It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING revelations of the NY Times about the current situation of the War in Iraq,2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Transcriptions from the NY Times, May 19, 2005
War:
"Iraqi security forces" vs. "drivers bound with duct tape"
Costs of the war:
"US spends $5.7 billion to build up Iraqi security forces"
Current situation:
"Iraqi security forces are behind"
Final Outcome:
"It´s much more likely to succeed, but it could still fail."
In one line:
US spends $5.7 billion to build up security forces fighting drivers bound with duct tape, yet they are behind, but they are much more likely to succeed.

NY Times

[edit on 19-5-2005 by MattMarriott]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
What?

Also registration required links suck.

Please explian what you are talking about, i get the money used to train iraqi forces... but duct taped drivers?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
As I don't get the NY Times, can you please explain what you are trying to say a little more clearly? Is this a combination of headlines?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

but duct taped drivers?

He is reffering to another thread that talks about Insurgents duct taping civilians to the wheel and pedal of cars and forcing them to be suicide bombers.....

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yet another post that doesnt make any sense, please explain...

*sighs*

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Quotes are excerpted from the article to resume what according to the NYT is going on in Iraq.

This is how the article starts.

Generals Offer Sober Outlook on Iraqi War
By JOHN F. BURNS and ERIC SCHMITT

In Baghdad, a senior officer said Wednesday in a background briefing that the 21 car bombings in Baghdad so far this month almost matched the total of 25 in all of last year.

Against this, he said, there has been a lull in insurgents´ activity in Baghdad in recent days after months of some of the bloodiest attacks, a trend that suggested that American pressure, including the capture of important bomb makers, had left the insurgents incapable of mounting protracted offensives.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
um if you duct taped someone to a wheel wouldnt they just be crushed to death? how would they drive down there?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
um if you duct taped someone to a wheel wouldnt they just be crushed to death? how would they drive down there?

That would be taping to the steering wheel.

I will refrain from asking whether you were joking or having a blonde moment.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
well i used to be blonde but now im a brunette

edit: according to dictionary.com brunette is only used for females.. im a guy :S black hair now, pure white when i was little

[edit on 5/19/05 by RedDragon]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm glad i'm a brunette, with blood circulating properly thru the brain (most of the time)

Thanks for the laugh

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Yeah, i dont quite get this either. How is taping drivers to the steering wheel by insurgents the us fault. This whole thing is propaganda becuse most of the left did not like the way the election turned out, so the will run as much anti-american propaganda as possible to make the administration look bad. yet another example of the abuse of the media.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Dear all,

This is another of MattMarriot's illegible threads.

His connection to reality is slight. His grasp of English is even more tenuous.

Example "excerpted" - does anyone know what this means?

Surely the word extracted would have been more appropriate in that sentence?

Cheers

BHR

p.s. for those not acquainted with MM check out some of his other postings and threads.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules

What's not clear? Have you had your cofee yet?

His grasp of English is even more tenuous.

Get yourself a dictionary already. And/or finish high school.

Main Entry: 1ex·cerpt
Pronunciation: ek-'s&rpt, eg-'z&rpt, 'ek-", 'eg-"
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Latin excerptus, past participle of excerpere, from ex- + carpere to gather, pluck -- more at HARVEST
1 : to select (a passage) for quoting : EXTRACT
2 : to take or publish extracts from (as a book)

To Matt: thanks for the post.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Aelita]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think MM is reducing the situation to the most absurd phrasing possible. He seems to be making it look absurd that we are spending 5 billion dollars to pay for Iraqi policemen, whose actual job each day is to keep a lookout for suicide cars with local Iraqis whose wrists are taped to the steering wheel and who are then forced to drive the bomb-car or face the execution of their loved ones. I have read about this also.

Yes, it does sound absurd, but MM, you might want to make some kind of argument or try to persuade someone. The title of the post has "ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING" in it, but really, though this scenario is different from other wars, it's not really shocking. At least not to me. Since I am a member of your audience, your primary concern in posting a thread should be to get your ideas across to me and people like me who will read it.

Quoting part of the article would help too, at least the parts that clarify your statements.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'm working on my second cup and STILL can't make heads-or-tails of what youi're really trying to say. Okay, the insurgents tape the drivers hands to the steering wheel of these rolling bombs...big deal! The bigger deal here is MAYBE the drivers are NOT volunteers to the rebel cause.

Okay, I just went back and reread Matt's post. But why are you shocked that we've spent this kind of money training Security Forces? Keep in mind, what we're trying to build here, is something on par with the other forces in the region, but whose main goal is Internal Security.

If we're spending that kind of money anyway, and along the way, realize that drivers who are duct taped in their cars are rolling bombs...GOOD!

That's what's known as INVESTIGATIVE WORK.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Toelint]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Aelita,

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by BillHicksRules

What's not clear? Have you had your cofee yet?

His grasp of English is even more tenuous.

Get yourself a dictionary already. And/or finish high school.

Main Entry: 1ex·cerpt
Pronunciation: ek-'s&rpt, eg-'z&rpt, 'ek-", 'eg-"
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Latin excerptus, past participle of excerpere, from ex- + carpere to gather, pluck -- more at HARVEST
1 : to select (a passage) for quoting : EXTRACT
2 : to take or publish extracts from (as a book)

To Matt: thanks for the post.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Aelita]

I do not drink coffee. I am able to get through the day without drugging myself, shame you cannot.

As for your little cut and paste job from Dictionary.com, well done seems you have another skill you can add to your cv.

However, proper grammatical use of word extensions is not one of them. Maybe you should concentrate on getting yourself through high school before you worry about the rest of us.

Cheers

BHR

join