It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic protests outside the US Embassyin London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I see that there are large, noisy protests outside the US Embassy in London concerning perceived disrespect to the Koran by US forces.

I do not know whether their claims are true, but my reason for posting is this;

the Muslim religion preaches tolerance, and rightly so, but were the situation reversed, and Christians wished to protest in, for example Jeddah, about abuse of their own holy book, there is little doubt that such protests would not be allowed and would be met with strong force by the authorities there.

So much for tolerance.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
i dont know what gave you that idea:

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Hundreds of Egyptian Christians have been protesting at the Coptic Orthodox cathedral in Cairo.

Demonstrators hurled stones at policemen after they sealed off the cathedral.

The protest were provoked by rumours that the wife of a priest in a town in northern Egypt had been pressured to convert to Islam.

Coptic Christians form an estimated 10% of the country's population and often complain of discrimination.

The protestors have been in the main Coptic cathedral in Cairo since Saturday.

They are angry at the disappearance of the wife of a priest in a village in the Delta who is rumoured to have been forced to convert to Islam.

Periodic violence

There is no exact information as to the whereabouts of the woman and no one is certain whether she left her home willingly or under pressure.

Priests have been urging the protestors to stay calm, but some have hurled stones at policemen who have sealed off the cathedral.

The Egyptian authorities have promised to locate the woman and restore her to her family.

Although relations between Christians and Muslims in Egypt have been generally peaceful, there have been periodic eruptions of sectarian violence, especially in upper Egypt.

More generally, however, Copts complain that they often face discrimination and that they are vastly under-represented in senior government positions and in the army and the police.

Also, allegations of forced conversions surface every year.

The rise of an assertive Islamist movement in Egyptian society in the last three decades has produced tensions in Coptic-Muslim relations.
"

and it wasnt even hard to find it...

It would be interesting to see if the muslims protested in USA...

[edit on 20-5-2005 by nukunuku]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Incredible. The report was stated as being wrong, incorrect, erroneous. The desecration can't be said to have happened. WTH are they protesting over? The world should not give in to this bookish foolishness. Its just a book, its not sacred in and of itself. Its just words on pulp.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
In your haste to reply to my original comment, you have totally missed my point Nukunuku.

That protest in Cairo is an internal matter, I do not see any significant outside involvement.

The point I made refers to Muslims burning the US flag on the streets of London.

I stand by my original point that no Arab state would tolerate the burning of a fellow Arab state's flag by foreigners the way that we do.

If you can come up with a sensible counter argument to THAT then you might have my attention.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well UK is a democratic and tolerant country. Muslim countries are not.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well it seems that the rumors where true after all. The magazine is now saying that the Koran was indeed misused during interrogations in Guantanamo, and the Red Cross and other humanitarian agencies are coming forward to tell their story of allegations by inmates from back in 2003.

So hold your horses people remember when things like this become public, they tend to be true after all.

Keep tune to the news because is more to come.

What make it worst is the denial by US officials, instead of looking into the matter and see if is true they just denied it, when it comes back as a true deed then it makes them look like liars.

new topics

top topics

join