It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I keep breaking things!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I havnt got round to posting this because I wanted to prove to myself that I do indeed break things when Im around them.

The weird thing about my ability or whatever is that I only break games, consoles and headphones!

So here goes, nearly every single game I have bought does not work for some unknown reason, even ones that are brand new and shrinkwrapped, the same goes with games consoles. For my Birthday, I got a Ps2 and San Andreas, my Dad tested them before he gave them to me and they worked fine. But when I plugged it in and booted the game up, it just wouldnt work!! I had to take both items back and got some new ones, now the new game wont work and the Ps2 only works sometimes!!!

At first I thought it was just coincedance until every single pair of headphones I own, the left headphone srops working. Its getting really annoying.

Now if anyone knows whats going on it would be greatly appreciated if you could help, because I cant ake games back to my local Blockbuster anymore and Im spending a fortune on headphones.

J_3

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
This may seem odd, but are you left handed? I ask because it was your left headphone which was more likely to break.

[edit on 21-5-2005 by J_3]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Do the products say (MADE IN CHINA) on them?

This could explain why they are breaking.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
i would check the outlet your using the ps2 in, and your hearing in your left ear.

try to isolate the possible causes, wiring, dampness, etc. does this happen to all electrical devices you use ? could a sibling or friend be messing with you ?

what if you play ps2 at a freinds house ? any problems ?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Syrinx asked the right questions if this is something normal. But since you are asking about it here I wonder if you think that there is perhaps a non-normal explaination?

If you do then my questions would be about you. How old are you, how is your life, did you or a parent get divorced reciently, that sort of thing.

It is possible, although not very common, that you might have some sort of oddity in your electro-chemical make-up. We have something similar at my house but it pretty much only affects lightbulbs. It is a fairly common thing for someone to shout at a dog, or in surprise, and have a light bulb go pop at the exact second of the event. No big deal, we just go through about twice as many lightbulbs as normal.

For those who are science-minded, this effect has followed us through a number of houses so it has nothing to do with the location itself.

So if you are looking for an answer of this sort, you would have to provide a lot more info for me to even guess at the answer. This has to go somewhat deep so if you want to U2U me with some of the info you do not want to go public I would be glad to give you my opinion.

A.T
(-)

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Can i ask if this happens around any other eletrical things?

do you notice if lights flicker when you are around? are light bulbs short lived in your house?

Maybe you have alot of eletric energy within you that may cause this...

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom

No, but my monitor now has coke on, thanks!!

Anyway, I lead a normal life, im not left handed and light bulbs dont really flicker or anything though I do go through a fair few bulbs in my room. When im playing games round my mates nothing happens so it might be my house, I do sometimes feel a coldness in the bathroom that I cant explain.

Oh, and my hearings perfect and I dont think anyone in my familys playing tricks because, well I just dont think theyd do that.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, I really want to get to the bottom of this.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't know what's causing your games not to work, but here's a couple of theories off the top of my head.

1) The outlet you plugged your game consoles into is supplying too much voltage to the console, and damaging it.

Did your dad test the ps2 in a different part of the house? Do other electrical appliances have problems in your house? ...when plugged into that particular outlet?

2) For whatever reason, you carry a lot of static electricity with you, and that is messing up your equipment.

Do games at friend's houses quit working when you play with them? Do you have troubles with computer failure or other sensitive electronics failing?

I can't think of any possible explanations for the headphones. Are headphones sensitive to static electricity, also? If so (I have no idea if they are or not) then maybe that is the root of your problems, although that still doesn't explain why only the left side goes.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
well theres a simple logical explanation for that
some electronical items just dont like you. or maybe you are full of so much electric in your body like static eletricity or lightning storms

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It's called bad luck. I've got it too, really sucks.

I break everything. Cups, dishes, little craft things, you name it I've broken it.

I won't even go into one of those ornament and collectors items stores. No idea what sort of damage I might do in there.

Fact is, we just break things. TVs, CDs, computers, arms, legs, cars, whatever... nothing supernatural about it.

I buy something, brand new, open it up, doesn't work. Return it, get the same thing, open it up, doesn't work. Video games, toasters, whatever... odds are if I touch it it's going to become useless.

We touch it, it breaks. I've just decided to live with it, sort of like I just live with sleep paralysis.

Once you accept what it is, it's not so bad anymore.

-O

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Now that you mention it, the computer I am sitting at right now goes incredibly slow when I am on it, but not when anyone else is on it.

My Dad did test it in a different part of thr house but the plu that it is in now is perfectly okay, I charge my mobile there and my TVs plugged in there as well, no problems with those items, except when I tread on my mobile of course!

im now wondering if anyone else here on ATS has the same problem?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
It is a fairly common thing for someone to shout at a dog, or in surprise, and have a light bulb go pop at the exact second of the event.

