It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible; How can one follow this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The bible, what a book! It is full of some amazing stories, and supposedly by belief they are true. Myself, I can not comprehend how one can dedicate themself to a book, with no real proof any of the things in it ever happened. People believe this man walked the planet years ago and because of him there is going to be an easy way out for those who believe. Thats pretty much the jist of the new testament.

There is to much history in this world of other things, beliefs, cultures etc... How can one go on with believing this. I sit here every day looking at and listening to people about all sorts of things in life. And the one that makes me nuts is those who believe everything is controlled by a god, the christian god. A god formed by a simple story in a book. A book of death, disease, love, hatred, murder, lies, miracles, and sex. Why is it like this because....
This book was written by man, edited by man, added to by man, changed by man, spread by man, and all of all believed by man.... kinda crazy! If there was a god or if jesus ever did exist why was it not written by them. Why believe something written by a simple man. If this book was written today it would be a best seller because of all the deceit in it.

You tell me christian, you call me an idiot, you say I will go to some place called hell, you say your god will not save me, you make me hate your god!
If you say I call you an idiot, you say it back to me ten fold. Is this what your god teaches you? Does your god say you should hate everyone who does not believe? Does your god say you should go kill everyone who is against your belief? Well this is happening everyday by christians against those who do not believe. It is a crazy world and it seams it will just get crazier.

The bible has stirred up many wars in the world through history. Many innocent people have been murdered in the name of this book. But still today civilized, industialized, technology enhanced man still believes and is willing to kill over this. This is the truth and seems to be the word of god.

A simple story will destroy us all.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Maybe its time to read the bible and find out what Jesus said to do.
You attribute behavior that is unbecoming to people who YOU say are christian. You asked a bunch of questions..and I picture Jesus asking some of the same ones.

In the first half of your post you list some of the things in the bible and say that the bible is like that because man made it.
In reality it is like that because God made it and its about man.

The problem most people who call themselves exchristians have is that they were part of a church that taught religion instead of Jesus Christ.
Atheists who spew the vile hate that they do toward christians have only ever met that same kind. The 'Christian in name only' kind.

The thing is, God knows who is misled and God knows you. You hate Him because of the people you have met, He loves you and knows you have never met Him.
If you have, then you know deep down that the words you spoke were wrong.

I can prolly help you find a church near your town if you want to find out what God is really like.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by jake1997]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I have read the bible many times, and I just dont believe it. It is so funny how you can read one thing in one gospel and then have another contradict it.

I am an ex- christian, I do not believe in anything saving me, and I donot believe in any heaven or hell. And I am not a so called atheist, just one living in a world of hatred.

It seems to me that the bible is all lies and full of deceit. And think about what I said, think of the people who have been murdered for this so called word of god!

this is what makes me nuts, no christian wants to believe they can be wrong.
Even when evil things happen because of their beleif in this book. Evil things that have been done by christians not by atheists, or those of another religion.

And the bible(new testament) was not written by god but by man several years after the so called death of Jesus. Men who have sinned and questioned this so called god!

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ncbrian211
this is what makes me nuts, no christian wants to believe they can be wrong.
Even when evil things happen because of their beleif in this book. Evil things that have been done by christians not by atheists, or those of another religion.

Most people donot want to beleive that they can be wrong. Few people are big enough to admit when they are wrong. Fact is, there are no two people on earth who see eye to eye on exactly everything. Most people are as passionate about their beliefs as you are about yours. Learn to agree to disagree and you won't be quite so frustrated.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Following the bible is easy. All you have to do is pretend like all the laws of physics do not exist. Pretend mathematics does not work. Pretend that you are a complete lunatic.

Then, ignore all the contradictory statements. Quote random parts of the bible to support ideas even though the quotes have nothing to do with what you are pointing out. If you can't find a good quote, do what jake does and modify it.

See, easy. Just be an idiot and you can follow it.

[edit on 5/20/2005 by Seapeople]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Dont worry about weather or not some of the stories in the bible did or did not happen, just look at the message and fallow that message.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
which message should i follow in the bible?

Please tell me? I can find many messages, not one big message.

If you read the bible as a book and not as a faith you find things others dont want to believe are in this book. As in the old testament, there are many phrases and thoughts by the writers that are just plain crazy. I am sure any right minded person would agree.

So what kind of message is this entire book sending me
is it all right for me to sin in the terms of this book and then turn around and say I am still going to some so called heaven because I accept jesus as my savior.

Crazy, just plain crazy!

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Talkin about the moral the story is trying to pass on.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If you have read the bible then you know the message Jesus taught.
If you then, turn around, and see people not following what Jesus taught..but YOU STILL call them christians, then the problem is with you.

