It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russia to Use Force if US Starts Space Arms Race

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Russia has stated that it would use force if the U.S. decided to weaponise space according to Vladimir Yermakov, a senior Russian official. The U.S. denies any allegations or attempts to weaponise space.

news.ft.com
Russia would consider using force if necessary to respond if the US put a combat weapon into space, according to a senior Russian official.

According to a New York Times report yesterday, the Bush administration was moving towards implementing a new space policy that would move the US closer to placing offensive and defensive weapons in space. Russia, China and many US allies oppose any weaponisation of space, partly out of concerns that it would lead to an extremely expensive post-cold war arms race.

Vladimir Yermakov, senior counsellor at the Russian embassy in Washington, on Tuesday told a conference on space militarisation that Russia was working through diplomatic channels to urge the US not to move towards fielding weapons in space. But he said Russia would have to react, possibly with force, if the US successfully put a "combat weapon" in space.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Russia has indicated that it will not be the first country to place weapons in space in an attempt to discourage America from placing a 'combat weapon' in the heavens. Mr Yermakov, however, has no intentions to solve this problem by force and would much rather prefer to diplomatically work it out.

The White House has denied allegations that President George Bush is about to sign a new directive that would weaponise space.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Space, in my opinion, is the last hope for humanity, the final frontier. Someday, people will immigrate off this planet in search of newer, better lives elsewhere.

And Bush wants to shatter this dream by putting his death rays up there? Dont we have enough weaponry on the ground? Isnt it enough we threaten the earth with destruction, but to now make the skies blaze?

And this after decades of agreements to keep space exploration for research purposes!

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well let's see how this week went... Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria and other assorted middle eastern countries, North Korea, Venezuela, and the entire Muslim population want to kill us... What the hell, it's Friday but I'm sure there's still time to squeeze in Russia.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Mythatsabigprobe, I wonder why so many countries feel that way. Could they all be wrong or maybe those they wish harm?

Interesting, very very interesting. Russia is throwing down the gauntlet and clearly stating they will not be the first country to put weapons in space. If the Russians are not going to put weapons in space then why does the United States feel the need to "protect its space assets"? Protect them from what? Terrorists?

[edit on 20/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I dunno... You think it was something we said?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
hehe yeah I think its whats been said as well as whats been done and will be done

If you had about a dozen people who didnt like you would people assume you'd done something wrong. Or they are all crazy or wrong?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Pardon my "arrogant American" rhetoric, but I'm pretty sure that if Russia ever tried to use force against America they would be blown into the stone ages. Russia is just sabre rattling. If we put weapons into space, the closest they would come to using force is sending a letter of disapproval to the White House.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Cutwolf]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
How many countries hate Russia? Most likely the same amount that hates America. Russia is helping one of Americas enemies to build nuclear weapons, so who is condeming the Russians for it?

Russia is worried about its nuclear arsenal from becoming obsolete. Russias nuclear weapons are its only real power anymore.

Russia is saying that we will use it before we lose it. This could bring about a nuclear war if they have the balls to destroy half of the worlds population. You know they will nuke china in a first strike senario because the do not want China to become the next superpower right on there doorstep to inherit what is laft of russia after America releases its furry on them. Nobady wins in this type of senario accept maybe Africa since the banking institutions would collapse and they would not have to pay off their debt.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
Pardon my "arrogant American" rhetoric, but I'm pretty sure that if Russia ever tried to use force against America they would be blown into the stone ages. Russia is just sabre rattling. If we put weapons into space, the closest they would come to using force is sending a letter of disapproval to the White House.

You may be right, but it could be a little dangerous to underestimate them. Hitler made that mistake once (Thankfully!). Besides, if Russia resorts to using force I would find it unlikely for them to act alone. Sometimes I truely fear the rest of the world is going to "gang up" on the US. It certainly appears that our diplomatic relations are not fairing too well.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf

And how exactly do you propose we blow them into the stone ages? Would this be with the same military that is taxed to the limit just trying to maintain order in Iraq? And Russia is just going to sit by idly and let us bomb them? Right....

Anyway, all Russia needs to do is convince everyone else to stop trading dollars for oil and switch the petro market to the Euro and then our army is not going to bomb anyone because we're pretty much in the toilet economy-wise. Or, Russia could just nuke a few Saudi oilfields and we're pretty much not going anywhere. Russia, being a net exporter of oil, will be sitting pretty. Hell, they could just send cruise missiles into our 4 LNG plants and cut the U.S. off from heating gas in the winter time and, again, send our economy in the tank. The only one sabre-rattling at the moment is the US, and we only get away with it because other countries continue to humor us and finance our debt and consumption (or, rather, they're just letting us dig our own grave). Sorry, the US is in no position economically, militarily, or in any other manner to go around challenging anything bigger than small fry like Afghanistan or Iraq (neither or which we've actually finished or won seeing as neither country is stable enough to attract capital for oil projects....). Nope, the US is pretty much in as precarious a position as an empire can be in and the only reason the rest of the world hasn't finished us off is because, a) they don't want to take the economic hit yet (China rather enjoys its huge trade surplus with us) and b) we're run by a bunch of nutters that no one trusts not to break out nukes if push comes to shove. Self-interest and our national insanity is all that stands behind us and getting our behinds kicked by Russia or just about anyone else.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I expect they may launch a missle against the weapon and I would support that too. No country owns space and no country should be allowed to weaponise space.

