It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High level govenment jobs are are fixed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I attend a junior college and one of my teachers is a very smart sociologist professor. he has a doctorate along with quite alot of experience. the funny thing is he's worked for the u.n and many other international organizations. But when he applied to work over seas for the state department he had to take a test like most people. here is one of the questions, who was the secretary of state under ulysses s. grant. what does that have to do with working for the state department . here the funny part when he was working for the u.n he had a lunch with someone who worked for the state dapertment. so he told him about the test and some of the ridiculous questions he had. first of all this guy who worked for the state department was the son of a senator. so when my teacher told him about the questions the guy laughed. he said questions like that were used to keep regular guys like my teacher out of the state department and other government postitions. he said schools like yale and harverd have courses on foreighn relations that were based on tests for the state department and the such. basically he was saying when you go to those prestigious colleges like that they teach you how to pass the tests to get good government positions.they have one up on everyone els

[edit on 19-5-2005 by mastergallo]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
the guy your professor had lunch with is a smarmy ass. he was rubbing in your professors face, just for the sake of it. I have a question for you.

Should regular Joe's have high level gov't jobs, or Ivy league grads ?

Try getting a job as president of a bank by being smart and having experience, but no fancy degree. Its how the world works.

there's nothing to see here, move along

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I cant really answer that question. But i think the most qualified person should no matter what school or degree he has. But it seems if you come from any ivy league college you would probally be determined to be the most qualified

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Do you really think such favortism exists (only) in the goverment?
That idealism is prevenet throught american society and in the busissness world. You can the most qualified person ever for a posistion but your qualifications do not garauntee you the position. It also takes personality, as well who you know. to cement the job.

Sorry, forgot to add the word only as it is needed to refelct the correct point of this post

[edit on 19-5-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
as you just read i know it exists.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

who was the secretary of state under ulysses s. grant. what does that have to do with working for the state department

Nothing...it's just a darn question on a test...and the test you speak of is the Foreign Service Exam, kind of the like the ASVAB for the military only this is for overseas DOS.

I work overseas with ALL State Dept people, only for my job no FSE was required. All DOS people who wish to work at Embassies overseas must pass it so they can become part of the Foreign Service. Iam DOD that's why I did not have to take it.

Its just an Aptitude test to see how well one places and what fields they might be better in. Everyone from Computer techs, to Political-Economy officers to Public affairs people have to pass the test.

There is no conspiracy, your title is misleading and Gov the jobs you speak of are not fixed....smart or not, college or no college...it's the same test for all who wish to be in the FS. Anyways, most people take it early in life when they first get a DOS job....hint hint, back when they have "low level" jobs........

Geez...what is college teaching kids these days...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
There is even a study guide for the Foreign Service Exam

Most of the guys I know who work for DOS are regular guys and gals....
No conspiracy there.

Most of the DOS computer guys are you average pimple faced star trek loving guys that help fix my PC whenever it goes bad....

Most of the Pol-Econ Officers are Liberals

The RSO people are generally right-wingers

The PAS people are could be either....more toward the left...

see it's just like ATS....all kinds of people

BTW: Your teacher is probably just pissed off cause he flunked a test that is really super easy

[edit on 19/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think a lot of employment exams out there ask questions such as this to get a more 'round' picture of the person. I used to know a guy who applied for a police officer position and one of the questions was what would you do if a foreign enemy sailed a nuclear sub up the river next to the town. Obviously there is no real answer so it is more to just get a bigger picture of the applicant based on their answer. By the way, he answered that he would get in his battleship and go sink the sub.... he got the job

top topics

join