It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are muslims being targetted as terrorists?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Im not talking about Islamic terrorists who are openly support terrorism, im talking about the normal joes that work 9-5 and help at in the community. Why are innconent muslims being targetted as terrorists? it seems, a stereotypical terrorists is now a muslim nationalists, anyone can be a terrorist.

Whats this about the Holy Qur'an being accused as being a tool of terrorists? its a holy book, not a how to guide on terrorism, as you can tell this sort of thing gets to me. I really dont understand how normal muslims are being targetted, what have they done wrong? they pay taxes like you and me, they help out in the community and they are respectly people, like you and me, why target them?

Dont give me "well, its islamic terrorists" because thats bull, if you read the Qur'an you will see that people who choose bits of the Qur'an to worship, like Islamic Terrorists, are not real muslims. Islamic terrorists has been around for decades, but normal muslims didnt face being targetted cause of it. What has changed?

[edit]
Typo in title - sorry

[edit on 22-5-2005 by infinite]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well lots of people don't see people as individuals they see them as "all the same" if you know what I mean with what has happened (like 911) then people think their all like that. I also think the media hasnt helped either.

[edit on 22/5/05 by Stranger Dreamer]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stranger Dreamer
Well lots of people don't see people as individuals they see them as "all the same" if you know what I mean with what has happened (like 911) then people think their all like that. I also think the media has'nt helped either.

agreed.
i dont think the media has helped either, it seems the media has painted a terrorist as an islamic male

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
People from white neighborhoods can't tell two black guys apart until they've known them for some time. People from predominantly Asian neighborhoods can't properly identify black individuals in a lineup. Those who live among similar looking people, can't tell one outsider apart from another in most cases.

This has been proven in at least one study, and has been used to throw out the testimony of an asian clerk who fingered a black man for a robbery. The defense proved, in court, that the man couldn't tell the difference between two black men, when it came time to pick which one he had just been shown. If we haven't excercised our ability to tell the difference between individuals in a broader race or ethnic group, that ability is atrophied. Those who grow up in multicultural communities, and those who attend colleges, work internationally, and so on, have no problem in this area.

The point of all that was this: People can't even tell people apart by their physical characteristics. How can we expect them to tell people apart by their religious convictions? Until everybody gets in the habit of wearing a CV tacked to their forehead, we're all strangers to each other until we socialize.

If you want a mixed society, socialization is necessary. When you introduce animals to each other, you follow certain procedures to minimize fights. These same procedures should be taken to socialize muslims and americans at large. Put them in cages next to each other until the hissing stops.

What we have now in the states is something like equal but separate. People live in racial clusters and, by and large, are encouraged to be xenophobic towards outsiders. This is probably the natural response of any organism when thrust into a physical space with multiple 'foreign' entities. We gather in like groups, circle the wagons, and eye the others with suspicion. I see it every day in my town, I saw it every day in the city, I read about it all the time in nature, it's a reality of existence, a staple up until now.

If we want people to get along, we have to get them to know each other, on a personal basis. The number of reformed racists is encouraging, and I'm willing to bet they all came around in the same way, they had a relationship with a person from that group they once hated. This happens all the time, and it should be helped along whenever possible. Part of the process for training soldiers is to dehumanize the enemy, this is universal among nations, creeds, religions, and gangs. To know your enemy as human, to see his family..that changes a critical element in the equation. Your brain uses two different pieces of software for dealing with acquaintances vs. strangers.

Obviously the traditions and customs of the various sides act as barriers to this sort of meeting, certain questions need to be answered. Who will change their mode of dress, relax their ethical code, and put away their religious dogma? Who will be the first to give trust without knowing if it will be stolen? Who will open their door or their ears to listen, when they have been trained by their instincts not to?

This is a very complicated matter, and nobody has found a surefire way to remedy the situation (to my knowledge).

This is exactly why we(humans) have always lived in segregated societies, to minimize uncomfortable cross-culture interaction that might start fights. It makes sense to our brains, but does it make us happy? Does our happiness matter? I think no, and no, honestly. Our happiness is just an evolved tool that steers us towards survival, if it ever breaks or malfunctions, we need to steer ourselves. I think our society has changes too fast for our software, and we are suffering from rampant conflicts.

