It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blown Out Of My Mind By Episode III!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Im not going to say I didnt like it but I have some gripes with the movie.
Some Mild Spoilers by the way....

Number 1 Whats up with the clone troopers? At no point does it seem like they're going to be phased out as a military unit. So from a continuity standpoint the movies suggest that stormtroopers and TIE fighter pilots are still clones which kind of defeats the purpose of calling the Clone Wars the Clone Wars.

Number 2 Where does the Rebellion come from? I mean you'd think theyd mention how they go from nonexistence to whupping Imperial butt. All of a sudden they just kind of pop up in IV with no back history.

Number 3 That whole younglings thing was just ridiculous in my opinion. It was just a too obvious attempt to pull the audiences heartstrings. Seeing the other characters getting worked up over "younglings" was just silly my opinion if your going to make up a word put some effort into it at least. Call them children call them kids even call them Jedi students but "younglings" just doesnt fly with me.

Number4 I hate how they portrayed Darth Vader at the end of the movie. I mean come on I literally cringed when he yelled no at the end. He was two seconds away from snapping her neck like a toothpick all of a sudden Im supposed to believe he's going to bug out breaking everything in the room and yell no at the top of his longs like a some kind of bad movie cliche?

Number 5 By the way why did they have the Vader suit ready for him basically the moment he gets to the operating room helmet and everything? I mean come on do the Sith mass produce Vader Suits so you can just pull one off a rack in case your apprentice gets barbecued? I was always under the impression Vaders outfit didnt start out that way and he modified it to suit his needs.

Number 6 Why did the Emperors face melt? Im supposed to believe that Luke gets zapped almost to the point of death yet suffers no scars but the Emperors face melts after a few seconds of secondhand exposure thats so mild he just gets up like its nothing a few seconds later?

Number 7 Speaking of the Emperor why on earth did they turn him into a giant smeagol looking guy? Half the time he's prancing around hissing at the camera making all sorts of stupid faces acting like an all around freak and not the somber future ruler of the galaxy. They turned him into a joke.

Theres more but Im through ranting and honestly I feel bad bashing one of my favorite Sci Fi universes. Dont take me seriously Im just deeply dissatified and upset they basically threw out over a decades worth of what was percieved to be canon literature to make some (in my opinion) second rate movies. The whole thing just seemed too forced in my opinion like Lucas left the whole thing to the last minute and was up till four in the morning the night before it was due righting the Star Wars preuels. I dont believe for a second that he wrote out these scripts decades ago or even wrote a full plot synopsis for that matter.

On the plus side they did some things well in my opinion for instance the crippling of Darth Vader (presuit) was spot on in my opinion and the fact he has mechanical legs explains the Anakin Vader height discrepancy. Also I liked the protostar destroyers they were the only technological foreshadowing that didnt come off as forced to me.

Im just glad its over its getting late so
Good Night Folks.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I had read a late edition script (98%-99% made it to screen) and it explain a few blanks, some of the gripes you brought up.

Script:
scripts.cgispy.com...

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD….

The rebellion: originally there was a meeting between some of the senators Padme, Organa (jimmy smits character, not sure on the name) and a few others, discussing growing concern over Palpatines increasing power and appointing governors to over see the different star systems and what countermeasures they should take if he didn’t step down after general Grievous was captured. During this meeting The contemplated speaking with the council but felt unsure of what position they would take, Padme in another meeting said she may know a wise jedi that may be of help (she was alluding to Kenobi I’ll explain later) any way in the script this was before Anakin started ranting about the jedi Council and their hidden intentions (his secret mission) and Padme started voicing her concerns of Palpatine and Anakin told her she sounded like a separatist and she had that shocked look on her face. From her reaction on film I think they may have shot the scenes I had read because there is a couple of others things that are not fully explained in the movie but made sense to me because I had read the other script. There is also a few of other scenes which fully explains the beginnings of the rebellion. There is also a scene where QUI-GON speaks with yoda and tells him of his new powers which is never shown in the movie.

I agree with the whole younglings thing completely, and how fast he turn from reluctantly helping palpatine against windu to outright slaughtering the kids in such a cold manner, every other Questionable or “dark” turn he has done was done under strong emotion and rage like when his mother died, revenge with Dooku and fear for padme when he turns on windu, even his force chocking of padme and outright sloppiness facing obi wan. But it also explain that to save padme he must be strong enough to destroy every single jedi if he hopes to ever save padme from her fate.

The scream at the end felt soooooooooooooooo out of character, in the script it was a lot better, even the emperor had to use the force to protect himself from his rage at learning of padme deaths at his hands. And the slow coming to a stand scene was just awful. And how did they jump so fast from clone wars tech, uniforms and protocols to empire/original trilogy uniforms and ships, seem way too force for me just like the vader suit. If they would have emphasize that some time had pass since the dual on mustafar or however you spell it to the scene at the end it would have cleared up a few things.

