It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russian Lake Disappears Into the Earth

page: 1

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:05 PM
A lake and surrounding trees in Russia's Nizhegorodskaya region literally sank into the earth and disappeared overnight. Locals are baffled by the bizarre event. Officals believe a sudden shift in channels or caves under the lake may be the cause.
NTV television showed pictures of a giant muddy hole bathed in summer sun, while fishermen from the village of Bolotnikovo looked on disconsolately.

"It is very dangerous. If a person had been in this disaster, he would have had almost no chance of survival. The trees flew downwards, under the ground," said Dmitry Zaitsev, a local Emergencies Ministry official interviewed by the channel.

Officials in Nizhegorodskaya region, on the Volga river east of Moscow, said water in the lake might have been sucked down into an underground water-course or cave system, but some villagers had more sinister explanations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, that's kind of odd. One can only assume the original underwater lake system broke into an empty cul de sac or channel. I found it amusing that some of the older locals think that "the Americans" did it.

Related News Links:

[edit on 2005/5/20 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:34 PM

Hope more info evolves on this. I would like to know the previous size of the lake, depth, etc. any earthquakes in the area and things like that.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:07 AM
Hmm, some pictures would be nice!
Espcially a comparison of before and after. None on the yahoo link though.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:46 AM
Sounds like the Lake Peigneur Disaster in 1980, when an oil drill breached an empty salt mine and drained the lake. I could not find any pictures, maybe someone with more time can find some.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:21 AM
The first time to vote for an ATSNN article!
After reading ATSNN for months now, it sure feels good to get to participate.

This story is weird.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:41 AM
The Aliens did it!!! They are coming!

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:26 PM
ive only been able to find this as of yet, i believe it to be a picture of the lake before the incident. i could be wrong however, as the picture is not very good...

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:40 PM
Thanks for the previous link.. I hope thats a pic of the lake before disaster.. I also wonder about size of the lake and how much water would have disappeared? "Trees were sucked into the gound" How odd .. what caused it then also why did it just stop?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:50 PM
Here's the 'region'

page 30, Russian nature problems
Most active and dangerous karst manifestations for the population and economic objects
are typical for the areas of development of sulfate and haloid rocks in the Ural region and region of territory along Middle Volga (Bashkiriya, Tatartstan, Permskaya, Nizhegorodskaya and Samarskay regions). In the area of karst hazard large towns are located like Perm, Ufa, Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Samara, Almetievsk, Dzerzhinsk, Sterlitamak, Salavat, Solikamsk. The danger of karst sinks of the earth surface also exists in Kirovskaya region and in Siberia
(Irkutskaya region, Yakutiya, area of the city of Norilsk).

Karst definition
The word ”karst” refers to a type of terrain, usually formed on carbonate rock (limestone and dolomite) where groundwater has solutionally- enlarged openings to form a subsurface drainage system. A mild carbonic acid produced from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, particularly the soil atmosphere, is primarily responsible for the solvent power of groundwater on carbonate rocks.

Seems to me that this could be a natural phenomenon. Subterranean caverns and fissures- suddenly or maybe even gradually opened up because rock disintegrated.

There are a fair number of stories about animals and small boats disappearing on Russian lakes. These, of course, are intertwined with Alien and Nazi/super-race abductions.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:21 PM
Im not surprised at this becuase ive seen it happen on a smaller scale before when i was a kid. My parents had a good size pond on thier property that kept having problems holding water, a neighbor reccomended putting pigs in the pond to pack the mudd and over time they would seal the leak. Two years later one pig stomped a little to hard i guess and opened up the cavern below creating a huge whirlpool that sucked the pond dry in seconds taking the pig and all. Oddly enough the mudd and crap that got sucked into the cavern must have finally blocked the leak becuase now it holds water.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 04:08 PM
*side note

The huge roller with 'cogs' in it to pack earth is called a sheepsfoot roller

external image

Old ranchers in the American southwest used sheep (borrowed from a sheeper I'm sure) to pack their dirt water tanks.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:53 PM
Just say we didn't do it...

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:54 PM
I heard a tale of something similar happening to a reservior in northern California, USA. a number of years ago.

The whole area is full of caves and "lava tubes" where magma cooled and essentially made concrete-like pipes all over the place.

Essentially, one eventually dissolved or cracked from a minor tremblor and *whoosh* the whole thing ends up workign it's way into the town's drainaige system...

water coming out of the manhole covers until the streets were flooded, until the water level in the reservior was below the cracked natural tunnel. All sorts of interesting things washing up, I was told.

Hopefully all that Russian lakewater didn't head deep enough to get heated by magma or anything. Otherwise, well, it's spectacular steam explosion time.

I'd love to see thermal imaging for a few miles in each direction...

Tinfoil hat time-the fastest way to prevent a reactor meltdown is to "SCRAM" it. Massively flood the thing to drop operating temperatures, cool metals so they stop thermal expansion, physically shatter the fuel rods and disperse them enough to stop the reaction. If a lot of "hot" steam shows up anywhere nearby, know what happened.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:53 PM

Phugedaboudet for leader!

Meltdown cover-up?

I LOVE it!

new topics

top topics