It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Young Australian Woman Faces Possible Death Sentence for Marijuana Smuggling

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
NC, that is your opinion.

You are out of line (in my opinion) taking my pics out of the thread and THEN adding your own little slap-

"crap picture"

That makes no sense.

To remove something you find offensive (a good looking woman in one and saluting Nazi's in another) then to call them crap pictures is the height of hypocrisy.

I'm complained in the 'gripe/help' section:
    NC just nicked two pictures I posted and then called them CRAP in the thread.

This is hypocrisy at its best.

You folks don't want open debate in ATSNN then tell people that.

You can't have it both- - well, as the ones running the board I guess you can have it both ways.

ATSNN RIP

*250 pts. WARN for complaining

[edit on 22-5-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Indonesia and other nations in this area have really strict laws about drugs. I dont know whether she had meant to or not but i find it hard to believe someone could place 9 lbs on you and you would not know. She is a foreigner so perhaps they should just deport her and prevent her from ever returning IMO justice is then satisfied(and the drugs confiscated). I dont think life in prison and certainly not the death penalty is appropriate for any drug crime. Yes, she should do some time and then be deported. There is a guy i heard about recently in califonia(i think) who is a first time offender and had sold a few ounces and because he had a gun it is an automatic 55 years. If he did not threaten anyone or tried to shoot at someone how does this justify 55 years. Thats what they give to murderers and this guy didnt kill anyone. Mandatory sentences for lesser crimes is ridiculus because of certain circumstances that cannot be forseen.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
oh man, I was thinking of India sorry, insomnia every now and then takes toll on the ol' brain. I know India makes Pana... So she didn't commit this crime then eh? btw she ain't bad har har

oh and why don't they just do what they do here in america to the illegal mexicans that commit crimes? DEPORTATION!

still in shock at the possibility of death or life in jail FOR MARIJUANA, whats wrong with the world mang!?!?!

[edit on 22-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
What saddens me about this thread, is the topic is about a woman wrongly imprisoned in Indonesia for a crime she didn't commit.

You don't know for a fact that she's innocent. I understand that given the details surrounding this case and her claims of being innocent and the victim of an "insider drug ring", does make for a likely possibility. But nobody can say for sure that she didn't really do it. Atleast nobody here at ATS who's only source of info is the link provided.

The posters have managed to talk about racism (off topic), sex (utterly sick consdering the situation), and drugs being harmless (again off topic).

The talk about Racism and Sexism are addressing the fact that in order to gain any Media Coverage in today's world there seems to be a need to also have some other agenda in the mix. Obvious examples would be the fact that the media coverage of Celebrities makes front pages everywhere for even the most stupid reasons. All we're saying is that it's BS that countless other people have gone unnoticed by the media because they lacked any kind of "Appeal" as far as the media was concerned. This in and of itself is a conspiracy and should be addressed as well.

Finally, nobody said anything about Drugs being harmless. In fact, my statement specifically said "Marijuana isn't even a drug." MJ is just a tool of propaganda used by those who want to make a profit from filling up prisons and justifying abuse against innocent people. We're not talking about heroin or crack here, it's f*cking weed for christ's sakes. You're in more danger from eating Jimson weed or Mistletoe than Marijuana, but nobody seems concerned about that growing everywhere.

This thread is not worthy of the topic nor even of being in astnn. Nor would I consider the posters to be worthy of a mature discussion board.

[edit on 22-5-2005 by Netchicken]

Give me a break!! Atleast take the time to find out what is really being said before you start crying about it and calling everyone immature and wanting to close the thread!!

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Here is a site on saving Corby
www.dontshootschapelle.com...

This is such an obvious political situation it would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic.

Indonesia doesn't care about the truth, nor about the girl, for them its all a game of politics.

What saddens me is that if this was a case in the middle east, there would be protests and riots on the streets by the locals, yet here in the west, in Australia and other places all we get is silence.

The only person who really helped, a stranger who paid for her court ocsts, is negativly labled for the action instead of applauded. It really shows up the dark side of Australain society and the low level of reporting of the Australian media.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Here's another low piece of reporting in the Australian media.

