.
All.

Were you happy slapped as a child?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion

Originally posted by Ishes
I stand by my views.
Kill them.
All.

Were you happy slapped as a child?

You need to be. lol

Personally i think its an outrage i've never heard of anything so idiotic "happy slapping" it really shows the uk youth up as being stupid beyond belief and is almost "but not quite" as tragic as "bum fights", which remains scorched into my memory through utter disgust.

No offence btw phixion what you said was quite amusing.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
"Unhappy" Here

I'm not seeing this problem in my neck of the woods. Don't have car-jackings around here, either.

We aren't crime-free by any means, but random violent crimes like these are very rare around here.

I live in a right-to-carry state, and people do just that.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Gun control. That's the problem! Outlaw guns and this is what you get.

I recently moved to WI and was astonished at how cordial people are here. Then I found out why. The gun laws are lenient, seems basically anyone can buy a gun. So, of course everyone is nice to each other. You have no clue who's 'packing'.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Thus Spaketh The Prophets

Originally posted by SourGrapes
I recently moved to WI and was astonished at how cordial people are here. Then I found out why.

"An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

The predictions of "gunfights in the streets" gun prohibitionists predicted have failed to come true.

In my town, a huge percentage of people pack a pistol.

Shockingly enough, most citizens are not a bunch of drooling idiots crazed with bloodlust.

Rather, we are all keepers of the peace, and thus does peace prevail.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join