This problem can be solved between sensible people, moderates of both sides have opened up to each other all over the world in recent decades. The extremists, however, remain.

They poison the well, and deprive us all of peace.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
People still do believe " One bad apple, spoils the barrel", hence the stereotypes emerge.

The media definitely should take a major share of the blame.

Two scenario headlines:
"Muslim Terrorist planned to bomb the building", if the terrorist was Islamic.
"Terrorist planned to bomb the building", if the terrorist was of any other religion.

In the second case, the religious affiliations would invariably be omitted. And, this leads to the branding of Muslim=terrorist, no matter however innocent s/he may be.

[edit on 22-5-2005 by Quake]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
i still dont understand why they are pushing the blame to muslims though

its not fair

People still do believe " One bad apple, spoils the others", hence the stereotypes emerge.

I understand what you mean, the media does kinda build up the stereotypes

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
i still dont understand why they are pushing the blame to muslims though

its not fair

People still do believe " One bad apple, spoils the others", hence the stereotypes emerge.

I understand what you mean, the media does kinda build up the stereotypes

Here's a way out there approach..

Remember Germany? WWII and the "crusade" to rid the lands of Jews? Which turned more into a huge power/land grab on Germany's side.

What if the same thing is happening right now, just under the radars?

"People" are being detained from all over the world and put into prison camps. Gitmo, Camp Cropper, the like..

And the reason? These people are muslim and could/would do something horrible like bomb one of our buildings in the states.

Just look up how many people are getting pumped into detention camps. You read EVERY day of people being 'detained'.. of course, ALL in the name of the War on TERROORRRR!...

Right now we are experiencing the same thing the Germans experienced.. denial. Our government is launching a World War in the name of "terror" and slowly but surely stirring the media pot of propaganda..

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's true, people do stereotype people who look Arabic or whatever.
I say that because we have no way of knowing if they're Christian, Muslim or if they serve HK....but yes we do associate them all as being Muslims. Even Im guilty of it, whenever I fly Im extra cautious of Arab looking people on the airplane.

But is what really pisses me off is when people act on a stereotype...like when someone denies gas to Arabs, Ill look for the link..I cant find it now.
Or when Arabs deny srervice to Marines and service members...it's a works both ways...

This is gonna sound weird, but here goes. Sometimes stereotyping is a good thing...being alert. Say you're a young women walking home from work and a middle aged white man ask you if you to hold a flash light so he can change his tire...it's dark outside, im not saying don't help, just be extra cautious than if it was a little old lady. History tells us that middle aged white dudes are more likely to kipnap women in the US. Or you could be white teenage boy walking at night on Penn Ave in DC and up ahead you see a group of black dudes...most likely Im gonna go around......

When people blow it out of proportion and actually treat others differently because of thier color, race..whatever..that what's wrong.

Al races, genders and colors are all capable of the same thing....but some are more likely to do certain things than others...sad but true

[edit on 22/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Remember Germany? WWII and the "crusade" to rid the lands of Jews? Which turned more into a huge power/land grab on Germany's side.

that was genocide,
America is not commiting genocide against the muslim faith

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just after 911 happened I replied to a family member that I assumed he had not just suggested killing all Muslims world wide as a reaction. He assured me that indeed he meant they should all be killed. There are currently between 1 and 1.4 Billion Muslims and it is the fastest growing faith there is. The western world was founded by, historically controlled by, and currently steered by Christians.
Islam is a threat to Christianity's very great popularity, and is likely to become, if it has not already, the worlds most popular faith.
So.......its the Crusades all over again, and the US leader has even used that exact term.
That is why they are targetted. I think there are other reasons too, but that is the biggie imho.
When Timothy McVeigh blew up the Oklahoma City building, killing over a hundred people, including young kids.... remember the headlines.....
"Christian Terrorist blows up building!"
Oh wait, no thats right, not one single newspaper in North America would have printed that.... I would bet money on that.
Showdown at Big Sky, that day will be soon..........

