It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: NASA Science Uncovers Texts of Trojan Wars, Early Gospel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Technology developed by NASA, multispectral imaging, has astonished and delighted scholars at Oxford University, by revealing the text written on pieces of charred papyrus dating to ancient Greece. In the century since the charred documents were first discovered only one percent of the contents have been deciphered. Now, with this new technology, that rate is bound to increase dramatically. Among the documents now being deciphered are plays by Sophocles and Euripides, poems of Pindar and Sappho, and early Christian documents, including the Gospel of Thomas, that includes the "Sayings of Jesus" that some scholars believe is a more accurate a portrayal of Jesus than the Gospels of the New Testament.

www.nynewsday.com
The scholars at Oxford University are not sure how it works or why; all they know is that it does.

A relatively new technology called multispectral imaging is turning a pile of ancient garbage into a gold mine of classical knowledge, bringing to light the lost texts of Sophocles and Euripides as well as some early Christian gospels that do not appear in the New Testament.

Originally developed by NASA scientists and used to map the surface of Mars, multispectral imaging was successfully applied to some badly charred Roman manuscripts that were buried during the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79. Examining those carbonized manuscripts under different wavelengths of light suddenly revealed writing that had been invisible to scholars for two centuries.

Now scientists are shining the multispectral light on the Oxyrhynchus Papyri, an enormous collection of texts unearthed from the rubbish heaps of the vanished city of Oxyrhynchus, about 100 miles south of

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No one knows just how or why this technology works, but scholars are, understandably, very excited about finally being able to decipher ancient texts to shed more light on our past. One of the findings is an account of the Trojan War and how the Greeks got lost on their way to Troy and fought a battle at Mysia, where they lost and had to regroup before they could make their way to Troy. Some of the works record the introduction of Christianity to Egypt.

Related News Links:
www.chicagotribune.com
www.sun-sentinel.com
www.mcall.com

[edit on 05/5/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Fascinating. I wonder what secrets will be revealed, particularly in the Biblical texts.

Nice find.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Another interesting bit of science thatr falls back directly on sci-fi. Paul Hogan wrote the Giants of Ganymede series of novels. They had developed a reader that read through (can't think of the word as I've been awake too long)... material that is not seeable-throughable in paper thin layers.

'Twould be interesting to see that turned on South American Jungles or perhaps African desert, with some modifications, to see what really might be there.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Wow thats astonishing!

Will we get to read the true teachings of Jesus instead of the rehashing thats been passed down and modyfied over the last two thousand years?

Awesome development

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Not likely, any findings will be courted off to the vatican and locked away from "curious" eyes.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have to say this is really exciting to me I would love to know what is in all of the papers they found.

Maybe Byrd would know where they would publish the findings as they become available --

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I really like these quotes from the article and for those who didn't click I'd thought I'd quote some.

All of it was collected from the rubbish dumps of Oxyrhynchus, a city that flourished after the conquest of Egypt by Alexander the Great in 332 B.C. The city remained prominent in the Roman and Byzantine periods but declined after the Arab conquest in A.D. 641.

For a thousand years, the inhabitants dumped their trash in the desert. Over time the dumpsites were covered by sand, and they remained covered until 1896 when Oxford archeologists Bernard Grenfell and Arthur Hunt began excavating the area.
There also is an abundance of life's everyday stuff and miscellanea--tax records, marriage contracts, horoscopes, erotic musings, advice on how to buy a donkey and advice on how to cast a decent magic spell.
In one recent trial, the imaging process was able to read writing beneath the painted surface of a cartonnage fragment. Scholars were thrilled, even though it turned out to be just another government report.

Just another government report.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
"Some scholars" also believe we were created by aliens from planet Nibiru and that shape-shifting aliens live under the Denver Airport. What's the evidence?

Well, the best available evidence points to the Gospel of Thomas originating some time around A.D. 140 in Syria. The "gospel" also concludes with this:

Simon Peter said to them: Let Mariham go out from among us, for women are not worthy of the life. Jesus said: Look, I will lead her that I may make her male, in order that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who makes herself male will enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Does that sound like anything Jesus was recorded as saying in Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John?

As for the supposed "rehashing", again I ask, what's the evidence? If you destroyed every extant copy of the New Testament, you could reconstruct the entire text except for about 15 verses from the citations of scripture--over 86,000 of them!--in the letters of the early church fathers written between AD 100 and 325.

Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble, but in terms of the sheer volume and age of surviving manuscripts, copies, and citations, no ancient text comes anywhere close to being as well documented and preserved as the New Testament.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So if this is the kind of technology being developed for space exploration why doesn't the governments increase funding? Just think of the technologies that could be vdeveloped with better funding. Today almsot every home and building in the US has smoke detectors, which were a direct result of the Space Lab missions

*sigh*

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I wonder if this technology could also be used to get burned documents out of someones fireplace and read what was written on them? Is it possible this technology could maybe be used for espionoge purposes? Ha I wouldnt be too worried about it anyways. I doubt it is a simple tool that can be carried in your hand. Besides the ashes of burned documents typically become scattered within seconds right?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Keep an eye on the upcoming new information coming from St. Thomas the Apostle on the "Sayings of Jesus", that which to shine new lights on the early gospels of Jesus which could reinforce or change the ways we see and read from the New Testaments and the official gospels of Jesus the Christos.

I've always believe that St. Thomas and his writings were the more accurate views of Jesus and his messages than Matthew, Luke, Mark and John.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
(can't think of the word as I've been awake too long)... material that is not seeable-throughable in paper thin layers.

The word is "opaque".

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Here is a related story. Our future is made all the more exciting when our past is made more clear.

Particle Accelerator Used to Decipher Text

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
If the ink used for the original writing had any metal in it then synchotron radiation will make it glow. The link Grady just posted tells how this technique was used recently to read beneath painted over surfaces and to recover some text that had been erased on purpose.

This after multispectral light examination failed to recover the text.

[edit on 21-5-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is truly wonderful news. I only hope those that control the charred documents are open and forthcoming as to what is found. Also, they must allow a variety of scholars to view them, lest anyone think they are "slanting" the findings.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I've heard about some of these discoveries as they happened, great finds, espeically the text of the Trojan War. The gospel of thomas is universally rejected as being unauthentic, as far as I know. Apparently it was one of many, many, fraudulent texts floating around the ancient world.

new topics

join