It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Alleged Abuse of Afghani Prisoners.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
A US army investigation report has been leaked to the media alleging that prisoner abuse took place at Bagram in 2002. The report focuses on the deaths of two Afghans in detention. Further abuse to other prisoners is detailed in the report.

news.bbc.co.uk
The New York Times gives a detailed account from the leaked report of their treatment.

Dilawar had been chained to his cell ceiling by his wrists for four days and his legs pummelled by guards when he was brought to be re-interrogated at 0200 hours about an attack on a US air base, it says.

After the interrogation he was returned to be chained up and died before a doctor came to see him.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find the timing of this media 'leak' interesting, given that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is trying to justify the killing of innocents at the same time. It seems like a media onslaught to further the insurgency, and taint the 'west' at the same time. Or is it just coincedence.

Related News Links:
nytimes.com www.abc.net.au
www.news.com.au

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As the flames of hate towards America grow, it makes me wonder how long before we are attacked again by terrorists.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Karzai 'shocked' by US abuse report.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai said today he was shocked by a US army report on the abuse of detainees in Afghanistan, saying his government wanted custody of all Afghan prisoners and control over US military operations.

The abuse described in the report, including details of the deaths of two inmates at an Afghan detention centre, happened in 2002 and emerged from a nearly 2000 page file of US army investigators, the New York Times reported yesterday.
"It has shocked me thoroughly and we condemn it," Mr Karzai told a news conference.

Source

Requesting control over US military operations is a big call, in my opinion.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I agree, but I can see the sense in turning over prisoner management. The abuse cases have only succeeded in creating more anti-US sentiment and possibly even fueled the terrorist cause.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
United Nations condemns reported US abuse.

A report of US military abuse of detainees in Afghanistan is deeply disturbing and those involved should be punished, the United Nations said today.

The abuse, including details of the deaths of two inmates at an Afghan detention centre, took place in 2002 and emerged from a nearly 2,000-page file of US Army investigators, The New York Times reported on Friday.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai, speaking before leaving on a US trip, said yesterday he was shocked and was demanding action against the culprits as well as custody of Afghan prisoners and supervision of US military searches.

Source

Sanc'.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Bush, Karzai to meet.

US President George W. Bush and Afghan President Hamid Karzai meet at the White House on Tuesday (AEST) with Afghanistan's worsening security situation and the torture of Afghans in US custody likely to dominate talks.

The visit comes at a sensitive time in Afghanistan where at least 15 people were killed in anti-US protests last week sparked by a report in US magazine Newsweek - later retracted - that copies of the Koran were desecrated by members of the US military to upset Muslim prisoners.
In more recent days, US media reports gave graphic details of alleged abuse of Afghan prisoners at the hands of US soldiers, drawing sharp condemnations from Karzai and the UN special representative in Kabul, Jean Arnault.

Source

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Military will consult with Afghans - Bush.

President Bush on Monday said the U.S. military would "cooperate and consult" with the Afghan government in its operations to rout out remnants of al Qaeda, and over time wants to send Afghan detainees at Guantanamo Bay back to their home country.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai, at a joint news conference after meeting with Bush, said Afghans were upset over reports of prisoner abuse by U.S. troops but did not blame the American people as a whole.

story.news.yahoo.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Source

No mention of Bagram AFB though.

Sanc'.

top topics

join