It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Young Australian Woman Faces Possible Death Sentence for Marijuana Smuggling

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A 27-year old Australian woman faces a possible death sentence after being accused of smuggling nine pounds of marijuana into an Indonesian resort in Bali. Schapelle Corby denies these allegations and preserves her innocence.

stopthedrugwar.org
The case of Schapelle Corby, a 27-year-old beautician from Perth, now facing a possible death sentence after nine pounds of marijuana were found in her luggage as she arrived at the Indonesian resort of Bali for a brief vacation, is gaining global media attention, stirring passions in both countries, and threatening to damage relations between the two neighbors. Her trial ended this month, with a verdict and sentence expected May 27.

That is in part because of the cultural divide between the two neighbors, starkly illustrated by Corby's case and the light it sheds on their contrasting approaches to drugs. While Australia is no Netherlands, and officials of the state of South Australia seem poised to take a step backwards (newsbrief this issue), still the South Pacific nation sits squarely within the relatively enlightened contemporary Western approach to drug policy with its safe injection sites and comparatively lax marijuana laws in some states. Indonesia, on the other, approaches the matter in line with its neighbors in a region that has become the heart of darkness for drug policy. Southeast Asia is a hotbed of virulent prohibitionism, with a full-blown drug hysteria and death squads in the Philippines, a murderous war on drug users and dealers in Thailand, and ready resort to execution for even small-time drug trafficking offenses in Indonesia and Malaysia, as well as Singapore.

The blue-eyed beautician's ordeal began when she touched down in Bali, a popular resort island only just beginning to regain popularity with Australians after the Al-Qaeda-linked hotel bombings that left 202 dead there in 2002. As she went through Indonesian customs with a group of friends, customs officers pulled nine pounds of marijuana from her baggage. At that point, despite her protestations of innocence, which she maintains to this day, she was dragged off to prison, where she remains to this day.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just last week Shanmugam Murugesu, a 38 year old from Singapore was hanged for smuggling three pounds of pot into Bali. However, unlike Schapelle Corbys case, his death was marked with little to no global response.

Shanmugam Murugesu has died virtually unnoticed. Schapelle Corby will die as a celebrity. I'll give anyone three guesses as to why this will occur.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Just a slight correction. Corby will not face the death penalty if convicted. It has been agreed that the maximum sentence if convicted will be life imprisonment and a large fine.

Corby is facing the prospect of spending life in a squalid Indonesian jail if found guilty of trying to smuggle marijuana into Bali.

Source

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
1.) Cause he was from Singapore and should have known better?

2.) He was tried in his own country?

3.) He pleaded guilty?

-koji K.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Try again...

Non-White
Non-Western
Non-Photogenic

And yes, I do really believe this.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Well, to each their own beliefs. I think the publicity is because this is a diplomatic issue, where the defendant claims her innoncence. The many people who get the death penalty in Singapore and other places are nationals of those countries, so, no diplomatic issues involved.

Something strikes me as odd about this story though. I think it's the amount involved- 9 pounds of weed is a LOT of weed. Can't say I approve of the death penalty as a punishment though.

By the way, if you're Singaporean, there's a petition online to help out that guy you mentioned. www.petitiononline.com...

-koji K.

[edit on 22-5-2005 by koji_K]

[edit on 22-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I voted for the story but the source is racist and biased

Probably true though

9 lbs.- wow!

Edited by NC
Crap picture removed..

[edit on 22-5-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I voted for the story but the source is racist and biased

In what way exactly? I can posssibly see the bias aspect being that it's against the 'War on Drugs' (but honestly, who isn't? Not anyone I know of. Apparently, some politicians are but once again I don't know them), but racist? Come on.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Quit 'pumping' your own stories!

I said it was racist and that is definitive!

END of story

j/k

You come across like a $2 dollar shoe salesman-

You can't force fit this stuff.

The story (and source) both point out that because this Aussie chick is 'white' she gets treated different. Well so what?

She also (ALSO) is a foreign national and quickly got the word out.

She was probably a mule (knowingly or not) and got busted. She will do long term jail for this.

Edited by NC
Another crap picture removed

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
FOR WEED MANG?!!!!!!!!

WTH!!!!! Don't they make Pana over there with WEED!?!!?!

thats why mess with the good stuff no need to buy a massive quanity imo

jeezy creezy

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

JoeDoaks
Quit 'pumping' your own stories!

I'm not trying to 'pump' my story. I'm just trying to find out how you assume that the source is racist. I post news regardless of whether people on ATS agree with it or not. That means whether it gets upgraded or not.

JoeDoaks
I said it was racist and that is definitive!

I hope you joking. Because if are not, then it's highly ignorant that you honestly believe that people should follow your word simply because 'you said it'.

JoeDoaks
END of story

Sad and Ignorant.

JoeDoaks
You come across like a $2 dollar shoe salesman-

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

JoeDoaks
You can't force fit this stuff.

Once again, what the hell is that supposed to mean?

JoeDoaks
The story (and source) both point out that because this Aussie chick is 'white' she gets treated different. Well so what?

