It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English Language inadequate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It's the color you were after. Truly.

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   
masked...that doesn't help much...but I guess I'll have to live with that answer.

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Once you realise that our society has been manipulated from the beginning, it�s easy to see the language probably was too, by whom, those who want to keep the human race subordinate and under control. Some may say the colours that exist that we don�t have words for are new colours, brought to light by new electro magnetic experiments and ways of thinking but, what seems to be new technology in many cases is actually old and hidden knowledge.

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I like that quantum, I agree with you that we have been condisioned in this way.
We can only communicate in the way that we have been taught, and unfortunately, the whole education system is just mass indoctrination.
Only what THEY want us to know will be taught, whilst the truth will be kept for the chosen.

I feel there is change in the air though, my friend!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thanks pixilair, John Hutchison who is pioneering work which produces results like: the levitation of objects, the jellification of metals, transparent metals and the disappearance then reappearance of objects. He is developing a zero point energy cell, which would give free energy, he says himself the technology is not new, he has an interest histories technology like ancient Egypt�s electrical batteries, which inspires him.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   
they should make german the offical language

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I shall refrain from being drawn on linguistics here; but Melchizidek's point interested me: it's not new. When I was up at university in England, the computer companies focused on Classicists (not for example mathematicians) when they came to Cambridge and Oxford to recruit would-be programmers. This was the very early 80's: nothing new under the sun.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I must apologies for my English in some of the topics and posts i am usually quite drunk when posting so i am trying not to post whilst under the influence of alcohol, like now i am not drunk.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 04:25 AM
link   
As for "Xanthippe" -mock, she was, of course, the notoriously shrewish wife of Socrates -on a colour, I don't know but "xanthos" is Ancient Greek for yellow (Modern Greek -Estragon winces at the language -is "kitrinos' as in citron), if that is any sort of clue.
Her name in full would be xanthe (feminine) + "hippe" (from "horse"= "filly", I guess): so yellow as a horse colour? "Bay" I imagine.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Estragon

As is always the case your etymological ability is impressive.

I meant xanthippe only in the shrewish sense, that is, that an overbearing hostile wife IS her own color not otherwise identifiable in the spectrum.

For you to link it to the color was above and beyond the call of duty.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Thanks, Masked-A but I thought it possible: if you see some of the names that UK paint manufacturers dream up for their rubbish "xanthippe" would be mild! Nothing is ever "blue": it's "Aegean waves" or "Wedgewood Sapphire" or some such.

zed

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
English is basicly one of the Germanic languages but its vocabulary is heavily influenced by the classical languages like Greek and Latin. A lot of words come from French from the times of the Norman occupation. Even a few hundredd years ago (someone clarify this please) French was used in the legal system. More recently English has adopted words from Englands colonies.

Language reflects the environment of the people who speak it. For that reason, Inuit languages have many differnt expresions for snow and English has many for rain. Apparently there are some Papuan languages that only have 2 colours, light and dark or earthy natural colours and others. Even the interpretation of colours varies from language to language. The dividing line between blue and green is different in English and Japanese.

The reason we don't have words to descibe the paranormal etc is not because it is hidden from us but because not enough people have experienced it. For most people it is not part of their environment so there is no need for such words.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Britain is still, technically, governed in mediaeval French, zed: royal assent to a bill is still written "La reine le veult" ( the queen wishes it) and, on the rare occasions that assent is denied "La reine s'avisera": "the queen will think about it."
And French -like Latin - is all over our legal system still.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
is inadequate when dealing with unknowns... It must adapt when these ideas, concepts are introduced.

Could someone have talked intelligently about modern computers in 1700? No, the language was inadequete... Sure, it would suffice for general discussion, much as our language suffices now for general discussion on the reality of existence. But, it (language) would fail once trying to delve into the intracacies, and details of it.....

zed

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Britain is still, technically, governed in mediaeval French, zed: royal assent to a bill is still written "La reine le veult" ( the queen wishes it) and, on the rare occasions that assent is denied "La reine s'avisera": "the queen will think about it."

I thought you had got rid of all that. You learn something everyday.

[Edited on 14-8-2003 by zed]

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I don't think the concept in the original post holds. I don't think the limitations of our language hold us back. As new discoveries are made, they are expressed in whatever means possible, if that is not adequate, new words are created so the concept can be expressed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join