It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian lake vanishes; villagers blame America (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:
Odd

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
A lake in Russia vanished inexplicably on Thursday night, leaving only a vast expanse of mud. Citizens of the nearby village of Bolotnikovo are perplexed, but officials claim that a sinkhole or similar mechanism is responsible for the lake's vanishing.

story.news.yahoo.com
"It is very dangerous. If a person had been in this disaster, he would have had almost no chance of survival. The trees flew downwards, under the ground," said Dmitry Zaitsev, a local Emergencies Ministry official interviewed by the channel.

Officials in Nizhegorodskaya region, on the Volga river east of Moscow, said water in the lake might have been sucked down into an underground water-course or cave system, but some villagers had more sinister explanations.

"I am thinking, well, America has finally got to us," said one old woman, as she sat on the ground outside her house.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This isn't the first time I've read about such an occurence; apparently, sinkholes can do quite a number on nearby lakes. However, the really interesting bit is the apparent demonization that America is undergoing... it is all this author can do to hope that the United States are not being blamed for natural phenomena outside of areas such as this one.

Related News Links:
geography.about.com
news.monstersandcritics.co m
www.guardian.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russian Lake Disappears.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Large lake completely disappears in Russian village overnight - PRAVDA.Ru

Officials from the regional administration said that several houses went under the ground in the village of Bolotnikovo 70 years ago.

That must have happened around 1935, before the WWII. Same village...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
i wouldnt take it as demonizing america, just a mistrust and suspicion of american intent left over from the cold war days. To the soviets it looked like america wanted to destroy the USSR and that's what the ppl were told too

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I'm sorry....
My back yard needed a lake!! It's now the home of about 100 or so geese or ducks....
well, they weren't using for much anyways...

actually, I am wondering if this doesn't have anything to do with all that geoligical disturbance that's been going on since december. maybe a fissure had to open up under it or something to accomodate that changes?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I think the authour forgets the rabid demonization and paranoia of communists during the McCarthy era of U.S politics. The remnants of that era are alive and well in the United States. Just look to the inherent mistrust Americans have for communist Cuba, China and North Korea.

I think these Russian peasants could be forgiven for showing blatant ignorance and suspicion of the United States government, dont you?

top topics

join