It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: US Navy to Test Norwegian Stealth Vessels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The U.S. Navy SEALs are becoming increasingly interested in Norwegian stealth "Skjold" vessels because of their ability to elude radar screens. Norway hopes to strike a deal with the U.S. to sell the crafts to the special forces unit.

www.norwaypost.no
The US elite force Navy Seals has shown considerable interest in the Norwegian high speed patrol boats of the "Skjold" class, built with stealth technology, Aftenposten reports.

The stealth technology makes the vessels difficult to detect by radar.

The US Navy had one patrol boat on loan for a year for test purposes, and the Norwegian Umoe Mandal Yard has now entered into a contract with the Navy Seals for a further study and evaluation of the suitability of the new patrol boats for US purposes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These boats are totally awesome. Increasingly, we are borrowing technologies and designs from other countries in many industries. Is this just another example of the U.S. losing their technological edge?

Related News Links:
www.aftenposten.no

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Good article. I think it's more of a situation of other countries developing technologies that they have more experience with. The Norweigans for example have a very good naval sector given that they were NATO's frontline nation keeping the Soviet Baltic Fleet "contained."

-koji K.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Here's a cool site all about the boat:

The P-960 KNM Skjold.

The Skjold class encompasses state of the art technology and is founded on the strong Norwegian naval experience in operating small and fast surface warships in the littorals with a heavy weapon load. The flexibility inherent in Skjold is interesting also to other navies. The ship and her Norwegian crew were in the U.S. for tests and trials together with the U.S. Navy from Okt 01 to Sept 02.

The site has a video of this thing firing its anti-ship missile or something, I can't view it from work.

external image

EDIT Here is another really good site:

www.naval-technology.com...

Zip

[edit on 19-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I still don't get why its painted with ground camoflage. Shouldn't it be some type of blue or gray?? I guess it would come in handy in the jungles of Vietnam or similar areas, but there are far better colors for open water than green and brown. Just curious...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I still don't get why its painted with ground camoflage. Shouldn't it be some type of blue or gray?? I guess it would come in handy in the jungles of Vietnam or similar areas, but there are far better colors for open water than green and brown. Just curious...

It's probably a demo model, just painted that way because potential buyers would probably be using it in rivers or such, it being a littoral craft. That's my guess.

-koji K.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
One of the articles states that it was painted meticulously to be camoflouged with the (edit: coastal waters of the) fjords and whatnot near Norway.

Zip

[edit on 19-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
one of the biggest issues to resolve is the flammability of the composites used in it's contruction. Like the composite tank the British are developing. Hard to get started but hit it hard enough and hot enough and it burns releasing toxic gasses. Not a good thing for a combat vessel. Perhaps a formulation change

Repairs are difficult as well. Once a hole is made in a composite panel, you have to replace the whole panel. Filling the hole leaves it severely structurally compromised.

As for this being some sort of sign about loss of technical edge? This is how America has always done business-a melting pot of ideas, cultures, and peoples. We got the idea of the tank from the British, and the Harrier VTOL jet was a British design. Modern rocketry from German scientists, and many other technological inventors who found America the best place to innovate, or found America to be the best paying customer so improvements could be made.

The Bofors automatic cannon that is spec'ed to be mounted on the operational hulls, is another sweet toy I'd like to add to the arsenal. An unmanned turret, and computer controlled selection between types of ammunition on the fly, and an arse-kicking firing rate. MMmmmm-Swedish goodness.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well if this boat is as good as it seems to be I hope the seals will get it, or at least something like it. The seals are supose to be the elete so I hope they get the best to work with that is avaible.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Here is another link, intresting project!
And I think its good that the US is evaluating other countries ships, we need diversity.

new topics

top topics

join