It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opus Dei:Brainwashers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think most of us are fairly familiar with the Catholic organisation Opus Dei but for those who live in the dark and are not heres a brief history.

It all begins in 1902 when St. Josemaria Escriva, the founder of Opus Dei was born. His father died in 1924 and a year later he set up his ministry in a small parish. Then in 1928 he saw that God wanted him to found Opus Dei and thats what he did. Opus Dei's mission is to find God and seek Holiness in daily life and work. Anyway Escriva died in 1975 and was beatified in 1992 and cannonized in 2002.

After his death Opus Dei had already been in many countries and had become a personal prelature of the church.

But then there is The Dark Side, not like Star Wars or anything but what goes on "on the other side of the curtain" if you know what I mean?

Opus Dei have been accused of brainwahing its members so that they "donate" their savings to Opus Dei. And many members wear a cilice or use the discipline, which I will provide a link with pictures. The Cilice is really just barbed wire worn around the waist for 2 or more hours and thhe discipline is a whip, guess what they use that for?

Opus Dei recently completed a $47 million HQ at 247 Lexington avenue, new york. The men are accoustically and visually seperated from the women at all times and enter through seperate entrances. The men eat while the women clean and the men sleep on straw mattresses while the women sleep on hardboard floors (I think).

Now those links:

Opus Dei awareness network
Opus Dei

[edit on 19/5/05 by Atomix]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The Cilice is really just barbed wire worn around the waist for 2 or more hours and thhe discipline is a whip, guess what they use that for?

The mortification of the flesh is a surprisingly common and widespread religious practice. The monks of bygone eras used to do this. They'd 'flagellate' themselves, literally whip themselves.

Also, recall, after the overthrow of Sadaam, that the Shia were now permited to practice their religion. One of the first things done was to restart this sacred pilgrimage/festival to their Big Holy Shrine. The processionals would flagellate themselves, you could see these large crowds passing by, lightly whipping themselves, with their backs having been whipped raw and bleeding. You could also see men sort of dancing, tapping big knives on their skulls, blood covering their body, and even their children being ritually cut.

Or look at the tibetan peasants, who will crawl miles on hands and knees to get to Llama Shrines, calloused, dirty and bruised, giving the small amount of money they have to the temples, suffering.

Suffering is a commonplace in religion. Opus Dei doesn't need to 'brainwash' people to get them to do it. They are a traditionalist sect, they have the laity incorporated into the Church Structure, rather than be passive participants in presit led ceremonies. They're ascetic to a degree. Usually this is seen as a virtue.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I went to the link that you provided, and read the FAQ that Opus Dei provided.

All of the "dark side" activities you mention are directly addressed in the FAQ. For example:

"Myth: Opus Dei brainwashes, coerces, or pressures members and potential members.

Fact: Opus Dei has complete respect for people’s freedom. It’s ludicrous to think that the Pope and bishops worldwide would support an institution that didn’t. In this era of relativism, there are plenty of people who will call teaching the faith, giving spiritual guidance, and being a Christian witness “brainwashing,” “coercion,” and “recruiting” or “proselytism.” Nowadays consenting adults are free of criticism for doing almost anything – anything apparently except trying to help people grow in their faith and practice it in their daily life".

"Myth: Opus Dei makes its members practice dangerous corporal mortifications.

Fact: Each Lent, the Church reminds people that sacrifice is part of the spiritual life. To help its members follow this teaching, Opus Dei encourages them to make small sacrifices, such as persevering in their work or listening to those in need. The Catholic tradition also includes other penances, such as fasting and the use of a cilice or discipline, as means for deepening one’s union with Christ. Many saints, including Opus Dei’s founder, St. Josemaría Escrivá, have practiced such penances in a heroic way. Some celibate members of Opus Dei and of other Church institutions freely follow some of these customs, though in a mitigated way. They do so subject to the advice of their spiritual director and in a way that is never harmful to their health, completely unlike The Da Vinci Code’s distorted representation. These kinds of sacrifices are certainly not a focus in Opus Dei, which emphasizes integrating faith with the activities of everyday life".

So, my question to you is: are you just re-stating readily-available facts about Opus Dei that many of us are already aware of, or are you trying to imply someting specific about Opus Dei? The Opus Dei website was much more enlightening than your post.............

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I was actuallt alking about how they brainwash people into giving them their life savings. Thanks for the critisism guys!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
in my line of work, I work directly with OD. They are one of my clients. I've been to meetings at the office in NYC, and in westchester NY.