Any sane person knows that the only reprecussions against Russia would be economic or attacks againt their sattelites at most. The US would not go for an all out war with Russia.

As for all this bombing them into the stoneage rubbish, of course that would not happen, we all know Russia are capable of the same in return.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
rg73, how much of the trade deficit with China do you think is attributable to American companies manufacturing there products in China and bringing them to America to sell. I saw an interview with Waren Buffet and he said not to underestimate US companies and or America. Warren Buffet did not get to be a multy billionaire by being lucky.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Ya know after we sucked their lake out from under them you'd think they would decide they don't want nuna this...lmbo J/k. Read that one person said she knew we were gonna get 'em..lol that is still funny.
Anyway back to subject at hand...Bush has said he has no plans of doing such, did the New York Times make a mistake?
Investigating reporters....move ya booties, I want this report on my desk ASAP..hehehe.
I have to see some humor in all this because if not i'd be sooo wacked out on some kind of mind altering drugs, these war possible reports tend to make folks nervous.
Just waiting now for someone to spring up and scream its the NWO scare tatics...lol
Chill out folks. Russians want peace, just as we do

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm all for putting offensive/defensive weapons in space. Screw Russia and China.

I'm firing off an email to President Bush and tell him to press on with the new death-ray weapons he can put up in space and wait for any invading alien force coming out of hyperspace. You never know if the Star Destroyers could be popping up out of nowhere.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_oleneo
I'm all for putting offensive/defensive weapons in space. Screw Russia and China.

I'm firing off an email to President Bush and tell him to press on with the new death-ray weapons he can put up in space and wait for any invading alien force coming out of hyperspace. You never know if the Star Destroyers could be popping up out of nowhere.

yea! lets get BsuhCo. excuess to weaponize space is we need ot stop an alien invadesion!!! lol

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Russia has stated that it would use force if the U.S. decided to weaponise space...

but then...

Mr Yermakov, however, has no intentions to solve this problem by force...

So which is it?

Russia has indicated that it will not be the first country to place weapons in space in an attempt to discourage America from placing a 'combat weapon' in the heavens.

Russia will not be the first to put weapons in space to discourage America from putting weapons into space? Did they indicate who would be the first to put weapons in space to prevent America from putting weapons in space?

Does any of this make any not sense or yes? Who voted for this one?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I was under the impression that there have already been weapons put into space. (secretly)
There was a outrage a few years ago when it was revealed that the soviet Salyut space stations were actually tools of war, and had nukes on board...

One station burnt up upon re-entry and dispersed radioactive dust over half the northern hemisphere...
since that point, I think they probably stopped for awhile... but now they are trying to say that we are going to violate this accord that the USSR violated over 40yrs ago...
maybe The discovery program was biased... or maybe they now consider the USSR to be unconnected to Russia in any way?

I don't know, but I could swear that was what the program said
(about the Soviet unions secret side of the space program)

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well personally, I like the idea of having a big laser up there. I thought it was going to be used to shoot down missles before they can hit us. And since we decided to blame 9/11 on Iraq instead of going after the real culprits (Saudis), our military is stretched out all over the Mideast while North Korea plays with it's nukes. I don't know if they have the range to hit us, but I'd rather play it safe.

Just my one cent (can't afford two cents with this economy).

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
A little proof would go along way LazarusTheLong

Some satellites are nuclear powered, maybe the payload that disintergrated was such a nuclear device.

Originally posted by Smeg
Well personally, I like the idea of having a big laser up there. I thought it was going to be used to shoot down missles before they can hit us

Another example of how Americans think its perfectly acceptable to break any treaty they wish so long as its for their personal protection. Why doesnt that wash with the Iranians or North Koreans wanting nuclear weapons to protect themselves? After all the only thing prohibiting them from doing so is the Non-Proliferation Treaty. Actually the North Koreans are no longer bound by the NPT, much like America wouldnt be bound to the Outer Space Treaty if it withdrew. However, the North Koreans are not allowed to do this, yet its perfectly acceptable for the United States

When the Iranians or the North Koreans start invading country after country then there might be some valid cause for concern.

BOT, the Russians will prevent the United States from militarizing space militarily if need be, the consequences of them not is "game set and match, United States". Putin is growing bigger balls by the day and will not tolerate the USA gaining the upper hand in yet another traditional sphere of Russian influence

[edit on 20/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
ARE YOU ALL NUTS???
Has anybody seen some of those Russian women? Very hot!

All kidding aside, Our own government is continiously thumbing their nose at the rest of the world. Gee, I wonder why Americans are so hated?

Anti-ballistic weaponry works about 35% of the time (on a good day) If the US is going to be attacked by nuclear weapons, it won't be from missles. You can only see that kind of crap on "24".

No, our main concern should be when the terrorists, that want to do us in, finall hijack a ship and blow up some kind of weapon in one of our major harbors! I am MORE concerned with that than worring about Russian, N Korean or even Iranian nukes.

EAT WELL, STAY FIT, DIE ANYWAY!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join