The only suffering that comes from christianity, is suffered by christians themselves. Paul is a good example. Beheaded for his trouble. How many did he kill in Christs name?
Not one.

Now if you just want to hate God and CHrist, then go ahead. But if your going to try to justify it by the bible, ...whats the point? Everyone else like you , already hates Christ...and all the christians will tell you that you need to read it again.
Impass

Now if you would like to read through the bible again, I will be happy to read along with ya as a guide.
Genesis, John, Revelation.... all three are good places to start.
Let me know

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I never said I hate anyone, I just dont believe anymore. I have been where you are, been the one to preach things to others... and I found on my own it is for something not worth my time.

How can I base my life on a book, thats all writings. God never came down and said anything to anyone.... its a belief thats all, no truth to the matter. one big fictional story, written by man in a different world than today.

I never said paul killed anyone in the bible, what I said is the bible allows one to kill with no reprimand. So what morals does that teach. theres the 10 comandments but no punishment for breaking them. you tell me... admitting your sin is no punishment....man will always do wrong if not punished!

You cannot say there is, you can quote some line from some other part of the bible that has nothing to do with this and make it sound like it does. But you can do that with anything. anything can be said to try to persuade someone, and yes today you christians do this all the time....

I dont hate anyone.... I more or less love everyone.... without others in this world, religious or not, I could not live the way i do today... I depend on others for everything, from the food I eat to the clothes I wear, to the music I listen to and the words I speak.... Everything comes from someone, either christian, muslim, jewish, buddhist, satanist, peagen, atheist, etc....

This is what makes the world work, not that bible or god within, just man and man alone.
Look at man, thats all man, no god above or devil beneath, just a man creating things with his own hands, reaching for the stars, and creating life with a touch, a touch of his heart for a family to call his own. I need no god to do this bacause I am man and thats all.

This is the truth!

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
I will be happy to read along with ya as a guide.

Yeah, there ya' go. The blind leading the blind. What a site
that would be.

Croat is right NCBrian. There are some good lessons in the bible.
Even if you don't believe in the history or the substance ... check out
the Beatitudes.... also - do unto others ... don't steal ... don't murder ....
settle differences with neighbors before the sun goes down on your
anger ... beware beady eyed board-trolls who tell false tales of relgions
not their own ... (oops, that's not in the bible, but it's still good advice)

Question NCBrian - you said you WERE a Christian. Was that one of those
fundamentalist Sola Scriptura 'Christian' sects? That's what it sounds like.
If so ... it's understandable why you lost faith in God and that you don't
buy the bible et all. The unChristian behavior of fanatical 'Christians' can
sometimes really turn people off. Try again ... this time with something a
little more stable and not an 'only us' cult. It might make a difference.

UnChristian behavior can be found in all churches under the Christian umbrella. Sometimes separating the behavior of some church members
from what the bible says they are supposed to be doing is difficult.
It's very easy to judge an entire church group or religion based upon
the inappropriate actions of some of it's members. Example - if a
Lutheran minister misbehaved with a married woman in the church,
that doesn't mean that the Lutheran church approves of adultary.

You are posting here for a reason. Something inside you has moved you
to do so. What is it?

- You discovered 'the truth' about the bible and want to 'save' as many
people as possible from going down the same wrong path you did?

- You are still ticked about 'wasteing' your time as a Christian so you
are 'getting it out of your system' by venting here?

- you are in the mood to pick a fight?

- searching for others who had a similar experience?

- You were a Christian and you really miss it and you hope someone will
talk you into being one again?

What is the purpose of your starting this thread? Think it over and get
back to us on that. I am honestly interested as to what moved you
to start this topic. Thanks.

[edit on 5/21/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
ncbrian

I misunderstood. I thought you were asking questions for wanting to understand better. I now see what you are saying as a statement.
Either way, my offer stands if you want to know more.

In this very thread your point and my point is made by those who would call themselves christians, and are considered so, by the world.

I will answer any question you like about the bible if you want to know more.
For right now, I can only suggest that .. If you see people who call themselves christains...but DO NOT KEEP THE WORDS OF JESUS CHRIST, then they are not keeping Gods word.

You mention the 10 commandments..
The price for not keeping them is the lake of fire.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
no flyers fan I am not posting here because I am looking for something, I am just telling my opinion about this book not your faith but the book your faith is based upon.
And I was a catholic and a southern baptist..... so please dont try to tell me about christian beliefs...

I have seen enough christians to say what I am saying

And I still believe in something superior than me just not your god, and it might not be a god at all but something.... and I have every right to be in this forum without having some motive as you say.