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

So.......its the Crusades all over again, and the US leader has even used that exact term

the US has created a "holy war" agaisnt Islam it looks like

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This has been done to death. Maybe a mod should move this post as we don't want to have, "religious muslim debate," as I have been told by the mods.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
When the OK bombing occurred the first thing we heard from the media was speculation about Middle Eastern or Muslim men being responsible. We (in the US) readily accepted that hypothesis, due to the fact that Middle Eastern men had committed most recent bombings of that type.

My analogy - Say you'd been outdoors during the day & you came home with in itchy bump on your leg. Your first blame might be a mosquito because last time you had an itch accompanied by a bump like that was when you were bitten by a mosquito. Even though you may not have seen a mosquito bite you this time you’re past experience with such an event was when a mosquito was responsible. Of course it may turn out to be a spider bite or tick bite depending on how it develops the next few days, but your built in prejudice for mosquitoes will having you cursing and avoiding them until you find out otherwise. BTW - more people die by mosquitoe bites every year than terrorist attacks.

Of course the OK bombing turned out (at least publicly) to be a lone wolf type & then the FBI infiltrated many militia type groups hence all white men who meet the lone wolf criteria (profile) or belong to militia groups are now watched more closely & are also considered potential terrorist in the eyes of some folks.

While it certainly might help if there was less right wing racist wacko's in militia groups it would also help if there was less Muslim wacko's blowing up busloads of civilians. There is two was to help change this stereotype, but both will take time & effort. 1) The people that belong to those two groups need to get rid of the bad element within them & not allow the racist teachings that may lead to the creation of bad apples. 2) The media needs to take a role by having more Muslim & militia types in the media portrayed in positive roles instead of just showing the bad ones in the media.

[edit on 22-5-2005 by outsider]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Come on infinite don't be niave.

The people who do the terrorism claim authority to do it FROM the Koran. That is their justification for killing others.

The are not just terrorists who HAPPEN to be muslim, they are muslims who have used their religion as a justification to commit murder and violence.

The muslim part is the key to their actions. Their religion is their justification.

In that case its obvious that people will connect the two and assume the Koran is flawed.

Why all the fuss now, well consider the American involvement in Iraq and 9/11, the world changed then, and unfortunatly the world woke up to what was happening around them.

To claim that its a new crusade ignores 9/11.

Whats this about the Holy Qur'an being accused as being a tool of terrorists? its a holy book, not a how to guide on terrorism, as you can tell this sort of thing gets to me. I really dont understand how normal muslims are being targetted, what have they done wrong? they pay taxes like you and me, they help out in the community and they are respectly people, like you and me, why target them?

Dont give me "well, its islamic terrorists" because thats bull, if you read the Qur'an you will see that people who choose bits of the Qur'an to worship, like Islamic Terrorists, are not real muslims. Islamic terrorists has been around for decades, but normal muslims didnt face being targetted cause of it. What has changed?

[edit on 22-5-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
While it certainly might help if there was less right wing racist wacko's in militia groups it would also help if there was less Muslim wacko's blowing up busloads of civilians. There is two was to help change this stereotype, but both will take time & effort. 1) The people belong to those two groups getting rid of the bad element within them & not allowing the teaching that lead to the creation of bad apples. 2) The media needs to take a role by having more Muslim & militia in the media portrayed in positive roles instead of just showing the bad ones in the media.
Outsider.

I cannot grasp the reasoning behind your point here, from this perspective. Islam and Christianity are two faiths, and have similar authority structures, operation systems, etc. So they can be compared, assessed, and judged on their respective merits and flaws. So I would have used these as my two groups in any example such as the one you have posted above. Militia, on the other hand, are something else. Both of the faiths I name have numerous divisions, sects, denominations, and varieties of customs, including fanatical, violent, armed terrorist offshoots that conspire to kill those whom they feel are heretical.
So my point is this, by comparing Islam and militias as your pair of groups, you are implying that they are similar. This is a subtle confirmation for any reader that Islam = Militia. I know these militia are Christians, but not all readers will. They will just store away a string of sentences that included Islam and militia........tying the apple and the orange together.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
The people who do the terrorism claim authority to do it FROM the Koran. That is their justification for killing others.

