It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water on Pluto?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hi, this is just something thats been bothering me for a while, You know how Pluto is frozen? Well that must mean theres water on Pluto right? So why not on Mars? And could it be possible they're, if there is a they, are just going throught some sort of ice age?

At
mix

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There is water on Mars. Lots of it. Most of it is frozen in the polar caps or permafrost.

As for pluto is ultra low gravity, has no atmosphere, and never unfreezes. If it has water on it, its not much either. From pluto the sun just looks like a bright star. It never gets warm.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The water on mars is full of sodium which cant suport life. Pluto has no water. It has no atomosephere to support nothing on pluto. the reson why pluto is frozen is because the coldness of space. the reson why mars may have livible water is that because the atmosphere used to be oxygen.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The water on mars is full of sodium which cant suport life.

Now that's a rather silly statement now don't you think? The majority of water on Earth has sodium in it, it's called Salt Water

And you seem rather sure that Mars cannot support life, alot of Astrobiologists would be hesitant to give an unequivical answer like that. They would at most say it's extremely unlikely, but they always leave themselves open to the possbility.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Wasn't there a project to change the enviroment on Mars to make it hospitable for Humans?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
ermm... i dont think we have technology to change the atmosphere of another planet. Let alone ours. Well there was that Haarp project that the U.S government is working on.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Wasn't there a project to change the enviroment on Mars to make it hospitable for Humans?

No.

People have proposed ideas to terraform Mars, but no one has ever tried it.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I wouldn't go as far as to say that there is lots of water on Mars. Maybe there "once was" or there "could be" water in the soil.

I'm involved in a research project at Kennedy Space Center that's attempting to send a probe to Mars that can definitely determine water.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus
I wouldn't go as far as to say that there is lots of water on Mars. Maybe there "once was" or there "could be" water in the soil.

I'm involved in a research project at Kennedy Space Center that's attempting to send a probe to Mars that can definitely determine water.

Then you should probably do some background research.

Picture of TONS of martian water.

The white stuff on the poles is mostly water.

Ok, H20... i supose you mean the liquid form.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Quest]

pao

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
wouldnt terraforming mars cost more than its worth? i mean yeah, id like to run around on mars, but the costs of fuel, materials, labor, etc. would run high right? and thats not counting the exploding space shuttles that seem to happen pretty often

apc

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If there's any water frozen on Pluto it got there from a comet impact. But no the fact that it is a solid hunk of bitter coldness doesn't mean there's water.. I actually can't even figure out that logic

... the exploding space shuttles that seem to happen pretty often

Oh comeon only TWO have gone boom, and the first was 20 years ago! You try building a rocket that has been as consistantly reliable as the shuttle system.
I can think of a few other countries that have had waaaay more ships explode on the pad, not to mention the ones that actually made it off the pad, in the past quarter century.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Pluto is very cold! Any liquid can be frozen on it's surface. It may be frozen Oxygen, Nitrogen, Helium, etc not nessisarily water.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pao
wouldnt terraforming mars cost more than its worth? i mean yeah, id like to run around on mars, but the costs of fuel, materials, labor, etc. would run high right? and thats not counting the exploding space shuttles that seem to happen pretty often

Look, having an extra planet is kind of cool. Once you have unlimited energy (and we will when the thermonuclear electricity becomes available in 50-100 years from now), a lot is possible. Let's say you perform hydrolysis of water in the polar caps, release oxygen into atmosphere, and use hydrogen in thermonuclear reactors. The neutron flux from such reactors can be used to generate deuterium and tritium, which in turn will burn in the reactors, so it's kind of a self-sustained system

The heat from the massive reactors will slowly increase the temperature of the planet. Then, after the introduction of green house gases, the planet will have it's temperature stabilized.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekarOfTruth
ermm... i dont think we have technology to change the atmosphere of another planet. Let alone ours. Well there was that Haarp project that the U.S government is working on.

We have been changing the atmosphere on our planet for a very long time now. Hence, global warming and the greenhouse effect. We have also found that just very minor changes are enough for major climate change. Hence, the world we live in now. So we do actually have the technology to change the atmosphere on Mars.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
There has to be a planet like Earth out there lets hope we find one ...

apc

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
We can change the atmosphere all we want on Mars but you still wouldnt be able to go outside without getting a very strong tan. SPF 150000 anyone?
You can cover the planet in clouds but with no magnetosphere everything on the surface gets nuked.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Well we needn't go in rockets. Don't we have those x-planes capable of space flight, some of them can go up to mach 25. We just need to develop them a bit more to be used in long-term space flight

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix

There isnt a project as such, but it is believed that if we can get plants and trees to grow on Mars then one day it will create enough oxygen for us to breathe!

I'll try and find some links to back this up!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
1. There is no nor ever has been water on Pluto... Ice more likely, in fact, i dont think it is even possible to have ANY liquid on the surface of pluto.

2. Sodium would never be in water in a free form to prevent life from using it. Ever took a peice of sodium and placed it in water? the results are ratehr explosive. Sulfer probly is more likely.

when scientists are talking about looking for water, they are talking about free flowing water that allows for life to exist, similar to earth. Mars really is the only planet in our solar system (besides earth) that has the chance to at one time been like earth.

[edit on 5/25/2005 by Jehosephat]

new topics

top topics

join