It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: British Scientists Clone Human Embryo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
British Scientist at the Newcastle University claim to have cloned the countries first human embryo. The research team removed genetic material from an egg and replaced it with DNA from an embryonic stem cell.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Newcastle University team took eggs from 11 women, removed the genetic material and replaced it with DNA from embryonic stem cells.

The aim of this kind of work - the subject of fierce debate - is to make cloned embryos from which stem cells can be used to

Meanwhile South Korean scientists say they have created stem cells to match individuals for the first time.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The result of the process created a perfect match of the original individual human embryo. It's also important to note from the article that Therapeutic cloning is legal in Britain in order to treat diseases and disabilities while Reproductive cloning with the intent to create a baby is illegal.

But the question is, why even bother to go through this process if you are just going to treat a disease. Why not...I don't know, maybe cure it instead?

[edit on 5/22/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
FYI - stem cell therapy does promise to cure disease - by correcting the problem at the source (cell production). The shift from claiming the potential to cure and saying 'treat' instead seems to be rooted in a political/marketing motive - maybe just cautious rather than manipulative.

Also BTW:

1. You lost some text in your quote; and
2. I am unable to vote on this submission.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
soficrow
I'm not sure what's going on with ATSNN at the moment. I submitted a news story, it was accepted, and then the link just...disappeared. I'm not sure what you mean about the 'quoted text'. However you not being able to vote on this submission is somewhat of a bummer.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The end of the sentence is missing, "The aim of this kind of work - the subject of fierce debate - is to make cloned embryos from which stem cells can be used to (blank)" ...????

...I've been away for a while - who do we alert for voting problems?

new topics

top topics

join