It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Tremendous Advance in Stem Cell Science

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azza
I cannot wait untill anyone with a moral objection to this magnificent research is pushing up daisies, Its ridiculously selfish to consciously indirectly cause suffering of a fellow human being merely because it interferes with your theological beliefs

I'm a C4/5 Quad 11years post this May 24th from a hockey injury. I struggle with my life daily enduring much pain (physical) and lack of dignity not to mention the life limitations. It all comes down to "Quality of life" and although I'm sure President Bush has absolutly no clue what my life is like I have to say I'm a fortunate one, I can live with my family.

Over the past 5 years it has indeed been few and far inbetween on any "good news" in the "hope for a cure" for paralysis. The loss of a major focus point (Christopher Reeves) was bad enough. This mornings news of the S.K. Scientists breakthrough was completely unexpected by myself and was a great source of hope to myself.

Unfortunetly President Bush only took mere hours to dash those hopes again, and for what? I ask how can a man be fit to run this great country and shape the future of the world, if he cannot understand the differance between "right to life" issues and medical cloning of a persons own cells to repair, replace, or heal. This threatens no life, but a culture of the patients own cells.

I'm just utterly distgusted, I only hope nobody close to this President has to endurer anything like myself or the peers I have met in my life of inmobility.

Edit for PS

BTW, Ityped this message with a stick that I bite down on with my teeth, just to give a little insight.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Ikema]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Thanks, Ikema, for sharing your perspective. I think that the public as a whole aren't really in touch with the personal side of medical hopes and breakthroughs, and if we are going to gain any ground in the battle of medical development versus blind self-righteous denial, then the public must put faces to illnesses and we must begin to associate smiles with cures.

It is easy to wave a pen and sign a veto when you have nothing to lose because you lack interpersonal experience with hopeful people that just need a chance.

If lawmaking was like criminal justice, then a jury of your peers would have no problem passing legislation that hurts no one and has the power to help so many... Too bad we'll never find that kind of purity in our democratic system as long as America remains a two-party country.

Zip

new topics

<< 1   >>

join