The accused's father was convicted for possession of marijuana during the 1970s.

Low. But true.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
To think that the Australian Media has had low-level reporting on this case is completely wrong. With Corby’s verdict coming down on Friday, this is one of the biggest news stories in Australia
Actually Corby’s financial backer got plenty of help: Corby backers swamped with pledges from: www.heraldsun.news.com.au...

And protest in the streets in Tasmania in her hometown: au.news.yahoo.com... and plenty of other support from around Australia.

Her case might saddening, but at least she was able to produce huge media coverage for her case, a financial backer, an interview with a supporting network, and in the end the Australian government to write a letter in regards to allegations of baggage tampering by handlers at the airport. Just over a year ago an Australian was sentenced to death in Singapore and there was barely any mention

www.phaseloop.com...
A SINGAPORE court today sentenced a 23-year-old Australian man to death by hanging after finding him guilty of heroin smuggling.
From correspondents in Singapore March 20, 2004

or that the former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Mamdouh Habib was released without charge and was scrutinized by the government and the public
www.fairgofordavid.org...
news.sbs.com.au...# (The Extraordinary Rendition of Mamdouh Habib)
www.abc.net.au... Ambassador says Hicks and Habib are guilty
Indonesia playing politics, maybe, but with all the media coverage occurring in Australia, and public pressure that the Australian government is getting and passing on to Indonesia:
Jakarta lobbied over Corby case from:.
www.theage.com.au...
the game is hardly going in their favor. The Australian government in cooperation with Indonesian authorities to capture the “bali nine” doesn’t seem as if it would suggest that the two were at odds with law enforcement at least, and perhaps even judicially considering they could have arrested them when they got to Australia and prosecuting them here.
Maybe the Australian public are also picking and choosing whom they choose to defend.

There are a few areas of the Corby case that may need to be cleared IMHO, one being mentioned before, why smuggle out of the country, it doesn’t make sense. Her main defense is that the drugs were planted with the implication of baggage handlers at Sydney Airport. Although from the Bali nine arrest there has been investigations into the baggage handler claim there has yet to be any arrests. The defense at the end of the trial used the good timing of the bali nine arrest to push thier case, but they really have very few similarities.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   

What saddens me about this thread, is the topic is about a woman wrongly imprisoned in Indonesia for a crime she didn't commit.

The posters have managed to talk about racism (off topic), sex (utterly sick consdering the situation), and drugs being harmless (again off topic).

This thread is not worthy of the topic nor even of being in astnn. Nor would I consider the posters to be worthy of a mature discussion board.
[edit on 22-5-2005 by Netchicken]

Thank you. This poor girl as you have stated has been wrongly imprisoned and she is in enough trouble without mindless stupid comments being made.

We can only pray that commonsense and fairness prevails but I don't hold out a lot of hope.

[edit on 25/5/2005 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   

The only person who really helped, a stranger who paid for her court ocsts, is negativly labled for the action instead of applauded. It really shows up the dark side of Australain society and the low level of reporting of the Australian media.

This isn't entirely true. There are many people helping including a number of high profile media people, a support team and there is a lot being done by the Australian government on the QT. I know this for a fact.

This story is much deeper than just this case.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Ok then, let's play with your idea that it is cos she's white (are you not being racist by saying "oh she gets off cos she's white"?).

How about the fact most people with ears, eyes and half a brain are able to see this girl is innocent. How about the fact that the indonesian court has repeatedly refused to allow evidence into the hearing which could have been used to proove her innocence, how about the fact that it's been PROVEN baggage handlers have added and removed items from luggage at major airports in Australia, for both local and international flights, through which Shapelle's luggage travelled, or how there is some guy who seems to have just disappeared who had claimed he knew who had planted the drugs in her bag. How about the fact that it is MUCH cheaper to buy pot in Australia than it is in Indoneisa? Why goto all that effort to pay double or more than what you'd pay if you waited till you got to Australia?

Next, we have the case of the very silly 6 aussie WHITE blokes who also got busted shortly after shapelle. While I have no sympathy for them because from what I know about that case they fully knew what they were doing, I bet you haven't even heard of that case have you? Or of the 200 odd WHITE aussies which are currently serving time over there on drug related charges?

