It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reclaiming what the Church stole (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The Chrisitan habit of attempting to eradicate all traces of ideas contrary to their own is being thwarted - at least in one instance.

apnews1.iwon.com
BALTIMORE (AP) - A particle accelerator is being used to reveal the long-lost writings of the Greek mathematician Archimedes, work hidden for centuries after a Christian monk wrote over it in the Middle Ages.

Highly focused X-rays produced at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center were used last week to begin deciphering the parts of the 174-page text that have not yet been revealed. The X-rays cause iron in the hidden ink to glow.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is great. There was so much knowledge that our ancestors had that has been erased by Religions around the world. I am glad that people are actually doing something about it. God never intended for the wisdom he granted us to be hidden by men trying to seal their blocks of power.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You know, i'm a spiritual anarchist and should be the first person in line to agree with you, but for some odd reason I don't.

It's true that the manuscript was written over by a monk to create a copy of his churches dogma, but I seriously doubt it was a deliberate attempt to erase knowledge in the name of said dogma.

Parchment was scarce in those days and the monk probably thought he was just covering over some math book in order to present what was, in his opinion, a greater truth.

I've covered many math books with prayer in my schooling years. I don't blame the monk.

I still hope they recover the lost knowledge of archemedes. The text in question is the only one known to exist of his actual formuli. That would be cool.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This might be newsworthy if your title and intro had anything to do with the story. The story itself says this was not destroyed to hide anything, just reused as was a common practice.

It was erased about 200 years later by a monk who reused the parchment for a prayer book, creating a twice-used parchment book known as a "palimpsest." In the 12th century, parchment - scraped and dried animal skins - was rare and costly, and Archimedes' works were in less demand.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Parchment was scarce in those days and the monk probably thought he was just covering over some math book in order to present what was, in his opinion, a greater truth.

Yep. Write-overs happened all the time. There was just a show
about these things on the History Channel. It wasn't a conspiracy
against anyone in particular ... just a paper shortage.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Re-use (the original recycling
) was also quite common in the art of that period. Canvasses were painted over; large sculptures were cut into smaller ones.

I, too, am happy that we may be able to recover some of these early writings but can't see it as a consipiracy.

Th context of this makes it all the more heinous that ancient libraries were burned - that was the real method of destroying knowledge that certain groups wanted to purge.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
this is just another attempt to blame religion, and in particulary christianity, for anything negative.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
this is just another attempt to blame religion, and in particulary christianity, for anything negative.

I agree, very tabloid. Let's see what was written below, if it was common knowledge and discuss once all the results are in.

"I had a million dollar idea once. It was called the

game."

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Even if one is in possession of the 'purest' and absolutely pristine (untampered with) manuscript of a scriptural nature--or even a work that said 'God Himself wrote this'--unless God Himself explains what it says to that one's heart--it will still be nothing more than a puzzling enigma and will give rise to much disinformation.

Because only by believing that only God can show us His truth, will we be shown that truth. We cannot find it or decipher it on our own and no other man can teach it to us in its untainted form.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
OK so it has been a long time since I started this thread and, quite frankly, I forgot it was even here. Not the topic, mind you, just the thread. Now then, after reading the replies all I have to say is: REALLY?

You people who can find a conspiracy in everything are not willing to acknowledge the KNOWN fact of the Church's efforts to wipe out contradicting viewpoints? Even going so far as to name this monk/priest/whatever a blasted recycler saying he did nothing wrong? I am flabbergasted.

And really, I can't see how my title is off topic. I won't believe for an instant that this document being written over was some timely coincidence. That is plain idiocy.

Recently in Africa

and the artic

and in the ancient past see 400s

[edit on 9-11-2009 by Mr No One]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr No One

Perhaps a choice was made in which this manuscript was reused because they saw the knowledge as wrong-minded or even evil - they were pretty ridiculous in those days.

They did seize and hide information they felt threatened their position as the unilateral authority on reality. I find it a flaw in autocracy and oligarchy, but I suspect that not all such events are representative of anything more than the ignorance of the age.

Don't fret. I don't think anyone argues that this didn't occur, only that this instance may be driven by seeing what you want to see. You may be right, but it would be much more compelling if they had burned the tome, rather than bleaching it and reusing the paper. I'm sure they never imagined anything that could recover the original text.

Since it has been a while. do you have any news on the results of their efforts?

[edit on 9-11-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thank you for your input. Here is an interesting article on what has been found.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

There was so much knowledge that our ancestors had that has been erased by Religions around the world.

I know that evil religion grrrr.. oh please. I think between everything the theists have done and everything Stalin,Pol Pot and kim jong il (all athiests) have done nobody's hands do not have blood on them.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
IMHO atheism is a religion in and of itself. I make now amends for anything "political" powers have done. I myself hold no association to the religions of man, just an idea of God and a thirst for knowledge.

Organized religion is just like a political government - there for only one thing and that is to secure more power unto itself.

top topics

join