This has actually happened to me before, once when I raised my voice, and sometimes A bulb will just pop when I walk into A room, Can you elaborate more on what causes this? Maybe some links if you know of any...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I will be happy to discuss this more in a couple of days but as I am currently in Jamaica on my honeymoon I do not have the time. I will be back in about 5 days and I will respond then.

A.T
(-)

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have now had to take the scond PS2 and game back and I have got brand spanking new ones, the games work perfectly, but the console is a bit iffy- it works when it wants to. But the weird thing is that when I put this new PS2 in and booted up a game, the game didnt work so I got a bit angry, the controller that was in my hand just died on me and so did the spare that I pinched form my brother.

This might sound like im rambling now and that im just making this up for points (who needs em anyway:@@
but on Tuesdays I had an ICT lesson and it was hot and I was in a bad mood. The computer that I normaly go on, wouldnt work, and any other ones I went to wouldnt work either- they kept saying no monitor connection, though the plus were most definately in.

So maybe stuff dosnt work when im angry?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I am back, and I can see I have a lot of reading to do.

Before I talk about anything else I want to make a suggestion: Zanzibar you really need to learn to meditate or some other skill that will help you to relax and calm yourself. Right now you are having what are small problems, but as you get older, and shoulder more important responsibilities, things could get messy, or deadly.

Not trying to be dramatic here, just honest.

Ok, let's start with a lightbulb. I hope everyone knows how they basically work, a little strand heats up and glows when power passes through it. They are not made to handle excess power and I would bet that almost everyone has bumped a light and had it pop.

So in many cases it is not too hard to see that a loud sound could easily have the same effect, not often, perhaps when the light is nearing the end anyway, but not that uncommon.

Now up to here even the toughest realist should be in basic agreement, so lets take the next step.

Energy, the basis for everything, sound is energy, heat is energy, and when you look at it, even solid matter is a form of energy. Humans radiate a number of different types of energy, a few we officially acknowledge and can measure (EKG) and a whole lot that we cannot. Science is in the never-ending process of learning about energy and new types, and forms, will forever be discovered. But they exist, now, they have effects, now, and so you must turn to the mystics to even begin to learn about those not yet totally understood.

Different types of energy share some traits, heat is a common side-effect of some types for example. Run enough current through a wire and it generates heat. Some forms of energy can be transmitted through various mediums, and frankly a number of other similarities that are not all that important right now.

I think that as humans have a lot more power running through us than anyone currently wishes to really understand. So when someone tells me 'I break things a lot' or 'I am really unlucky', and most especially 'electronic things do not work well, or at all, for me', what I see is someone who by some combination of genes and experience who can project a little more power than is good for them.

No easy solution, although what I suggested at the start of this message is a good place to start. But it should not simply be accepted, that is a waste, a potential loss to yourself and maybe the rest of us as well.

What I do know, from direct personal experience, is that you can strongly affect what happens around you if you make the effort to do so. It can get better, perfection is a goal that I make no claim to have achieved, but I know it can get better.

A.T
(-)

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom

I'll agree this could be a problem. I have slept on many blow up air mattresses at relatives and they were purchased at Walmart and clearly state Made in China. Most leak and I end up on the floor. I have found a number of other products to be made in China that looked like good copies but they were defective. Even many products that used to made in the USA are now made in China. I wouldn't rule out a more obvious problem. I've had many problems with electronic products purchased from Circuit City. Of course that may be just a problem at a local store. I eliminated that problem by just not going there anymore.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Try this, go to the store, by anti-static fabric softener, wash your clothes with it, scrub down your carpets with it, and rub down your electronics gear, if its the little sheet kind. This will help to stop static from collecting and then discharging off of you.

I think they also sell this as spray but thats not safe for your gear.

I went to E3 in Atlanta in 1999 and crashed about every game I touched there, got a bunch of angry responses from some of the devs, and a bunch of free shirts from others. I could attribute this to only one thing, I am a Mac user and all these freaking games were playing...er...crashing on PC's.
They sensed my powers and fled into dysfunctional darkness.

Anyway, I found the anti-static dryer sheets useful very useful in high static-sensitive electronics areas. Now I have to remind myself to put them in the wife's car, I get blasted with a bunch of volts everytime I leave that thing!!!

[edit on 1-6-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Other people's computers always crash when I'm around

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I am seriously getting annoyed now, since ive got my third, and hopefully final PS2, ive been through another 3 BRAND NEW controllers!!

Everythings working hunky dory now but stuff like the PC and the PS2 do take stupif amounts of time to boot up or load stuff.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hope This Isn't Out Of Line

If you don't want to answer this, I won't mind.

Are you a teenager? Specifically, a young teenager (say 13-15)?

I will offer an explanation if this profile fits.

If not, forget I asked.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join