Not all muslims do though, only the islamic terrorists. As i said early, those that believe in parts of the Qur'an and not others, are not true Muslims. Islamic terrorists are not true muslims.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Comparing right wing wackos, to people who blow up a bus full of people? ok....

Crusade against islam? Um last time i check 19 muslims Or morons who claim to be muslims hijacked our planes and then crashed those planes into our buildings.. murdering how many thousands?

Hows this a crusade against muslims? seems more like a muslims crusade against the west/christianity..

This is a war against the morons who blow up cars infront of mom and pop shops in iraq, who behead people tyring to lend a helping hand to there ungreatfull ass...

This war may be one of faith to the psychos who use it as justification to murder others, but not for us, we are trying to rid the world of that scum, We
are at war with an ideology of hate.

And gitmo? you do realise that while we were at war with japan, we gathered up AMERICAN japs, and put them in camps right? What religion were we at war with then?

Until we put all american muslims in camps, and not just the ones who fight against us, stop pulling that gitmo crap..

[edit on 23-5-2005 by C0le]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
no need to blame the lot if only a few are causing the problems. Its not fair to stereotype afew because of a select few who are not try followers of that face.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
You must be trying to build up your points or something, Infinite. I don't care how many points you pile up, you cannot buy the site all together.

Of course, not every Muslim is a terrorist, but there's no more dangerous place to be than the neighbor of an Islamic nation. How many situations across the world are related to Islamic nations? Compare it to other groups? Can you remember the last time a Taoist beheaded someone for not taking that belief system?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

no need to blame the lot if only a few are causing the problems. Its not fair to stereotype afew because of a select few who are not try followers of that face.

I'm sorry, but it looks like you are trying to sound purposefully naive on this thread.

Even if it is 'only a few' (hundred thousand?) muslims that are inflicting a reign of terror on the middle east and the rest of the world, you have to look at the comparisons with other religions and groups of people. Read this article to get a clearer picture of the problem (people who think like you do) with muslims and terrorism:

article

Excerpt from the article:

It was front-page news this week when Newsweek retracted a report claiming that a US interrogator in Guantanamo had flushed a copy of the Koran down a toilet. Everywhere it was noted that Newsweek's story had sparked widespread Muslim rioting, in which at least 17 people were killed. But there was no mention of deadly protests triggered in recent years by comparable acts of desecration against other religions.

No one recalled, for example, that American Catholics lashed out in violent rampages in 1989, after photographer Andres Serrano's ''Piss Christ" -- a photograph of a crucifix submerged in urine -- was included in an exhibition subsidized by the National Endowment for the Arts. Or that they rioted in 1992 when singer Sinead O'Connor, appearing on ''Saturday Night Live," ripped up a photograph of Pope John Paul II.

There was no reminder that Jewish communities erupted in lethal violence in 2000, after Arabs demolished Joseph's Tomb, torching the ancient shrine and murdering a young rabbi who tried to save a Torah. And nobody noted that Buddhists went on a killing spree in 2001 in response to the destruction of two priceless, 1,500-year-old statues of Buddha by the Taliban government in Afghanistan.

Of course, there was a good reason all these bloody protests went unremembered in the coverage of the Newsweek affair: They never occurred.

Christians, Jews, and Buddhists don't lash out in homicidal rage when their religion is insulted. They don't call for holy war and riot in the streets. It would be unthinkable for a mainstream priest, rabbi, or lama to demand that a blasphemer be slain. But when Reuters reported what Mohammad Hanif, the imam of a Muslim seminary in Pakistan, said about the alleged Koran-flushers -- ''They should be hung. They should be killed in public so that no one can dare to insult Islam and its sacred symbols" -- was any reader surprised?

The Muslim riots should have been met by outrage and condemnation. From every part of the civilized world should have come denunciations of those who would react to the supposed destruction of a book with brutal threats and the slaughter of 17 innocent people. But the chorus of condemnation was directed not at the killers and the fanatics who incited them, but at Newsweek.

[edit on 5/23/2005 by centurion1211]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join