It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bootleg Liquor Kills 100 Russians Every Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

mosnews

Every day more than 100 Russians die, poisoned by fake and poor quality alcoholic drinks, the head of the State Duma’s economics policy and business committee Valery Draganov reported Friday.

“In 2003 more than 40,000 people died; every day Russia loses more than 100 people who get poisoned by alcohol imitations,” RIA Novosti quoted Draganov as saying.

Wow, I didn't think bad liquor was that dangerous.
They'd be better off smoking pot.
I wonder if it's just hard liquor like Vodka that's killing people or if other alchoholic drinks are also dangerous.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Thats some seriously messed balooza!! 100 a day?? That is quite incredible, they should really do something about this because I bet a huge number of the deaths are underage drinkers as well. Oh, and high russkies, drinking bootleg booze, not a good combination.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
As a whiskey maker myself, yes badly made booze WILL KILL YOU. That is one of the reasons its regulated.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
this is truely sad, yes they would be better off smoking POT.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The bootleg liquor probably contains wood alcohol (methanol) which the body metabolizes into formaldehyde and formic acid, both deadly to your systems.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
100 Russians a day....that's not including the former Soviet countries that still import bootleg liquers for sale on the local markets in Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine, Latvia and many more.

The liquer found at the "market" is alot cheaper and even comes in bottles resembling that of JD, JB, CM, WT, Finlandia and Absolute. Many Russians and others are easily fooled by the look-alike bottles assume they are getting good deals on good quality American liquers. But to the trained American eye and noticing a few misspelled words one can easily see the difference.

Here is a picture taken tonight at my friends bar, just thought Id share that...not that you care. Most of the alcohol in the back ground is brought at the "market" here in a former soviet country.

After reading that and learing about the methanol, formaldehyde and formic acid from djohnston77 I will no longer drink the stuff....then again I don't drink but maybe once a month...so I don't have to worry about it.

[edit on 21/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
ahh the fine art of making whiskey, i thought private whiskey makin' was illegal? besides that people look at you funny when you walk out of the hardware store with a bunch of copper tubing.

"on good quality American liquers (if there is such a thing). "
you a commie?

not a fan of kentucky bourbon or tennesee sippin' whiskey eh?

Actually they say vodka is the most popular spirit in the US and apparently in russia too!

beware of dark eyes vodka!

[edit on 21-5-2005 by XphilesPhan]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
ahh the fine art of making whiskey, i thought private whiskey makin' was illegal? besides that people look at you funny when you walk out of the hardware store with a bunch of copper tubing.

Small amounts are legal, slightly bigger amounts are ignored around here. If you aint trying to make money off of it they ignore it, much like the pot growers.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

i thought private whiskey makin' was illegal?

It is if you plan on selling it...in the US at least.

As far as Russia and some of the surrounding countries, it is "illegal" to sell it, but not to buy it.....don't ask.

This goes deeper than just some guy making extra cash selling booz....

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
you a kentuckyan or from tennessee? In your opinion what do youlike better jack or beam.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Is your house full of these Amuk?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

"on good quality American liquers (if there is such a thing). "
you a commie?

HELL NAW....I was referring to the commerical stuff, not the good stuff.
Anyways, I don't drink......maybe a beer or two when I have a steak..that's about it...it all taste like crap to me.

vodka is the most popular spirit in the US and apparently in russia too!

It is....

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
What a terrible sign of the straits Russia is in. 400 people a day from bad alcohol - in Russia! The poverty level must be unbelievably destitute for that to happen.

top topics

join