It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saddam tortured!!! Breach of the Geneva Convention!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The Sun newspaper's front page image showed the former Iraqi president in a pair of white underpants.

Other pictures showed Saddam Hussein washing his socks in a bowl, shuffling around and sleeping on his bed.

The US said the photos appeared to breach Geneva Convention rules on the humane treatment of prisoners of war.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Ok he wasnt totured but that pic is gross, Yet funny, to bad its against the GC rules to show pictures of him like this lol...

Humiliating that pos is priceless...

[edit on 20-5-2005 by C0le]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le

Though I dont agree with the war in Iraq (the second one), I do know what kind of a person he was and I have no remorse for him in his current position. I was in the first Gulf war. I have seen first hand the kind of wanton evil he can produce. I dont think the way he was captured was legal, but he was captured and he will answer for his actions.

I dont think you will find many people defending Saddam. You may have opposition about the war, but it is a known fact that Saddam was a dark and evil character. Justice will prevail and he will answer for his crimes.

[edit on 5/20/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
You'd think the might be smart enough to make an example of their most high profile prisoner and treat him in accordance with the Geneva Convention, to take a little heat off those accused of prisoner abuses. Personally, It wouldn't bother me if Saddam was to be tortured, but breaching the convention in this way detracts from America's self proclaimed postion of moral superiority in the eyes of it's enemies. Ill advised.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
hey they're treating him nicely....

www.nytimes.com...

compared to others...

[edit on 20-5-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad
but breaching the convention in this way detracts from America's self proclaimed postion of moral superiority in the eyes of it's enemies. Ill advised.

I think we are way passed that point now.

Dawnstar.

Thank you sweety

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
it's not with mine....but how do I shorten it?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
OK, a man kills over 100,000 people and then some liberals start whining about a breach of the geneva convention

Does this make sense to anybody? As far as i am concerned he lost and now he has no rights whatsoever

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Odd, I always figured Saddam for more of a boxers man.

I think the most interesting aspect of this story is that it happened at all. Perhaps the counterbalance to 'embedded journalism' is the fact that more and more average soldiers can carry small, concealable high tech photography devices? Not that Saddam in his underpants is particularly newsworthy, but it's interesting that with the advent of the digital camera we get articles like this to begin with. With the unwitting becoming journalists, has news has become the news? Or is the other way round?

While I have no love for Saddam, I do think the soldiers who took/released these photos should be punished, as they do breach the Geneva Conventions and have no doubt disobeyed their own orders by taking these. What may have seemed a funny prank to some guard has now become ammunition for the defense.

-koji K.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by koji_K]

[edit on 20-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
OK, a man kills over 100,000 people and then some liberals start whining about a breach of the geneva convention

Here we go agian. Did you read my first post? I guess you didnt take into consideration that I AM A LIBERAL! How about reading a little before you go makeing stupid assumptions.

Dawnstar. There is a way to put a hyperlink in place of the link, but the easiest way is to just hit (Enter) about halfway through the link.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
He has air conditioning, three meals a day, snacks, good medical care,
clothing, furniture, bedding .... Tortured. Yeah, right.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
The Sun newspaper's front page image showed the former Iraqi president in a pair of white underpants.

I take this whole picture business as "tongue in cheek".

Seriously, a lot of fools are going to make a big deal out of this.

People! Stop for a minute and compare saddam's crimes against humanity with the so-called "crime" of showing him in his underwear. Anyone who thinks this is even an issue needs to seriously get a life.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

People! Stop for a minute and compare saddam's crimes against humanity with the so-called "crime" of showing him in his underwear. Anyone who thinks this is even an issue needs to seriously get a life.

well, you're using one balancing test here, which may seem correct. you're balancing the crimes saddam committed against the "crime" of showing him in his underpants. fair enough.

but this isn't the only way to look at it. the more immediate interests to be balanced would be, one guards/soldiers/reporters idea of fun as balanced against the damage this breach of the geneva convention will do to the prosecutions case against saddam in his trial. saddam will likely become another milosovic, in legal limbo for years and years, and this event doesn't help.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yes, well no one seems to be mentioning that some Iraqis (with an agenda of their own) could also have taken the pictures and passed them on to the press. That scenario seems way more likely than the U.S. making some 'abu graib mistake' again. Some people are soooooo gullable.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
One of the Baldwin brothers was on Fox this morning whining that the Butcher of Baghdad had been humiliated enough. Hey, Jim Palmer made a career posing in his underwear.

Torture, indeed!

[edit on 05/5/20 by GradyPhilpott]

dh

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Anyway - we know from the appearance in court last July, that this guy, if it is the same, drooped his bottom lip, as is assured in underbite, and revealed himself as NOT Saddam
All snaggle-toothed and narrow-toothed, not the owner of the gleaming white pearlers of renowned Saddam
And as even the Volkischer Beobachter... beg my pardon..... I mean the Sun admitted in the article, the one allowance for this mind-control's vanity is the black hair dye he's allowed to use, similar to the black hair dye he was using down that hole they were alleged to have dragged him out from
Oh come on!!!!!
This is complete mf nonsense
Now Mrs Saddam Hussein visited him once in jail, and declared
"This is not my husband"
What utter, utter crap from Murdoch's Sun (aka VB)

[edit on 20-5-2005 by dh]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The picture would have been better, if he had been given a wedgie.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Originally posted by ufo3

Here we go agian. Did you read my first post? I guess you didnt take into consideration that I AM A LIBERAL! How about reading a little before you go makeing stupid assumptions.

Dawnstar. There is a way to put a hyperlink in place of the link, but the easiest way is to just hit (Enter) about halfway through the link.

I was not talking about u in paricular kid, i meant the reason that this is even being made an issue at all, the fact that some do gooder has decided a mass murderer deserves to be treated respectfully. Its a joke.

new topics

top topics

join