I'm not saying there isn't REAL racism out there, I'm not that ignorant. What I'm saying is don't jump to conclusions. Ok, she's a hottie, and yes, she's a white gal, but so what? It's the circumstances which have got all the attention. Some people are soo obsessed with proving racism against blacks, or sooo obsessed about proving racism against whites they can't see the reality of things slapping them in the face. You need to keep a happy medium....defend people of ALL colours and race. Enough of these black vs white arguments. It's silly and childish.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus

How about the fact most people with ears, eyes and half a brain are able to see this girl is innocent. How about the fact that the indonesian court has repeatedly refused to allow evidence into the hearing which could have been used to proove her innocence, how about the fact that it's been PROVEN baggage handlers have added and removed items from luggage at major airports in Australia, for both local and international flights, through which Shapelle's luggage travelled, or how there is some guy who seems to have just disappeared who had claimed he knew who had planted the drugs in her bag. How about the fact that it is MUCH cheaper to buy pot in Australia than it is in Indoneisa? Why goto all that effort to pay double or more than what you'd pay if you waited till you got to Australia?

Of course it is so obvious that she is innocent......Perhaps this all 'needed' to happen, so that the Baggage Handlers thing gets exposed, who knows.....How many 'Other' Baggage Drug Handlers are out there.....

I just can't stand to look at pictures of her because it is so sad, the poor thing has already spent 8 months in that hell-hole, and if she comes out of this a Celebrity, well, then, good for her!!!......, I hope she becomes a Millionaire from it all

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

News.com.au: Corby judgment starts

CHIEF Judge Linton Sirait has begun reading the judgment in the case of accused drug smuggler Australian Schapelle Corby.

In the Denpasar court Judge Sirait addressed her in Indonesian, his words relayed to Ms Corby by her translator. According to Ms Corby's translator, whose voice was carried live on Sky TV, the judge then went over the events of the day last October when customs officers at Bali airport found marijuana in Corby's bodyboard bag.

Judge Sirait said the "suspect" Corby had admitted the drugs were hers, referring to testimony by Indonesian customs officers.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
So does anyone have any news on her fate or what her fate maybe?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
She should be killed for being stupid enough to smuggle pot in her luggage. Stupid bitch.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by White Widow
She should be killed for being stupid enough to smuggle pot in her luggage. Stupid bitch.

You can´t be serious...

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
So does anyone have any news on her fate or what her fate maybe?

The judge is still reading and that page I linked to is still updating.

Added since I posted:

The judge said it was "true" Corby admitted the bag containing the marijuana was hers, according to the translation.

She also had admitted the "marijuana bag" was hers, he said.

At one stage Ms Corby, still looking composed, asked how long the judge would take to read the judgment.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Not looking good...

The judgment summarised witness testimony about the handling of Corby's bags at Brisbane and Denpasar airports.

Ms Corby's translator was then called over to a table of legal officials and the device broadcasting her comments to TV stations was apparently turned off.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   

News.com.au: Accept Corby verdict: Howard

PRIME Minister John Howard has called on Australians to accept whatever verdict is handed down to accused drug smuggler Schapelle Corby today.

As Chief Judge Linton Sirait began delivering the verdict in a Denpasar court this morning, Mr Howard said the entire nation "feels for this girl" but Australians had to "trust the Indonesian justice system".

"We have to respect the justice system of other countries," he said

News.com.au: Corby calm in court

Legal observers said the judgment could still take some time to read.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   

News.com.au: Corby judges say charges proven

THE Indonesian judges in the Schapelle Corby case say the charge of importing drugs is proven.

A formal verdict and sentencing is to follow.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

News.com.au: Corby gets 20 years

SCHAPELLE Corby has been sentenced to 20 years in jail.

In a Bali court the judges said she was guilty of trying to smuggle 4.1kg of marijuana into Indonesia. More to come

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

News.com.au: Corby gets 20 years

SCHAPELLE Corby has been sentenced to 20 years in jail.

In a Bali court the judges said she was guilty of trying to smuggle 4.1kg of marijuana into Indonesia. More to come

This is an outrage but I am not surprised.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join