But if I had a motive it would be to spread the word of disbelief in any religion pertainig to the bible.

And what started my thought on this thread is the last sentence I wrote in my begining statement

A SIMPLE STORY WILL DESTROY US ALL!!!

just look at the world today

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   

But if I had a motive it would be to spread the word
of disbelief in any religion pertainig to the bible.

Okay, that's what I was wondering. What it was that you
wished to get out of this thread. If you wished to tell others
what you believe, or if you (deep down) had hopes someone
would talk you out of it.

When you post something like this, we will wish to engage you in
conversation as to how you came to believe what you do. You will
be asked why. You will be asked about your religious history and if
there have been any difficult situations that have come up in your
life that could have lead you to disbelieve ... things like that.

An attempt to understand where you are coming from, and why.

I have every right to be in this forum without
having some motive as you say.

Sure you have a right to be here. I never said that you didn't. I
was just asking the purpose of your post. What you wished to
accomplish or what the reasoning was so as to better interact
with you. When I asked about 'motive' ... I wasn't suggesting a
hidden agenda or anything. Just wondering what it was that
made you wish to post what you did and what you wish to
have come of it. That's all. Nothing else. Nothing antagonistic
was meant. (you are a bit defensive) AND I have a right
to ask, just as you have a right to post what you want. You also
have a right not to answer. Rights all around ... eh?

[edit on 5/22/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Look at the world today.

1.) God said he would disperse Israel and that near the end he would gather them out of every nation.
Done

2.) God said that he would make a large people out of Ishmael and that his hand would be against every nation and every nations hand would be against him.
Don

3.) God said that Jerusalem would be a burden on the world, that every nation would be burdened because of it until the end. Look at the world.

4.) Jesus said that we would be hated for his sake. Done a thousand times over.

5.) God said that the jews would be coming back on the clouds Is61, and that sons of strangers (sounds like usa) would build up their walls...
Also that the ships of Tarshish (spain - england) would be the first to bring back the jews to israel .
England took Judea from the Turks in WW1 and the balfour declaration was 1917 letting jews return

Look at the world today. Its just like God told you it would be.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   

A SIMPLE STORY WILL DESTROY US ALL!!!
just look at the world today

Okay .. I am looking at the world today. What I see is that
when people don't follow the ten commandments, the 2 greater
commandments, and don't try to incorporate the beatitudes ...
they screw up the world. So the bible has value, even if you
don't believe in the Garden of Eden, Noah, Moses, Christ,
whatever. Like Croat said ... there are positive lessons in the bible.
Look at those. Try to live them. Perhaps belief in Christ will
follow ... perhaps it won't. But can you admit that there are
positive lessons for life in the bible - like those that I named?

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
yes there are positive values in the bible, I never disagreed with that, but there are some horrible stories in the bible also.

Like I said the bible consists of love, hatred, miracles, sex, murder, and punishment

So yes the love in the book is a very positive value, but if you read the bible without turning some phrase into something its not, you will then find everthing I described above plus....

See I always felt if god is the all forgiving and loves all then why would he say to go kill and murder someone.....

The old testament is full of this... and the new testament has its own too.

These are some of the reasons I feal the way I do

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Usually the typical cycle you find in the old testement is sin, condemnation, repentace, forgiveness, thanks, blessing

It is easy to focus on the bad parts and forget what actions led to them and how it was resolved

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The bible is a storey written by many.. this book is a decent read to find out that it is quite contradicting as are the followers of it.

Yes the people that follow this book and go to church regularily on Sundays are also contradicting. I've been I guess you could say disowned by churchs because I refuse to wear a flower print dress that suits their tastes.. my phat pants, leather, and skanky spankies are not to their likings.. I could walk in naked and I would be told to leave.. The birthday suit that 'God' as people call the higher entity is not acceptable in their his own house? That doesn't sound right to me?

The bible states that we should have 6 days of work and a day of rest.. who said this day must be a Sunday? Sunday isn't mentioned in this book at all. If you were born on a Friday then your day of rest would be Thursday.. The 7th day.

This book could be seen as of no good
because it's missing information... Just like a science book that is missing the middle of a project would be useless. I would like to know where the teen years of Jesus are.. why are they being withheld from us?

We are not to follow anyone but 'Gods' ways and yet people are following what HUMANS have written. Think about it... if this higher entity created us then wouldn't that make us all a part of it? Books and people can try to tell me the way I should be and what is right from wrong but in the end I believe living by the rules 'Tell no lie and do not do what you hate' pretty much explains everything. Wow a book that is soo huge summed into 2 rules.

People need to stop letting others think for them and start thinking for themselves. Write your own storeys!!

new topics

top topics

join