It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They Really Are Watching You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
They Really Are Watching You
Ready for your own all-new, sinister ID card, courtesy of Homeland Security? Shudder
- By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Source > www.sfgate.com.../gate/archive/2005/05/18/notes051805.DTL&type=printable

Well, now we've done it.

Congress just passed it and Dubya has promised to sign it and the Homeland Security Department is giddier than Mel Gibson in a nail factory over it and marketers nationwide are salivating at the groin at the prospect of it, and the next big step toward America becoming an even more delightfully paranoid and draconian Big Brother wonderland has now officially been taken.

It's called Real ID. It is, in short, a new and genetically mutated type of driver's license for all Americans, replacing your current license and replacing your Social Security card and replacing your sense of well being and privacy and humanity and part of a new, uniform, deeply sinister, national uniform card system whereby every person living and breathing in these paranoid and tense times shall henceforth be much more traceable and watchable given how we will all soon be required by law to carry this super-deluxe computerized ID card with us at all times, packed as it will be with more personal, digitized info about you than even your mother knows.

Real ID is coming very soon... (cont)

See link for the rest of article.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by RANT]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Wow! That article is bipartisan lol. The new ID is hardly "sinister."

Let me ask you a question. If you had a giant house, wouldn't you like to know who's in that house at all times? The libs hate the ID because it makes the country safer.

Wake up.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I am Libertarian and I still don't understand this.

If a Drivers License is OK and a SS card is OK what is the problem with a National ID card?

Either the Government has a right to know who you are or not.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Amuk,

Originally posted by Amuk

Does your government also have the right to know where you are 24/7?

Halloween,

"The libs hate the ID because it makes the country safer. "

More of your liberal-hating BS I see. For a user of a site dedicated to denying ignorance you seem to show a lot of it. Can you prove that another set of IDs will make it safer in your country? Remembering that all those involved in the attacks on 911 were legally in the country but were not US citizens so your Super-ID falls at the first hurdle.

Cheers

BHR

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Amuk,

Does your government also have the right to know where you are 24/7?

Halloween,

How does this give the Government the ability to know where you are 24/7?

What I see is just a super-sized Drivers license. Is there ANYTHING on it that is information they dont already have?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

What I see is just a super-sized Drivers license. Is there ANYTHING on it that is information they dont already have?

Of course not. The card, for instance, would make it harder on illegals.

God forbid right?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Amuk,

You really do not see the danger do you?

The same debate is going on here in the UK re: ID cards.

It is not a matter of where they start out it is where they go from there.

All the proposed cards have a chip on them which using current tech can store far more info than that proposed. Why? For the future.

This is how it starts.

Halloween,

As for illegals, they do not have drivers licences or social security cards now so what makes you think combining the two will change anything. It will just be another piece of plastic they ignore.

To the both of you,

All three of us live in "western democracies". I do not know about you but I for one do not feel I should have to prove who I am if I am simply out for a walk. Should I be driving I should have to prove I am licenced. Should I have to claim a benefit then again I should have to prove I am entitled to it but otherwise I should be free to go about my business in quiet anonymity.

What happens in the US if one does not qualify for benefits and happens not to have a driver's licence?

Cheers

BHR

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
All three of us live in "western democracies". I do not know about you but I for one do not feel I should have to prove who I am if I am simply out for a walk. Should I be driving I should have to prove I am licenced.

You have to do BOTH right now. If stopped by the police driving you must produce a drivers liscense. It has been ruled time and time again if asked, you must tell police who you are and if need be produce documents proving it.

I take it you refuse to carry ID now? Again what is the difference?

Should I have to claim a benefit then again I should have to prove I am entitled to it but otherwise I should be free to go about my business in quiet anonymity.

What happens in the US if one does not qualify for benefits and happens not to have a driver's licence?

Cheers

BHR

I dont understand this question. If you are talking about SS you have to pay into the system under your SS NUMBER to get benifits from it. You can not get a real job withou having both a picture ID (usually a drivers liscense) and a SS number, so again WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The tech here is the invasive part I can not sign on to. This is Bluetooth married to GPS on steroids.
Given the ability to read the data with the card just being in proximity, you have a combo identity theft/Fed tracking nightmare in the waiting. The evil is not in the initial product, it's in the logical extentions.
The author ref'd the movie Minority Report.....exactly what this would be.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Amuk,

Here in the UK it is not necessary to carry your licence whilst driving.

You simply have to present it at a police station within 24 hours if requested.

However, our government are looking to introduce a similar card to that which is coming to you.

I know that in the US you are required to carry your licence when driving so I can understand your POV.

Cheers

BHR

new topics

top topics

join