It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karzai Demands Custody of All Afghan Prisoners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The President of Afghanistan was shocked by the recent revelations of abuse of Afghan detainees and has demanded custoday of all Afghan prisoners, including those taken outside of the country.

He also wants control over US military operations in Afghanistan.

nytimes

KABUL, Afghanistan, May 21 (Reuters) - President Hamid Karzai, said Saturday that he was shocked by a United States Army report on abuse of detainees in Afghanistan, saying his government wanted custody of all Afghan prisoners and control over American military operations.

The abuse described in the report, including details of the deaths of two inmates at an Afghan detention center, emerged from a file of nearly 2,000 pages from Army investigators, The New York Times reported Friday.

"It has shocked me thoroughly, and we condemn it," Mr. Karzai said in a news conference. "We want the U.S. government to take very, very strong action, to take away people like that."

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Wow, this is pretty big news. I'd like to see what comes of this. Is the democratically elected president in charge of his country, or is the occupying US force?

Let's put that democracy to the test.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
We should gladly hand over the afghan prisoners so we dont have to pay to house these people who are evidently not a threat or guilty of terrorism if we have not already charged them or shipped them to cuba.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I think Karzai wants the ones in Cuba too. But that isn't to say that the ones in Cuba have been tried for anything.

new topics

top topics

join