They have missionaries all over the world. they are very dedicated to their faith, and to their members. They do have some who punish themselves, and they suffer hardships for a reason.

They are not part of the NWO, vatican conspiracy, satan worshippers, money launderers or brain washers.

I would encorage you to see how they respond to all the usual accusations in thier own words....

www.opusdei.org...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
They are not part of the NWO, vatican conspiracy, satan worshippers, money launderers or brain washers.

I never said anything about the NWO although.......................

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I won't go into conspiracy theories, but it's no secret that Opus Dei represents a more conservative part of the spectrum of the Catholic church than, say, the Jesuits or the Franciscans. I believe there was some controversy over whether or not the next pope would be a member. John Paul II was not a member.

-koji K.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
I won't go into conspiracy theories, but it's no secret that Opus Dei represents a more conservative part of the spectrum of the Catholic church than, say, the Jesuits or the Franciscans. I believe there was some controversy over whether or not the next pope would be a member. John Paul II was not a member.

-koji K.

At least this guy doesn't insult me!
Remember we're all here to learn! Maybe I'll just where one of those stickers that says help me learn!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix

-koji K.

Remember we're all here to learn! Maybe I'll just where one of those stickers that says help me learn!

you insulted an entire organization based on a website link. A questionable website at best. which is worse ?

You can learn to have a balanced view bu going to the link I posted. I'm sure you'll scoff at it as a cover-up, but I think you might learn something

I asked them about the pope, they told me the only influence they have is in prayer.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think you're all misunderstanding me, I never insulted Opus Dei, I just wanted to see if these things were true. Notice how theres a question mark after brainwashers. I'm all for God and religion and what not but if youre all just going to critisise its hardly a discussion.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

The Cilice is really just barbed wire worn around the waist for 2 or more hours and thhe discipline is a whip, guess what they use that for?

The mortification of the flesh is a surprisingly common and widespread religious practice. The monks of bygone eras used to do this. They'd 'flagellate' themselves, literally whip themselves.

Also, recall, after the overthrow of Sadaam, that the Shia were now permited to practice their religion. One of the first things done was to restart this sacred pilgrimage/festival to their Big Holy Shrine. The processionals would flagellate themselves, you could see these large crowds passing by, lightly whipping themselves, with their backs having been whipped raw and bleeding. You could also see men sort of dancing, tapping big knives on their skulls, blood covering their body, and even their children being ritually cut.

That is another pagan tradition handed down to islam.

Ki 18:28 And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.
1Ki 18:29 And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Pretty graphic images, are you sure your allowed post them? Do they let kids do that?!?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Pretty graphic images, are you sure your allowed post them? Do they let kids do that?!?

Of course kids do it too. And what kid does not want to be like his father?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I think you're all misunderstanding me, I never insulted Opus Dei, I just wanted to see if these things were true. Notice how theres a question mark after brainwashers. I'm all for God and religion and what not but if youre all just going to critisise its hardly a discussion.

you're kidding, right ? you can't make an accusation, frame it as a question, then back up and say you meant no harm. doesn't work that way.

atomix:gutless ?

see what I mean ? its clearly an insult

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997

Of course kids do it too. And what kid does not want to be like his father?

Luke Skywalker of course! Don't you watch movies???

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

-koji K.

you insulted an entire organization based on a website link. A questionable website at best. which is worse ?

You can learn to have a balanced view bu going to the link I posted. I'm sure you'll scoff at it as a cover-up, but I think you might learn something

I asked them about the pope, they told me the only influence they have is in prayer.

Are you a member Syrinx?

Seems to me that opus dei dont go in much for 'balanced views'.....or am I looking at the wrong websites........

Spacemunkey

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
incase we havent figured it out "Opus Dei" is latin for Works for God.

Just a little info.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
My best friend and her family are all Opus Dei. They dont' whip themselves,
or anything strange. They aren't brainwashed and/or brainwashers either.

They are 'normal' people who pray daily and who go to Mass to worship
God often.

There are worse things in life to be than Opus Dei.
This is stupid thread.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I was actuallt alking about how they brainwash people into giving them their life savings.

As I said, my best friend and her family are Opus Dei. They definately
haven't given 'their life savings' to Opus Dei. They own their own home,
two cars, and are sending two kids to college. They give the
average/usual amount to their local church as well as other worthy
organizations.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Okay okay....This was ages ago when I thought the Da Vinci code was fact, I understand now, soz...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join