It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Principal Forces Fifth Grader to Remove Cornrow Braids

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
old man checking in here. if I had my way, schools would be a place of learning, and PARENTS would teach kids about society, individuals and freedom of choice. my big rebellion in HS was having a mullet. back in the day ('85) it was called hockey hair or soccer hair.

I think this is the deal.... my dad had to shave his beard to keep his job. He was a mid-manager at one of the baby bells. this is a life lesson. you can't show up for work in a tube top or baggy jeans and expect to get ahead. isn't that an important lesson to learn as well ????

IBM

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Oh geeze you folks, the school probably has some sort of dress code or something, when I used to be in high school we werent allowed to wear extreme hairstyles. This is simply one example of it. The prinipal did the right thing.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
some people question the race of those involved. what does it realy matter? race, ethnicity, religion, all matter not. who cares if it was a white kid? does it realy add more relivance if the kid was black? NO, what matters is a person's right to choose. for crying out load it's not like he was wearing a mariwan plant as a hat or something. get realistic in the fact that hair has NOTHING to do either helpfull or hinderance to learning.

as for company standerds about hair/beards. again that is not realy done acording to peoples rights, and freedoms. i will say that my company had such rules. they could not enforce them. even manager's have begun to sport beards since i had mine. again hair/beards lend nothing to the ability to be a hard, earnest worker. such "dress codes" should all be abolished.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM
Oh geeze you folks, the school probably has some sort of dress code or something, when I used to be in high school we werent allowed to wear extreme hairstyles. This is simply one example of it. The prinipal did the right thing.

The link to the article is in the very first post. It does state that the school does not have a written code regarding hair styles. If it did, well then this whole thing would be a non issue, regardless of race.

some people question the race of those involved. what does it realy matter? race, ethnicity, religion, all matter not. who cares if it was a white kid? does it realy add more relivance if the kid was black? NO, what matters is a person's right to choose. for crying out load it's not like he was wearing a mariwan plant as a hat or something. get realistic in the fact that hair has NOTHING to do either helpfull or hinderance to learning.

I agree to an extent. The only way it would be a hinderance is if it was some style that prevented other students from lets say seeing the chalk board as the hair was blocking students view. Heck even in that case, I could understand moving the child with the hairstyle to a seat that didn't block the view of other students.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join