Unto the emperor looks, it seem to be that the emperor’s alterations had something to do with his huge exertion of power than to the actual damage of it being redirected at him.

Another thing with the emperor was that a subplot was that the emperor starting going all Iago (Othello reference) that obi wan was a bit distracted because he was having a relationship with a certain senator and it was a well known secret, Anakin quickly defended him and felt shock because it was extremely close to his own situation with padme but the chancellor continually pokes at Anakin’s trust in both padme and obi wan through out the movie in other scenes. Anakin had already been suspicious of Kenobi because when he had his nightmare about padme dying padme suggested that he speak with obi wan and Anakin became angry and suspicious and ask her if she had been talking to him behind his back ( a continuing them and sub plot). Later on we see the scene where he had sensed that obi wan had been in Padme Apartment and henceforth his jealousy of Kenobi and padme had started which is why he was even more incense at the end when he thought padme had brought him along with her. They had an earlier scene where padme and Kenobi had met with, he had gone there to ask padme about Anakin and his recent emotional outburst (the scene where he doesn’t receive his tittle) recent emotional stress and his close ties to the chancellor she he says that he knows that they (anakin & padme) are close and that neither of them is good at hiding their feelings for each other but he promises to keep this from the rest of the council since they are both his friends. Later on when another secret meeting takes place, she mentions that she knows a jedi that might help but the other senators decide to first shore up their support in the senate before going to the jedi.

Theres a few other things, that would have completed the movie more but probably added at least another 40 or so minutes, check out the link above really explains a lot but its long, took me a couple of hours to read the first time.

edited some typos

[edit on 5/27/2005 by Oblivions void]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Number 1 Whats up with the clone troopers?

Remember, there’s about 20 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Luke goes from just born to a young adult. The clone troopers, fit as they are, are now pushing like 50. Not to mention, many likely died in the numerous battles with the separatists, and then the Rebels, and Camino wasn’t exactly cranking out any more…

Number 2 Where does the Rebellion come from?

Many senators were NOT happy with the establishment of the Empire. Again, about 20 years between Sith and Hope. The Emperor doesn’t completely dissolve the Senate until A New Hope, so there is about 20 years for the Rebellion to be born and form. The principle leaders were of course Mon Mothma, and Bail Organna (Leia’s adoptive father), played by Jimmy Smitts.

Number 3 That whole younglings thing was just ridiculous in my opinion.

It took something MAJOR to change Anakin from hero of the first two movies, to someone the audience could now despise. While a little silly (he goes from saving the Emperor to slaying children seemingly overnight), it does accomplish the goal.

Number4 I hate how they portrayed Darth Vader at the end of the movie.

You have to remember Lucas’ basis for the movies, old Saturday serials…not too surprising really, but yes, corny.

Number 5 By the way why did they have the Vader suit ready for him basically the moment he gets to the operating room helmet and everything?

We are talking about a tech capable of traversing light years, I’m sure they could fabricate a bio suit pretty quickly…

Number 6 Why did the Emperors face melt?

Luke was combating the Force energy when he was getting hit…the Emperor couldn’t as he was the one generating it.

Number 7 Speaking of the Emperor why on earth did they turn him into a giant smeagol looking guy?

His secret was then out, so I guess he could simply be as evil as wanted to be in their presence. It was probably more to scare the kiddies with the evil Emperor more than anything else…but yes, I would have preferred a more subdued Emperor.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Luke was combating the Force energy when he was getting hit…the Emperor couldn’t as he was the one generating it.

I think you mean Anakin. Some guy on the first page wrote srta wars. Lets use proper grammer people!!!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a bit more on the rebelion....

In one deleted scene which was part of the Rebelion subplot there was a petiton of 2000 senators which were requesting the emperor to subdue his new empowerments and promise to step down as soon as grivies was capture, anakin was with the chancelor when Padme, Organa and a few other senators brought in the petition. The chancelor said that all would be fine once the separatist were subdue, he used this instance to futher instilll distrust in anakin of padme by saying that her actions were almost "seperatist' and that maybe anakin didn't know padme as much as he thought since she didn't tell him about her planes to get such a petiton (another sub plot completely deleted)

scripts.cgispy.com...
really clears up quite a few gaps in the movie, give it a look over if you have the time.......

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I think you mean Anakin. Some guy on the first page wrote srta wars. Lets use proper grammer people!!!

Nope...I meant Luke vs. the Emperor, as opposed to the Emperor vs. Windu...

