It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Birds Attack (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Apparently Grackles, a kind of bird are attacking people in Houston, Texas. These large black birds are supposedly swooping from trees and such to attack various people outside the County Administrative building. So far numerous people have gotten several nasty peckings across their necks, faces and backs.

aolsvc.news.aol.com
Hostile Grackles Attack People in Houston

HOUSTON (May 18) - Like a scene from the horror movie "The Birds," large black grackles are swooping down on downtown Houston and attacking people's heads, hair and backs.

Authorities closed off a sidewalk after the aggressive birds, which can have 2-foot wingspans, flew out of magnolia trees Monday in front of the County Administration Building.

"They were just going crazy," said constable Wilbert Jue, who works at the building. "They were attacking everybody that walked by."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, this is extremly odd. Sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie, sort of like Birds. The article mentions that it may have had something to due with them protecting their offspring. However I find this unlikely seing as I've never heard of birds doing this before. First the exploding toads of Hamburg, now this. I wonder if these animals somehow sense something is coming. For some reason this reminds me of an anti-pigeon website.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
news.scotsman.com

[edit on 5/21/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is not so odd, really. I've seen reports like this before and according to the article the birds are protecting their young.

It appears that the birds are protecting their offspring. On Monday a young grackle had fallen out of its nest and adult birds attacked people who got too close, Jue said.

aolsvc.news.aol.com...

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This happens all the time in Australia, particularly from magpie birds, which will swoop down and attack the back of your head when they have a nest with chicks nearby. Been swooped a couple of times before myself.

They will usually only attack from behind, so people paint large eyes on the back of their hats and bicycle helmets to deceive the birds.

Swooping birds

[edit on 2005/5/21 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Its not unusual. Birds attack fairly often, when I was a kid we had a crow that would attack anytime we rode our bikes passed his tree till he met with a tragic BB Gun accident (we think it was suicide)

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yes, this has happened to me before. Natural behavior at work. Stay away from the nesting areas and you do not get dive bombed.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
About 10 years ago I was attacked by birds. Small ones but they reminded me of the movie which had creeped me out when I saw it. I was working in my garden and got dive bombed by the birds.

Turns out there was a bird house at the corner of the garden and it was the parents who were diving at me.

I just stayed out of that part of the garden until the little birds left the bird house.

It was scary because of that film.

top topics

join