It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: RCC Denies Rice Communion Host to Girl Who Can't Eat Wheat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
A New Jersey girl with cellac sprue disease, a disease that makes eating wheat products dangerous to one's health, has been denied using a rice alternative to the traditional wheat wafer used by the Roman Catholic Church in the communion sacrament. If the girl did consume wheat, her small intestine could be damaged by the protein gluten that exists in all wheat products. Although a priest did consecrate a rice wafer for her one time, the church later said that it was invalid and did not represent the body of Christ.

www.newsday.com
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- The mother of a girl whose first Holy Communion was declared invalid met Tuesday with Diocese of Trenton Bishop John M. Smith but gained no ground in her quest to have the Roman Catholic Church relax its requirements for communion wafers.

Liz Pelly-Waldman, 31, of Brielle, had a one-hour private audience with Smith, asking that the diocese help her persuade the Vatican to change its rules so that 9-year-old Haley Waldman _ who suffers from celiac sprue disease and cannot consume wheat _ can receive a rice-based host for the sacrament, which commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ before his crucifixion.

"I went to the bishop today and I said I understand and respect the fact that this is not to be decided by the diocese. I asked the bishop if he would facilitate my communications with the Vatican, since that is who makes this law, and he out-and-out refused," said Pelly-Waldman.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Why does the RCC have to be this way about things like this? Do you really think Jesus would deny her communion because she medically can't eat wheat? Sheesh...

Related News Links:
Living Without: Wheat-Free Worship

[edit on 5/21/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Diocesan spokesman Steve Emery, who attended the meeting, said Smith reiterated the church's stance on the issue _ namely, that the girl can either receive a low-gluten host, drink or touch her lips to consecrated wine or drink or touch mustum, which is a partly fermented grape juice.

A rice-based host is unacceptable, the church contends.

"Bishop Smith and Father (Joseph) Rosie presented to Ms. Pelly the three options available. I don't believe there's anything further the diocese can do for Ms. Pelly," Emery said.

Why can't she particiate in the ritual with the alternatives suggested?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Apparently the low-gluten wafer is still unacceptable for her condition, as she needs a totally gluten-free diet. The wine isn't a problem as long as wafers haven't been dipped in it. I added a related link that has more information.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This is very ignorant on the RCC's part. To be honest, I think Jesus would allow such a thing. It's my belief that God and Jesus would be more than understanding. From a religious point of view God made the poor girl that way yet the RCC doesn't want to seem to want to accept that. Twisting of religion like this is why Martin Luther broke from the Catholic church. It's also why we have religious nut jobs highjacking airplanes.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This is beyond dumb. The entire wafer affair is symbolic anyway.

Rice, millet, barley- something that doesn't hurt her should be O.K.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken Catholics believe that the wafer and wine are actually the flesh and blood of Christ. I don't know what that has to do with the issue at hand, but I'm pretty sure that is what is at issue. You know like wheat = human flesh; rice = ? or something like that.

[edit on 05/5/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's more symbolic than anything. So I don't exactly see why it's such a big deal that she would have to eat rice instead. To sum things up about it being symbolic I think that a Family Guy quote should explain things;

Peter: "Woah is this really the blood of Christ?"

Pastor: "Yes."

Peter: "Wow he must have been wasted 24/7".

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
All Hail the Power of the Cracker!

Or as Taco would say...

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
why don't you go where fashion sits,
Puttin' on the ritz.

Different types who wear a day coat, pants with stripes
and cutaway coat, perfect fits,
Puttin' on the ritz.

Dressed up like a million dollar trouper
Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)

Come let's mix where Rockefellers walk with sticks
or "umberellas" in their mitts,
Puttin' on the ritz.

Have you seen the well-to-do up and down Park Avenue
On that famous thoroughfare with their noses in the air
High hats and Arrow collars white spats and lots of dollars
Spending every dime for a wonderful time

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
why don't you go where fashion sits,
Puttin' on the ritz.
Puttin' on the ritz.
Puttin' on the ritz.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is just another prime example of why Religion should not be taken too seriously.

