It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jorge Cortell censored in Spanish University (UPV) for defending P2P networks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The MPAA and RIAA is nervous about bandwidth. Just imagine that anyone with a computer can use something like Adobe Preimere, Avid, or I forgot what comes with the imac laptop and used a Digital Video camera and make their own movies. Anyone with Digi 002 board and programs like Acid and Pro Tools can make their own music.

My point is that in about 10 years or so, maybe the MPAA and the RIAA won't exist not due to illegal downloads, it'll be due to their being outdated. Get with the program. From the attacks from the RIAA and the MPAA, people are getting fed up with people snooping on peoples computers. If 2 computers want to communicate, why should they not be able to commuincate and share whatever they want? It's "MY" computer, not the worlds computer. When I buy something, it belongs to "ME," not you. If I buy a car, I can do what I want with it afterwards. If I buy a shirt, I can do what I want with it afterwards. If I come up with an idea, I can do what I want with it afterwards. If I buy software, I can do what I want with it afterwards. It no longer belongs to the company, it belongs to "ME." Mines, mines, mines, mines, mines. What I payed for and purchased is mines, all mines, not yours. If you didn't want me to have the software think of a new way to protect it or just don't make software or movies. If you didn't want a P2P network to get something, just don't make it. People are going to share, it's in the human spirit. If I have something, I'll share it with someone else who is less fortunates. Corporations, through the attempted "take-over" of the internet are trying to claim what was originally for scientific research and development. The hackers originally created web pages and everything that existed on the net. The corporations want it that the only way you can put something on the net is that it has to be for sale. They don't want you to just be able to "enjoy" something without paying for it. They want to control what you feel is pleasure. I bet if they could regulate an orgasm, they would do just that. Corporations want to control: food, water, and given time, even the air you breath.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by pfunkarocka]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Um no - concerts do not turn huge profits, it's the merchandising at the concerts and the CD royalties while only 50c to a buck, they do add up. Yes the biggies feel the pinch but it's more relative and less painful for them - more of a thorn in the side. The smaller artists that are coming up loose the most when that extra 500 bucks a month in royalties means dinner or no dinner. The up and comers will embrace p2p because they still need the audience base. At some point they will stop and the oldies that are not selling will embrace it to stir up new devotees. p2p is marketing cost for them.

I'm all for some pay per use model as long as once I pay for it I have unlimited access to it. I could care less if I have a physical CD or DVD to store it on.

Perspective:

Only 20% of actors in the guild (120,000+) make over $40,000 USD per year and it's a similar ratio for the music industry. 40k ain't much these days folks....

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
Only 20% of actors in the guild (120,000+) make over $40,000 USD per year and it's a similar ratio for the music industry. 40k ain't much these days folks....

I'm a writer, and my pay scale is based on ticket sales and DVD rentals. When people download movies for free, they're stealing from me.

Thieves, plain and simple.

Except, they're too lazy to actually "attempt" to steal my wallet. Some people want free stuff, because they're too damn cheap to rent the damn movie at the video store.

Elitetorrents just got shut down, and I hope these downloaders get sued for every single penny they have. If they use their parent's computer, then I hope their parents get sued and cleaned out.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Can you prove you lost any money what so ever from file sharing brimstone735?
Didn't think so.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
Can you prove you lost any money what so ever from file sharing brimstone735?
Didn't think so.

Studios lose money during a theatrical release.
Budgets for movies shrink.
Money for pre-production shrinks.
My paycheck shrinks as a result.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, and it was pretty ballsy to reply.

If you download movies from the internet, without paying for them, you're directly stealing from my pocket - and my family. That makes you a horse thieving s.o.b. and then I have nothing but ill will towards you and your family.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Solution.

Offer Subscription based services with really fast download speeds, at a decent price. Yahoo's service seems like a good start, but more needs to be done.

Star Wars doesn't seem to be feeling the pinch considering its the most pirated movie of all time

www.ifmagazine.com...

Let’s face it, industry insiders knew that had a champion on their hands when SITH took in $6.2 million from the nationwide midnight shows on Thursday. The first day total raked in $50 million, beating former champion SHREK 2’s $44.8 million. The three day weekend total for the final chapter brought in the record topping sum of $108.5 million, which missed the record still held by 2002's SPIDER-MAN 2, whose weekend total was $115 million. SITH did, however, break the four day record held by THE MATRIX RELOADED, which held the record since 2003 with a total of $134.3 million.

hmm....most pirated and also most profitable, kind of flies in the face that every download = lost money.

You cannot fight technology, you can only adapt to it. That's why they call P2P a Disruptive technology.

As for that comment about smaller artists feeling the pinch, tell that to all the indie artists who upload their stuff onto P2P networks for exposure.

Give me options, do not shut the door(which is what these Associations have been trying to do since the Betamax days)

Question did VCR's and Cassettes have a negative impact on your bottom lines Brimstone?

Now instead of Rhetoric, try to show me absolute proof you are personally loosing money.(And please speak MY language eg Finacial Reports)

I keep seeing stories that Movies are growing as well as Video Games and the Net at the expense of Newspapers, TV and Music. If that is happening then maybe just maybe your employers are fudging the numbers Brimstone, I wouldn't put it past them. So just who is lying, your employers or the finantial analysts.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
defend P2P networks and torrents too...

you gotta' love 'em!!!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Now instead of Rhetoric, try to show me absolute proof you are personally loosing money.(And please speak MY language eg Finacial Reports)

I keep seeing stories that Movies are growing as well as Video Games and the Net at the expense of Newspapers, TV and Music. If that is happening then maybe just maybe your employers are fudging the numbers Brimstone, I wouldn't put it past them. So just who is lying, your employers or the finantial analysts.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by sardion2000]

How about I do this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll refer you to the thread where I explained it to you the first time.

By the way, reference industry numbers concerning film grosses. Specifically, Spider Man 2. Well, Spider Man 2 cost 300 million dollars to produce and market. Theatre owners retain 30% of the overall gross of the film, because it opened in nearly 4000 theatres. Back end deals, with Marvel, the Director and leading stars strip away another 15% of the total gross.

Sony only retains 55% of the gross of the film. The gross would have to exceed 600 million dollars before the studio turned a profit. Spiderman 2 only grossed 373 million, leading them 225 millon dollas in debt.

What about merchandise, you say?

It would have to gross another 500 million dollars of merchandise, TV deals, international sales, video games, etc, etc, before Sony earned a single dollar.

Also, the reason why Beta and VHS didn't hurt the bottom line, is because films were cheaper to produce twenty years ago. Films weren't commercially viable for purchase, because they cost upwards of $100 per tape.

DVD ares cheap to buy now. But, if you bums continue downloading for free, we'll return to the days of Blockbuster as a middleman.

The only thing you're doing is hurting the films that you like. The only reason genre films get made, is because they turn a profit. If everybody steals it, the studios won't make those particular films anymore.

You don't have to look any further than the HK film industry, which was literally raped by video pirates. 70% of the HK film industry is unemployed, that's over 7000 people looking for work. They made 126 films in 2001, but by 2003, they were only making 56. The average budget has shrunk down to 1.3 million dollars. The average US television show budget is more.

Do you think we can make Spiderman 2 for 1.3 million dollars?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join