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman

Number 2 Where does the Rebellion come from? I mean you'd think theyd mention how they go from nonexistence to whupping Imperial butt. All of a sudden they just kind of pop up in IV with no back history.

i believe that the rebellion is sepratist that are mentioned in the movie by palpatine and what not.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oblivions void
a bit more on the rebelion....

In one deleted scene
...(another sub plot completely deleted)

A lot of this stuff will probably come out in the directors cut DVDs.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
A lot of this stuff will probably come out in the directors cut DVDs.

I think so, I have a pretty good memory and all through out the movie I remember and recognized the lines from the script I had read and it seem to have been film and taken out, because it all seems to still be in there.

lIke anakin sensing obi wan there all though the scene wasn't shown

yoda haven spoken to qui quo while the scene wasn't shown

the scene with the senators when palpatine announces the formation of the empire has some lines dealing with the rebelion/2000 senators sub plot still in there. in original organa is supposed to come in tell padme that now is the time to see if the chancelor would keep his word and stand down since the war is over, when he announces the galactic empire or whatever bail is supposed to start rising is anger when padme tells him no now is not the time to act or something to that effect.

there is also the whole othello-esque angle of the padme-anakin-obi wan thing, you see anakin become angry at padme in 2 scenes in the movie when she brings up obi wan for little to no reason and then he completely looses it on mustafar when he see obi wan come out of padme's ship which leads to the tragic consequences.

there a few other things, I dont know from some of what I saw in the movie i'm pretty sure it was filmed some scenes seem to be spliced right out of the other script instead of having been rewritting and all the scenes and it's subplots taken out completely. all in all I would say this is my favorite movie in the series, I like the original trilogy but i wasn't a ga-ga dress up fan boy about it, I just thought they were great movies, not been so fanatical allowed me to enjoy the last to movies in the series a lot, I would go to say that attack of the clones and revenge of the sith are my favorites, phamton menace though still sucks, it was barely watchable for darth maul and well natillie portman is always hot, lol.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If you read the book The Last Jedi it goes on about Ben Kenobi laying the seeds of the rebellion. I actually liked the ROTS book better. It went into details like Darth Vader couldnt use Force Lightning because of his arms being gone.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
It went into details like Darth Vader couldnt use Force Lightning because of his arms being gone.

That's pretty cool. I never thought of it that way. So what uber-power does Yoda have to match the lightning power of the Sith? There has to be some equivalent, balancing power from the good side of the force.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

It went into details like Darth Vader couldnt use Force Lightning because of his arms being gone.

That's pretty cool. I never thought of it that way. So what uber-power does Yoda have to match the lightning power of the Sith? There has to be some equivalent, balancing power from the good side of the force.

Its to be immortal. Like Obi-Wan, Yoda. In fact Yoda said "to have influence after death is the greatest power of all" or something like that

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Force Absorbsion. Remember when Yoda was fighting that fallen Jedi(forget name sry) and he tryed to Force Lightning his ass and all yoda did was absorb it and turn it back on his ass heh.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
it was a great movie...

and i am not a huge SW fan either...

one question:

why didn't vader kill the emperor when he found out that padme died???

the emperor practically promised that she would live if he joined the dark side...

so he did and she still died...

i would have been pissed...

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

they see ALL said:
why didn't vader kill the emperor when he found out that padme died???

the emperor practically promised that she would live if he joined the dark side...

[wecomeinpeace said:
* Annakin has to be the most gullible buffoon in the universe. He swallows every single word that Palpatine pisses in his ear. Even at the end, he's like, "Where's Padme?" and the Emperor's like, "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...you sort of killed her...and uhh, stuff." ...and he believes it! WTF?!

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
uhhh...

didn't anakin REALLY kill her!?!?!?

anyway...

i would have gotten revenge by killing the emperor...

and thus, becoming the emperor...

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
didn't anakin REALLY kill her!?!?!?

How do you figure that??

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

How do you figure that??

didn't "his rage" kill her???

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
didn't "his rage" kill her???

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm pretty sure she was alive at the end to give birth to Luke and Leia. She died from "no will to live". Unless you mean she had no will to live because of Anakin's rage against her.

The Emperor was pulling his leg, tellin' a tall one, spinning a yarn, taking the piss.

[edit on 2005/5/29 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
wecomeinpeace is right. She died because of what Anakin did to the Jedi and the Republic.

Just got back from seeing it at a Digital Theater and let me tell you it was fricken awesome. Right up there with The Empire Strikes Back.

To all the peeps who didn't see it on a Digital screen, go and see it! Analog just doesn't do it justice, everything is so crisp and clear my jaw dropped at the opening sequence.

$ 9.95 well spent. And I'll be spending another 9.95 tomarrow

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join