Well this and the beheading and stuff.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is an embarrasement. Get with the times, Catholic Church! The body of Christ could come in the form of a saltine cracker. All it is is symbolic, for Petes sakes.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I agree with Cybers that "God made the poor girl that way"

Plus, I totally empathise because I can't eat Wheat either

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Rice wafers?? Wait a minute here, the Pope aint gonna let you get away with that... that is Satan talking there whoa. Or was that Santa? Maybe Jesus actually WAS Asian and they don't want you to find out. Besides, eating Rice doesn't cause Gas, and in a church you gotta sit in a pew.

Any religion that has rituals based on Cannibalism cant be all that together as far as I am concerned. I guess worshiping some guy nailed to a stick, in the proper Wheat bread manner, is more important that allowing this girl to fulfill her spiritual quest. Just goes to show you how much the RCC is in desperate need of modernization. If she was a little boy, the priests would have other ideas for her spiritual needs and THAT would be covered up by the church.

Lets face it, Jesus was made of wheat, Satan is made of Rice, and the Priest is full of hot air from being a Gluten Glutton.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Pope Benedict XVI would never allow that. I'll put money on it, $.05 says no, any other takers and I'll raise you.

Payments can be made thru Paypal.

Hey, in some parts I am known as the Reverse Reverend, so betting on Vatican policy is fair game!

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
...why doesn't she just take the wine???

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Would the Catholic church please show me in the bible the type of bread and wine that Jesus used in the Passover meal when he first gave communion?

Can't find it can you? maybe that is because IT IS NOT IMPORTANT what type of bread and wine you use, but the WORDS of the sacrement.

next thing Catholics are going to say you have to use water direct from the jordan river for babtizing. No wonder so many people hate the christian religion, thanks alot RCC, you have no revealed yoruselves as the Anti-christ

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well if the church won't take the childs health into consideration I would say it is a good time to change the family to Presbyterian
Actually since DH is Catholic and I am Presbyterian I guess I might be a tad biased.
Seriously though I can't believe the church doesn't have some alternative for health concerns. Do they expect an alcoholic who has quit drinking to still take the wine too???

[edit on 22-5-2005 by justme1640]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris
...why doesn't she just take the wine???

Would'nt that make her a symbolic vampire?

Although I do agree that the RCC is being rather idiotic abot this whole affair, we really cant complain about it. The RCC is just a glorified private club, and we all know that private clubs are, well private. They make there own rules. Hence the term 'private'. Personally, if I didnt like a private club, or they would not cater to my medical needs, I would resign my membership and move on. In fact, that is just what I did with the RCC.

I was born and raised a devout Cotholic. I went to church 3 times a week in school, and on sundays with my parents. As I grew, I noticed the hypocracy of this religon and soon after I abandoned it wholey. (pun intended) I do still believe in God, but this pay to pray nonsense is rediculas and actually quite insulting.

Edited to add this:

Something just struck me kind of funny. When I recieved my first communion, we children (at the time. I am now 33) were given GRAPE JUICE instead of wine. If they gave children grape juice instead of wine, well, just more hypocracy by the RCC.

[edit on 5/22/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The requirement for the validation of a Sacrament is that it must have the proper intent, form and matter. In the cast of the Sacred Host, only unleavend wheat and water can form the matter. Therefore, anything else is invalid.

While many Protestants Denominations view Communion as symbolic only the Catholic Church recognizes the Consecrated Host as the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinty of Christ, that is that Jesus Christ in truly and physically present, and that Communion by a validly ordained priest is not just symbolic but truly the Real Presence.

While it is unfortunate, the situation can be remiedied by merely consuming the Precious Blood, which also when validly consecrated is the Real Presence.

Richard of Danbury

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm going to start a new faction of religion and in it, we shall eat 1 pound burritos and give thanks to the lord who created the guacamole... MOI!

corn tortillas available on request.

/flexible jesus

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Sounds silly, but I never thought about this before. If a parent serves his child alcohol(wine) before the age of 21 can he/she be put in jail

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join