It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stem Cell Advancement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Recently in South Korea, a technological breakthrough has been made in regard to Stem Cells. Its about time progress has been made on this potentially lifesaving technique.

Scientists create customized stem cells
WASHINGTON (AP) — South Korean scientists have dramatically sped up the creation of human embryonic stem cells, growing 11 new batches that for the first time were a genetic match to injured or sick patients.
It is a major advancement in the quest to grow patients' own replacement tissue to treat diseases.

The same scientists last year were the first to clone a human embryo. Now they have improved, by more than tenfold, their efficiency at culling these master cells, thus making pursuit of therapeutic cloning more practical.

"I didn't think they would be at this stage for decades, let alone within a year," said Dr. Gerald Schatten of the University of Pittsburgh. He acted as an adviser to the Korean lab in analyzing its data, which was being published Friday in the journal Science.

Read Full Article Here

The potential good to come from this is unbelievable. It strikes me as insanity as to why people do not embrace this technology. At least some country has the balls to sponsor these facitlities. This is the number one reason I want Bush out of the White House. I can live with the war. But to ignore the vast market for this product is crazy. Maybe in a few years when people are flocking to foreign hospitals to get the life-saving organ they need will we realize our mistake. The US government needs to fund this technology before we fall even farther behind countries such as South Korea.

join