It's a simple fact. She is photgenic, western, female and white. She is possibly going to be tried for death for illegal drugs. She has all the right elements to bring global attention. Simple fact of media and publicity. Quite literally, sex sells both in the news realm. The Singapore man that was hung will easily be forgotten.

JoeDoaks
She also (ALSO) is a foreign national and quickly got the word out.

Read above.

JoeDoaks
She was probably a mule (knowingly or not) and got busted. She will do long term jail for this.

She is being trialed for the death penalty. Did you even read any of the story?

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
She will not receive the death penalty. A 'plea bargain' has been agreed to. And the Australian government is currently negotiating a prisoner transfer scheme with Indonesia.
Prisoner transfer.
Please note this link is one month old.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Simulicra said
Did you even read any of the story?

Read and re-read. The base staory (link) clearly points out the guy that was hanged was "non-white" etc. As if that by and of itself made the difference.

You gotta quit being so quick on the draw (retort)- I put a "" j/k "" on my reply.

You know what that means.

As to 'force fit'- yeah that's right. Just like a guy trying to sell $2 shoes, push it hard enough and it will fit. I realize she was 'tried to be hanged.' I also realize that IF that happens more than HELL will break loose.

There has to more to the story than what has surfaced so far. I think it is 'forceful' for the writers of the stories to keep pumping their stories.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Indonesia, on the other, approaches the matter in line with its neighbors in a region that has become the heart of darkness for drug policy. Southeast Asia is a hotbed of virulent prohibitionism, with a full-blown drug hysteria and death squads in the Philippines, a murderous war on drug users and dealers in Thailand, and ready resort to execution for even small-time drug trafficking offenses in Indonesia and Malaysia, as well as Singapore.

Indonesia ranks at the top or near top of the countries that turns a blind eye to the exportation of drugs to the western world. If Indonesia was truly willing to get rid of drugs and drug dealers they would have solved the problem years and millions of USA dollars ago. The fact is it is easier for Indonesia to blame it's home grown drug problems on the west, tolerate the local drig trafficers and suck as much money out of the USA and the rest of the west as they can instead of dealing with it according to their laws.

Many people forget that a part of Indonesia is used for growing dope.

May a really big tsunami/earthquake strike them for that cause they didn't learn the first time.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
sanctum

Corby's fate now rests with the Indonesian judges. Although prosecutors recommended life in prison, the judges could still sentence her to death, to life, or some set term of years in prison if they decide she is guilty. According to wire service reports, Indonesian legal observers expect her to be found guilty and sentenced to a lengthy prison sentence. If that is the case, her lawyers have vowed to appeal.

That was taken from the initial link. I would like to say that it's unlikely that she be put to death, however if she is given a life sentence instead, it would seem as if the Indonesian judical system went easy on Corby just because of her looks, attitude and origin.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Believe me, Sim'...they are not going easy on her. 'Life' in any jail would not be easy.
The thing i can't work out is the fact that 'primo choof' is cheaper in certain areas of Indonesia than anywhere in Australia. So why try and smuggle it into Indonesia? It doesn't make sense.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I have been following this recently and have come to the conclusion that its a set up by the indonesians upset over East Timor and the arrest of the guy in the Bali bombings.

There is no way people would smuggle that much marijuana INTO indonesia, its like someone trying to smuggle a handgun into New York.

She as a pawn.
In Australia at present there is a big case about airport luggage handlers who use other peoples bags to move drugs between australain airports.

The connection is that her bag was being used and the drugs wern't removed before the bags left the country.

At present there are also 9 other young white australains who WERE trying to smuggle drugs out of Indonesia all awaiting trial there as well. Those guys are getting what they deserve, stupidity is no excuse. This girl is obviously innocent.

BTW the quality of this thread is appalling. ATSNN is meant for serious comment instead of throwing crap at each other.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
No that pic is not her, but this is. Aussie Pot Smuggler

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Let's just throw in religious discrimination in there too......

Genesis 1:29 "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
No that pic is not her, but this is. Aussie Pot Smuggler

Oh yeah, there is no doubt that her sex appeal is what has lead to her popularity within the media. They know that anyone who looks like that will get atleast some sympathy support and will gain favor just for her looks alone. That support in turn will produce a battle between the two sides, for and against her, which the media will have a field day covering.

Personally I think this is incredibly lame since all we're talking about here is Weed. Weed isn't even a drug, it's a freakin' plant just like any other plant that grows naturally right out of mother earth. There are more harmful plants growing in people's back yards right now but nobody even cares about that. It's just stupid to criminalize nature, especially when it has so many beneficial uses. But that's a whole other topic and I don't want to hijack this thread into a discussion about MJ.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
What saddens me about this thread, is the topic is about a woman wrongly imprisoned in Indonesia for a crime she didn't commit.

The posters have managed to talk about racism (off topic), sex (utterly sick consdering the situation), and drugs being harmless (again off topic).

This thread is not worthy of the topic nor even of being in astnn. Nor would I consider the posters to be worthy of a mature discussion board.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join