It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers Vanish In 'Snow Tsunami' (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Five Chilean soldiers are confirmed dead and 95 are still missing after a fierce snowstorm in the Andes mountain range. A total of 433 troops have been affected in the Los Barros range in southern Chile, close to the Argentinian border. Chile has admitted that senior officers at Army headquaters are struggling to cope with the disaster.

news.bbc.co.uk
"Five soldiers died and 95 are missing after a "tsunami of snow" struck during a large-scale exercise", said army chief Gen Juan Emilio Cheyre.

"A unit of this type, surprised by a tsunami of snow, is trained to stop, so it is possible that they are all camping," he said.

Of the 433 troops on exercise, 47 were effectively refugees in the "white zone", with a further 114 in the Los Bajos area.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is well known that more soldiers die on exersice than in combat situations and this just proves it!

Lets just hope that the soldiers are trained well enough to cope in a situation like this and that the death count stays the way it is!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
"Tsunami of snow" Is that what we formerly called an avalanche, or is that something different, altogether?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

"Tsunami of snow" Is that what we formerly called an avalanche, or is that something different, altogether?

Its just what the interviewed soldier called it! Like a wall of snow i presume!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
'tsunami of snow'

Boy, next thing I'll read about is a 'volcano of water and ice'

Besides that, sad situation when people get hurt or killed by nature.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hmm...it looks the BBC is making up new phrases here. I think it really is a blizzard, but I guess it could be an avalanche as well. Hard to tell.

[edit on 5/19/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Nothing but a good old fashioned avalanche. Thats sad.

new topics

top topics

join